LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Proud New Impala SS owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proud New Impala SS owner

Hey all,

I am not new to cars, but I am new to Chevys. I recently bought a Black 2006 Impala SS as my daily driver and I fell in love with it. In the past I have had low 11 second mustangs as daily drivers and so I am over all of that big time speed (and discomfort). I love the sleeper style of my SS as well as the creature comforts.

The mods i want to do must be understated and keep the car practical. My ideas are.........

1. Exhaust-- Do not want it to be loud and annoying. I like the stock sound, I would just like to raise the volume on it a little bit. Anyone know of the kit right for me?

2. Power Programmer-- I know nothing about these, any advice would be awesome. All of my other fast cars were carbureted.

3. LED taillights-- Like the subtle look they provide, but I want a good brand, no leaks! I would like them to be smoked a little but regular red ones are good too.

4. Black HID headlights-- same requirements as the taillights.

5. Finally, subtle lowering kit. A friend of mine lowered his 07 Avalanche to cut out the wheel well gap. Looks way better than any big set of rims I have seen, I would like to do the same.

Thanks guys, Hope to get some good info from the experts here!

Dan
Old 08-31-2009, 10:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by shafferdb
Hey all,

I am not new to cars, but I am new to Chevys. I recently bought a Black 2006 Impala SS as my daily driver and I fell in love with it. In the past I have had low 11 second mustangs as daily drivers and so I am over all of that big time speed (and discomfort). I love the sleeper style of my SS as well as the creature comforts.

The mods i want to do must be understated and keep the car practical. My ideas are.........

1. Exhaust-- Do not want it to be loud and annoying. I like the stock sound, I would just like to raise the volume on it a little bit. Anyone know of the kit right for me?

2. Power Programmer-- I know nothing about these, any advice would be awesome. All of my other fast cars were carbureted.

3. LED taillights-- Like the subtle look they provide, but I want a good brand, no leaks! I would like them to be smoked a little but regular red ones are good too.

4. Black HID headlights-- same requirements as the taillights.

5. Finally, subtle lowering kit. A friend of mine lowered his 07 Avalanche to cut out the wheel well gap. Looks way better than any big set of rims I have seen, I would like to do the same.

Thanks guys, Hope to get some good info from the experts here!

Dan
1. either just put on different mufflers, or you can get a full exhaust system from magnaflow.

2. Get a Diablosport Predator flash programmer, model U7191 -- http://diablosport.com/index.php?mod...display&pid=63

3. not sure about any LED taillight kits...

4. Hit up BuffaloSS and some others on here or over at http://www.naioa.com about the HID headlight info...

5. not sure about lowering kits...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 08-31-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Magnaflow catback offers a louder sound, but not as loud as Flowmaster. You can do the entire kit, or just the mufflers. It is not at all raspy

Diablo Predator, as ^^^ suggested. Plug-n-play. You can stick with their basic tune, or modify it. ^^^ is a good source for custom tuning with the predator.

Only one source for LED tails (ebay), and I don't have them since my OE tails are tinted, and I'm not paying to get new tails tinted again. No idea about quality of the units out there. ~$200

Black headlights - ebay - Projector headlights with LED sidemarkers ~$250. HID kit extra, but limited to H3 bulbs (not as powerful as OE H11 bulbs). nice cutoff line in projectors, but by no means as good as true projector kits out there.

I lowered the car with SSC springs for a considerable (almost 2") drop. Stick with stock struts. Ride is not too harsh, but you will feel the bumps. Improves handling as expected.

*** Buy STB kit from www.drcustomparts.com *** highly recommended.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:19 PM
Launching!

Welcome aboard...
Old 08-31-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

Predator but only if you get:

http://eprowebdesigns.com/DiabLew_Tune/

He is the best.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Teching In

I was looking into the diablo programmer, how much power can i realistically expect from that product and are there any negatives to using it? I see that it is a reasonably priced upgrade so I would expect it to only be worth 15-25HP. Hopefully I am wrong, I would like to be able to run with the new SHO as cheap as possible.

Also, Buffalo....can you send me a link to the springs you have. Also, the STB kit you reccomend....is that just for ride quality with the shorter spring?
Old 09-02-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Welcome
Old 09-02-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

The STB's will help alleviate body roll. Made a noticeable difference when I had them, especially the rear one. Don't know about 25hp with the Diablo. You're likely going to need more than just a tune and exhaust to run a new SHO.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by shafferdb
I would expect it to only be worth 15-25HP.
you are correct....

with using just their canned preset tune that's in the Predator, you will gain about 15-20 hp/tq... more with a custom tune...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 09-03-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 20SS07
You're likely going to need more than just a tune and exhaust to run a new SHO.
x2

Just put a little 100 wet shot on it! Then you won't have to worry about the SHO. (until they get a tune )
Old 09-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Teching In

^^lmao^^
Old 09-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Teching In

PS- The Magnaflow is far too overpriced in my opinion. Go to a decent exhaust shop and they should quote you a better price. 500+-900+ for a shiny silver magnaflow, or half that for a "custom" exhaust? Pipes all do the same thing, so if you want it a bit louder, but nothing crazy, buy some Magnaflow mufflers/tips (or keep the stock ones) and get a local exhaust shop to build you a 2.25 or a 2.50 exhaust on the cheap! My guy here in Delaware quoted me 480 with a full 2.5 cat-back upgrade, no resonator, welding up the flowmaster 40's, and welding on the tips. To me, that's more then worth it!
Old 09-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Definatly agree on the cheap exhaust. I like the look of the stock exhaust just fine. All I wanna do is turn the volume up about 20-30%.

My last car was an early 5.0 Mustang with a big cam and a roots blower. 2.5" pipes into 2 chamber flowmasters and 3" pipe out. I never want to suffer through that interior noise again. No stereo in the world would tune that out, plus my g/f (now wife) didnt even want to ride in it for long trips.

I like the stock sound at about 2500-3500 rpms and would like that similar sound a bit lower in the rpm band.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Just want to see how the pic in my sig looks, only real pic i have of the car currently.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Teching In

ug, one more time bonehead......semi-pro football causes brain damage, my apologies!
Old 09-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Congrats on the car!!!
Old 09-04-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just get the resonator removed to achieve the sound goals.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Teching In

If I remove the res will that make the interior alot louder?