LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

any one have lifter tick and oil consumption problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009 | 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Default any one have lifter tick and oil consumption problems

Every time I start the car on a cold start the lifters make noise for a second until they pump up. I think that is kind of common or normal with these cars and my car has always done this. This morning I start the car and the lifters do there normal noise for a second then I had one that was tick tick tick tick tick.............. not normal. I shut off the car and check the oil, and again there is no oil on the dip stick, but that is another issue the that dealer says is normal, lol. I drive to work and the car has been fine all day. Any one else have lifter noise? Any cures for the lifters? My car is under GM extended warranty and is going back to the dealer on monday and I hope they dont feed me a line of crap like last time.

I am 3500 miles into this oil change with 60% left on the OLM and I have no oil on the dipstick. My car uses a quart every 2500 - 3000 miles but the dealer will not do any thing about it because it is with in GM spec of 1 quart every 2000 miles. I use synthetic Mobil 1 usually but have changed to Castrol Syntech on my last change and the car uses the same amout of oil no matter what kind of oil in in there. Any one have any ideas on the oil consumption? Also it is not leaking anywhere.
Old 09-23-2009 | 09:28 PM
Launching!

My GXP uses oil on a regular basis also, about 1 qt every 3kmi or so. Nothing to worry about as a bunch of the LSx engines use oil. As for the tick, if it is lifter noise there is a TSB on it, it was posted here a while back. Only resolution was to change the lifters IIRC.
Old 09-24-2009 | 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by smug_GXP
Every time I start the car on a cold start the lifters make noise for a second until they pump up. I think that is kind of common or normal with these cars and my car has always done this. This morning I start the car and the lifters do there normal noise for a second then I had one that was tick tick tick tick tick.............. not normal. I shut off the car and check the oil, and again there is no oil on the dip stick, but that is another issue the that dealer says is normal, lol. I drive to work and the car has been fine all day. Any one else have lifter noise? Any cures for the lifters? My car is under GM extended warranty and is going back to the dealer on monday and I hope they dont feed me a line of crap like last time.
I get the lifter clatter for a second or two, as well. Talked to the dealer and they said it was normal. I argued the point and lost. This is the 5th Gen III/IV small block I've had and it's the first to make this noise, so I don't agree that it's normal.

I don't have the oil consumption problem that you mention, however.
Old 09-24-2009 | 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine does this too on a colder day. 65 or less degrees. I get no oil loss at all though.

-Mike
Old 09-25-2009 | 07:23 AM
Launching!

My 07 GXP has consumed oil since it was new. and the lifter tick has always been there. Cars in for some work so im getting the dealership (overheated + blown head gasket) to checkout out if any of my lifters are bad aswell to see if i cooked my engine.

Quick Reply: any one have lifter tick and oil consumption problems