LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

How Often Does This Happen To You?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Often Does This Happen To You?

Me: Walks in To a Parts Store (A good one, possibly even a dealer, not some fly by night used parts place): I need a X a Grand Prix GXP, one of the ones with a 5.3 Liter Engine.
Counter Guy: Oh a X for a Grand Prix, sure I have a whole bunch in stock.
Me: I highly doubt that.: You're sure it is for a GXP right? Not one of the 6 cylinder models. Here is my VIN, it checks out with that right?
Counter Guy: Oh yeah, this will fit just fine, let me go get the part.

The conversation will go on for a few more variations before it ends with the counter guy standing next to my car going: "Wow I've never seen a Grand Prix like this before." Plus of course the part doesn't fit because it was made for a GT or a GTP, not a GXP.

For example the dealership recently just tried to give me rear rotors for a baseline Grand Prix, which oddly enough don't fit my car. Do other guys have this problem or do I just shop at places with stupid parts people.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

Yeah happened to me with brake pads at Pep Boys. After assuring me that they would work, with me arguing that they're too small, I had to walk the guy out to my car and hold their pad up to my caliper through the wheel spoke. After that he still didn't believe me and told me to get pads wherever I bought my calipers from, saying that they're aftermarket.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Launching!

Normally I would research the part before hand and ask for it by part number.
Even then it might not fit.
The auto zone batteries I think duralast will not fit in my monte. Too wide and too long. It is listed on their site as a compatible replacement. Good thing though made go with an optima.

Never had a problem like this with a dealer.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had something like this happen at an oil change place....

The guy puts the oil in and checks everything etc...asks me to start it up and he keeps pulling the dipstick....

Checks the computer 2 times, asks his manager etc...

Comes to my window and says he put the correct amount of oil into the car but it is still low. I looked at the computer and he put down an 05 Monte SS not an 07...so I tell him he put the wrong year into his computer, and that the engine takes 6-6.5 qts to be full b/c its a V8...

He blinks at me and says this car is a V8???? I asked for the manager...they gave me 15 bucks off for all the confusion...

How did the guy not know it was a V8??? Do our engines look like a 3800 v6??
Old 09-30-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bryan921SS
Or sound like one for that matter? lol
Old 09-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Launching!

I have that problem the first couple of times I go to a new store, but after that they remember me and the car. I would not suggest Pep Boys for anything, too many problems there. Find a reliable parts store and keep using them. Somewhere that they dont have alot of employee turn over.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ran into that too when I tell them I have an 05. Now I tell them it's for an 06. Don't seem to have a problem now.

-Mike
Old 09-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Launching!

Ive had a similiar issue with oil changes. But it was a newer guy they just hired at a local dealership. He did the V6 oil amount instead of V8 and put in 5-30 non synth. When i made my case that i asked for synth and 0-30. They eventually gave me a free oil change. I never went back though.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:55 PM
Banned

I only go to the Advance in town and the guy that's always there knew about the GXP, but had never seen one before. Sad thing is I tried to order a lugnut from the dealership in town for my front wheel, they try to to sell me one for the rear.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

I do research on the parts too before i go in. I always tell them its the one with the v8 when they are looking up the parts but I used to work at AutoZone and know the regional manager in this area so i'll send an email if i have too big of a problem getting the part at the store.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

It's interesting how many of the ID goofs occur at oil change stations...if you look at the bottom of this page, check out the EZ Lube Oil Change Experts--
Old 10-01-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bryan921SS
I had something like this happen at an oil change place....

The guy puts the oil in and checks everything etc...asks me to start it up and he keeps pulling the dipstick....

Checks the computer 2 times, asks his manager etc...

Comes to my window and says he put the correct amount of oil into the car but it is still low. I looked at the computer and he put down an 05 Monte SS not an 07...so I tell him he put the wrong year into his computer, and that the engine takes 6-6.5 qts to be full b/c its a V8...

He blinks at me and says this car is a V8???? I asked for the manager...they gave me 15 bucks off for all the confusion...

I'm glad I'm able to perform all of my maintinence. I can't trust my car to a 17-18 year old lube tech.