LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Red Lining

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Red Lining

so... i redlined the car.. since it has a limiter and i have no idea how much this engine can be over revved i just wanted to ask.. am i gonna see problems in the future?

was cruising back from work today.. tired, yet glad to be out of work..
on the way back there is an empty road in an industrial area, flat, straight all i gotta worry about is semi's.. well im at a red light.. i say **** it.. put it in 2nd, launched as fast as i could without burning rubber.. usually i flip it in D as soon as i get around 5k rpm but this time i said eh its gonna shift on its own anyway..
yea, i was wrong.. engine redlined for like a quick second i flipped it to neutral as soon as i heard it.. car pretty much stopped pulling (obviously if it hadnt shifted to keep going..)
well drove home, nothing seemed wrong.. car shifted smoothly, no smells, no smoke..

my question is, (not that ima do it again) but for this incident was it bad to redline at all? or can our engines redline for a bit before actually ******* up?

thanks..
i have an 06 impala ss btw.. the bad tranny year..
Old 10-02-2009, 01:11 AM
Banned

I redline mine more than I should in TapShift. I typical try to shift it at 51/52, but some times the HUD skips right to 53, funny thing is it that it seems a little faster. I dunno if the Tap makes that big of a difference over column shifting, though.

I redlined my RX-7 in every gear, of course it was a manual and a rotary.

I figure it was worse to throw into N than to redline it, but I dunno, I'm still getting used to an auto, after driving the RX for so long.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:10 AM
Staging Lane

Factory rev limiter is set where it is for a reason. most motors can safely rev past what the factory limiter is set at but you have to remember teh manufacturer has a powertrain warranty that the have to stand by.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

You would have been better off bouncing off the rev limiter then putting it in neutral, NEVER PUT A TRANS IN NEUTRAL AT THAT RPM. Some people redline their engines daily and don't ever have a problem so no its not THAT bad for it, the Engineers made that engine to be beaten on to an extent. Leave it in Drive next time or use manual mode. Don't worry about hitting the limiter, it only slows you down.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

you worry to much
Old 10-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

whenever you drive WOT you're going to redline. why are you worrying?
Old 10-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Launching!

yes every time i go wot the engine goes all the way to the red and SHIFTS..
thats in D
what im saying is the car DIDNT shift.. i had done it a month ago in 2nd and it shifted at 6.1krpm thats why i was worried.. i guess i got too confident lol never doing that again..

but fosho.. ive just never had the engine go past 6,500rpm and stop puttin power to the wheels, in other words: not shift to the next gear..

cars runnin smoothly btw so its all good.. better to ask, then to drive worried not knowing.. thanks fellas..
Old 10-02-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

well when you hold it in 2nd its not going to shift into 3rd. Just leave it in drive and leave it to the floor.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDMC5
well when you hold it in 2nd its not going to shift into 3rd. Just leave it in drive and leave it to the floor.
Exactly. Goat - you left it in 2, and it didn't shift and you hit the limiter. You're fine, just manually shift to 3rd before redline.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:25 AM
Launching!

fosho thanks..

and thats wat i was tryna explain, it didnt hit any limiter, it kept going past 6k
it has shifted before though but i guess its only when at lower speeds, and not wot lol
Old 10-03-2009, 01:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

your shift points and your rev limiter are not the same. The stock shift point is 5400 rpm but the rev limiter is 6100 rpm....get it? You must have let off right before the limiter kicked in.

FYI, my buddy's car is set to shift out of 1st at 6200 rpm with a rev limiter set at 6400 rpm.......you are not going to hurt the engine.