LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

looking at ls4's

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 06:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a number of issues with my car but that was when it was under warrenty over 30K ago. It has been very good since then which makes me think the dealer has been messing with the car on purpose. Through all of it, the constant has been the driveline that has been steadfast. I only had to replace the battery a few thousand miles ago. Try not to go to the dealer if you don't have to. I've drag raced the car and I will get on it from time to time and it does get stuck in traffic and the transmission doesnt seem to care, consistant, smooth shifts under low throttle and under moderate and high, a good tug. I like it very much actually. I like a smooth transmission but only if I can feel it shifting; tells me it is working. Driving these cars is very different from most because of the loose converter and electronic throttle, use the converter to accelerate yet hold the same engine speed, and use cruise for the electronic throttle and let the computer handle it all. BTW ever since I packed the steering shaft with synthetic chassis grease, done before my warrenty ended, the problem has been gone.

Last edited by Count of Monte Carlo; 10-31-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:20 AM
Launching!

I didnt like the way my tranny shifted so I just put the zzp shift kit in. Its cheap but it did exactly what i wanted, now i can feel the car shift with a light pop. I just rolled over 50k and have had very few minor problems. ISS, hubs.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:21 AM
Launching!

And I do go to the track and drive her hard every now and again.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Carlo
Driving these cars is very different from most because of the loose converter and electronic throttle, use the converter to accelerate yet hold the same engine speed, and use cruise for the electronic throttle and let the computer handle it all.
Not to hijack the thread, but your comment reminded me of something I wanted to mention about the converter.

I HATE having a looose converter on a daily driver. On a 1/4 mile car, it makes sense, but I hate the sloppy feel you get from a loose converter on the street.

Has anyone thought of going with a tighter converter? Are there even any options that will bolt to our cars? There has to be some improvement in feel and MPG by going this route.

Any thoughts on that?
Old 10-31-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The only reason I can think they went with that converter was to purposly take some of the response out of the driveline and to aid in DOD engagment smoothness. But also we are running with a taller final drive so its not a bad performance move for torque multiplication and keeps the economy at cruise when locked. But I would like to also say that the percieved shift feel is a result of the converter being so loose as it absorbs the loading. In respect if you test drive our V6 counterparts you will feel the shifts more promianatly in with thier setup for which a 3500V6 comes with an awful 1200 stall I belive. I'd like ot think that maybe they put a more civil stall converter on a 3900 V6 car which, in theory, should be transferable.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mels SS
How hard do you drive your car? Are did you get one thats has troubles
Actually, not much at all, as I mainly use it to see business clients with lots of city driving. I have spent most of my tuning time on the transmission, getting the upshifts where I want them, and the downshifts where I need them. I wish there was a way to decrease the shift delay like you can on the G8 GTs (I've seen the programming in HP Tuners for those cars.)
Old 11-01-2009, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have had no real problems so far but looking back i would wait for something on the zeta platform its the mods you can get those g8s into 12s pretty easy
Old 11-01-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

The only reason I can think they went with that converter was to purposly take some of the response out of the driveline and to aid in DOD engagment smoothness. But also we are running with a taller final drive so its not a bad performance move for torque multiplication and keeps the economy at cruise when locked. But I would like to also say that the percieved shift feel is a result of the converter being so loose as it absorbs the loading. In respect if you test drive our V6 counterparts you will feel the shifts more promianatly in with thier setup for which a 3500V6 comes with an awful 1200 stall I belive. I'd like ot think that maybe they put a more civil stall converter on a 3900 V6 car which, in theory, should be transferable.
I'd be very tempted to try the 3500 converter. I'll bet there's a real reduction in trans temp by going the tighter route.

Any place I should be looking to verify fittment?
Old 11-01-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
I'd be very tempted to try the 3500 converter. I'll bet there's a real reduction in trans temp by going the tighter route.

Any place I should be looking to verify fittment?
Well all I know is that our converters are of a larger size...The 3800SC used this size as well....I cannot say for sure, but I never heard of the 3800s using a different flexplate with a larger converter. So I think it is just as simple as getting a converter from another car and installing it. I'd like to think the LS4 uses the 3 bolt flexplate mounting. I will venture to say that the pilot hole on the crank maybe bigger, which would mean th epilot on the converter would be bigger. V6 models have thier own size...with that said it might not be that easy afterall. Keep in mind our gearing is tall so a loose converter does help out in that regard...In theory...Honestly I think the LS4 wouldn't care if you had a 2:1 fdr or a 5:1... it'll smokem either way...I really think they ran with this converter to mask the DOD engagement.

Last edited by Count of Monte Carlo; 11-01-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

Well all I know is that our converters are of a larger size...The 3800SC used this size as well....I cannot say for sure, but I never heard of the 3800s using a different flexplate with a larger converter. So I think it is just as simple as getting a converter from another car and installing it. I'd like to think the LS4 uses the 3 bolt flexplate mounting. I will venture to say that the pilot hole on the crank maybe bigger, which would mean th epilot on the converter would be bigger. V6 models have thier own size...with that said it might not be that easy afterall. Keep in mind our gearing is tall so a loose converter does help out in that regard...In theory...Honestly I think the LS4 wouldn't care if you had a 2:1 fdr or a 5:1... it'll smokem either way...I really think they ran with this converter to mask the DOD engagement.
Your theory makes sense. There's absolutely no reason to equip a car of this type with so much stall unless it masks some sort of drivability issue (in this case, DoD engagement).

Now, I know we got the 258 MM converter, and I think the 3800 converters are 245 MM. Based on what you've said, the pilot hole could be the issue, and it seems that could go either way, since the LS4 has specific crankshaft that may or may not accomodate a standard V6 converter.

I've got a buddy who owns a trans shop and I think I'll be giving him a call!
Old 11-30-2009, 12:20 AM

I've put 47,xxx miles on my '07 since I bought it and this is what I have had issues with: Passenger side caliper sticking (resulting in warrantied replacement of front brakes and turning of rotors), GY F1 tires (got a new set and will be dismounting them for each rotation), oil leak (originally found at the oil pan gasket and warrantied, and yet I believe I have another now)...shift from 2nd into 1st using TAP will sometimes cause the trans to stutter...replaced 3 of 4 TPMS (around $100 each, installed)...4 headlight bulbs...that's about it.

Quick Reply: looking at ls4's