LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Thorley Header Project Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I won't be installing for a few month's yet but can we can some feedback once some of you start putting them on? I'd be awesome if somebody could post up some pics or a video. Anybody thought about putting a flex pipe on the rear dp and how that would hook up to the stock pipe or hogan dp. I hope it's some thing I can tackle, kinda worried about rusted bolts or not having a hoist.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still waiting for Thorley to contact me. I'd love to pay for these babies.... I got it all set up with my exhaust guy to get them in and to do a little fabrication. While I am at it I plan to change mufflers and tips too. Probably Hooker MaxFlows with dual tips.

-Mike

Last edited by Mgpeagle; 02-05-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

How hard would it be to install? I called a couple of local shops in Austin, and they were quoting me costs or around a $1000.00!! That plus the cost of the headers - wow. If this is something that could be installed as a weekend project I would sign up. I've got some extra money burning a hole in my jeans, but I don't think the wife would understand an extra grand.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Teching In

I spoke with some1 today at Thorley's to verify that they had my info. After they confirmed that they did, the guy let me know that they have enough people to lower the price to $599!! Just thought I'd put it out there. And PLEASE don't get cold feet and back out of this!
Old 02-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Donk's SS
How hard would it be to install? I called a couple of local shops in Austin, and they were quoting me costs or around a $1000.00!! That plus the cost of the headers - wow. If this is something that could be installed as a weekend project I would sign up. I've got some extra money burning a hole in my jeans, but I don't think the wife would understand an extra grand.
i think i remember reading that itll take about 4 hours if you have an engine lift but dont quote me on that one
Old 02-05-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

4 hrs at 50 would be 200 ish. I suppose you could do it with jackstands lol.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by findlayss
i think i remember reading that itll take about 4 hours if you have an engine lift but dont quote me on that one
I was under the impression it was a lift, as in 2 post. I could be wrong, the poster left it up to speculation.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
How do you like your shift kit?
Much better then stock but not aggessive enough. Sometimes, I get a really cool snap when upshifting at part throttle especially when in tap shift mode. The down shifts are 10x improved and almost trans breaking (not really). Feels like I'm pulling much harder in each gear and the revs climb much faster; but even with tuning I still can't chirp 1-2 or 2-3. I just kit 40K so I figured I would install a shift kit while I was changing the fluid and filter. It was a very easy install and I am satisfied. Dave at TEP said that the stock clutch packs have way to much clearence so shift kits don't really help too much without other mods done inside the trans. Guess I will try to break it so I can have him build me a new one! I want my headers!
Old 02-05-2010, 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

I would imagine that the rear header would have to be installed from the bottom of the car and the front header from the top. Dam.. I think the frame and the steering rack might be in the way. If that is the case then we might have to use a floor jack or a hoist to move the engine foward to make some room to install from the top. The only thing that worries me is having to do some welding my exhaust is all custom so I would have to have it rewelded any way.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
I would imagine that the rear header would have to be installed from the bottom of the car and the front header from the top. Dam.. I think the frame and the steering rack might be in the way. If that is the case then we might have to use a floor jack or a hoist to move the engine foward to make some room to install from the top. The only thing that worries me is having to do some welding my exhaust is all custom so I would have to have it rewelded any way.
Shouldn't be but maybe 40 dollars extra at most to get your old DP cut and welded onto that collector. I just wish it was flanged...oh well.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if there gonna be 50 state legal....
Old 02-07-2010, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Who cares lol. I think they had a carb submitted thing on the site though.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

CARB certification is pricey. If they don't move the cat-con at all, they could try for it, but unless they can piggyback the LS4 headers onto another CARB cert, they won't do it. Too expensive to amortize for such a small run. As far as the piggyback option, I would think the design of the manifolds would make it difficult to compare it to another as it is quite different with a common collector and downpipe. Unless they show you a certificate, they are not emission legal per CARB.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
I want my headers!
Me two
Old 02-07-2010, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by neilownz
Who cares lol. I think they had a carb submitted thing on the site though.
Originally Posted by 06 SS
CARB certification is pricey. If they don't move the cat-con at all, they could try for it, but unless they can piggyback the LS4 headers onto another CARB cert, they won't do it. Too expensive to amortize for such a small run. As far as the piggyback option, I would think the design of the manifolds would make it difficult to compare it to another as it is quite different with a common collector and downpipe. Unless they show you a certificate, they are not emission legal per CARB.

That the thing about living in cali,to many smog rules...At least I have another 2 to 3 yrs b4 smog...The only thing that is carb cert on the imp is the the spacer,and that belongs to envoys...F it then,I should run no cat either,right....
Old 02-07-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Man do I love living in a state where if I wanted to put a big block chevy into a 91 Camaro without a hood and drive around I could, no questions asked...oh wait i've already done that....
Old 02-07-2010, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah but gotta love the Cali weather,except these past two or weeks(sunny,rain)...
Old 02-07-2010, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT
Yeah but gotta love the Cali weather,except these past two or weeks(sunny,rain)...
Yeah, I'd love the earthquakes, and mudslides, and wildfires....
Old 02-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT
That the thing about living in cali,to many smog rules...At least I have another 2 to 3 yrs b4 smog...The only thing that is carb cert on the imp is the the spacer,and that belongs to envoys...F it then,I should run no cat either,right....
You guys need to find smog shops with "less than thorough" visual checks. If the car blows clean, so what?

One thing I plan on doing is seeing if the stock front heat shield can be used to cover the front header in some way; I did this on my Buick to keep the OEM look as much as possible when I replaced the stock driver side exhaust manifold with an aftermarket piece on that car.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What is this smog check/emissions certification of which you speak?

Quick Reply: Thorley Header Project Update