LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Which ls4 to get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dewd87
GXP also has the fender vents and engine tuned dash. Totally nostalgic for the 2nd gen T/A fans like me!
I agree on the vents, same as my father in-laws 77 trans am.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:49 AM
Staging Lane

I was down to my GXP and a new 2008 LaX Super. I actually liked the Super better, but at an eight to nine thousand dollar difference I chose the GXP.

The Super does have a 4/50 B-B warranty instead of 3/36, so if you find a lightly used one you will have more warranty left.

I like the GXP taut suspension, it corners flat and tho I haven't driven the SSs, C&D says the suspension is not as tight.

I think I'd have been happy with either the GXP or the Super.
Impala appearance just does not appeal to me, though I owned a 2004.
MC is out, I want four doors and I'm not crazy about its looks too.

Much just boils down to personal tastes regarding looks, suspension setup, and cockpit arrangements. I like the red gauges.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:43 AM
Banned

Did the SSes get the HUD?
Old 12-25-2009, 07:19 AM
Staging Lane

no HUD for the SS's. as mentioned, the GXP is by far the most sporty of the bunch. though when it comes down to actual performance, I don't think the differences were that great. I believe the C&D review, the GXP only had .01 better lateral G's or something, which is surprising considering the better suspension equipment. like someone said, it's down to personal taste as far as looks goes
Old 12-25-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

go for the monte. isnt it the lightest one?
Old 12-25-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

The Monte screams the loudest.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Banned

According to Edmunds:
MCSS - 3549 lbs.
ISS - 3790 lbs
LCS - 3770 lbs
GXP - 3600 lbs.

So the Monte is only ~50 lbs lighter than the GXP, but the GXP still has 2 extra doors. And fold flat seats, dunno about the Super and SSes.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by keviiinn
no HUD for the SS's. as mentioned, the GXP is by far the most sporty of the bunch. though when it comes down to actual performance, I don't think the differences were that great. I believe the C&D review, the GXP only had .01 better lateral G's or something, which is surprising considering the better suspension equipment. like someone said, it's down to personal taste as far as looks goes
Pretty much personal taste. CD said the Chevy suspension is somewhat sloppy compared to the GXP, as in "whole new category for keeling over!" or something like that.

GP has a greater front weight bias, again according to the CD test data. About 64% vs. 61.5% IIRC.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

so the monte is the lightest and should be the fastest?, but if i wanted to whip a front wheel drive v8 around corners i shouldnt pick it?
Old 12-25-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
so the monte is the lightest and should be the fastest?, but if i wanted to whip a front wheel drive v8 around corners i shouldnt pick it?
That's what they say.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:02 AM
Banned

Would a 50 lb split REALLY make that big of a difference? I like the Montes, but having the extra doors and the option to carry around more people is nice, and having more space made moving a little quicker.

Best thing I can tell you is go drive each and see which best suits you.

Cockpit shots:

LCS

ISS

MCSS

GXP

And just for fun, G8.

Last edited by JP_GXP; 12-26-2009 at 12:14 AM.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

The GXP interior is all about the driver & was my choice after comparing them all although I do like the MCSS interior. The ISS & LCS dash reminds me of something my Grandfather would drive & I'm almost 50.

If I didn't need 4 doors I may of bought a MCSS then upgraded it with the GXP performance parts. I've owned 5 MC: 1971 SS454, 1971 350, 1972 454 4 speed manual, 1974 454, & 1987 SS.

Go out & drive them all & you'll see that the GXP is the best driver but personal taste will be your ultimate decision maker.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JP_GXP
According to Edmunds:
MCSS - 3549 lbs.
ISS - 3790 lbs
LCS - 3770 lbs
GXP - 3600 lbs.

So the Monte is only ~50 lbs lighter than the GXP, but the GXP still has 2 extra doors. And fold flat seats, dunno about the Super and SSes.

My Impala weighed in at 3880 with me in it. I weigh about 210, so that's roughly 3670.

And to add to comparison, my brothers G8GT weighed in at 4110 with him in it, and he's about 200lbs, so roughly 3910.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

As most folks are saying, this is a personal choice issue. It's easier to upgrade to Bilsteins or staggered fitment than it is to saw two back-door-holes in your car and weld some hinges in.

I thought the Super dash sucked too, from photos. I thought, WTF?

In person it's very different.
The Super is one very classy ride, the dash is pretty similar in layout to the GP with some parts moved around a bit. I found it user-friendly, everything is in reach and the controls are clear.

I don't like the Chevy dash because they put some controls way down there at the tunnel. IMO that's just stupid.

GM has irritated me for a long time in their relatively poor space utilization compared to their competition such as Accords etc.
My Spectra has far better space utilization than my GP.
My GP is a much finer driver though. It has no (useable) glove box, the door storage is pitiful, the cupholder on the back floor is just sad and a perfect example of GM's cluelessness, but overall it's a great ride.

I wouldn't give you a nickel for the nav, it's the most user-unfriendly bitch of electronic junk I've come across in a long time. Perhaps forever.
IMO you're much better off buying a Garmin for 200 bucks.

Whichever, enjoy your purchase!

Last edited by Neanderthal; 12-26-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

I have personally had an impala SS and now a Grand Prix GXP.
My Impala SS had no issues for 25k before it was traded.
My GXP is now at around 43K with no issues
I am still under warranty but with my mods I believe I voided (o well)

All I have to say is the SS is classy and I see them everyday.

The GXP is a bit more geared toward a muscle car lover.
Onboard computer with G-forces, decel, and lat accel.
Gauges angled toward driver, tap shift, HUD, drilled rotors, painted calipers,
wider front track, sport suspension.

also too the suede isn't as cold as the impala leather in the winter my girlfriend says.
-Jason

Last edited by jlwcca; 12-29-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

I think I like the LaCrosse Super the most for it's class and rarity. I love the seats in the GXP but the rest of the interior just seemed a bit less refined which falls into it being the sportiest of all. I think the Monte SS's exterior is definately the best looking. The only reason I got the Impala is I needed 4-doors and a cavernous trunk. I also work at a Chevy dealer so in late 07' (with the Montes no longer being around anyways) I decided on my Impala. I think the interior is pretty nice and more towards the luxury side. I definately hate the lack of bolsters in the seats but I didn't buy the car to go canyon carving. Lets face it, the W-body platform was never designed to have great handling characteristics. Sure, my Impala flops like a fish in the corners but, I can haul *** and alot of stuff all while going un-noticed from Johnny Law.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Banned

My car is flat black(-ish) and with my cutout open, they still don't bother me. Gotten a few thumbs up, though, got flagged down at a traffic light, too, he asked what my plate meant, lol.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by keviiinn
Having read some of the comments by some of the folks that actually worked on the GP GXP project, the staggered tires, upgraded suspension, and upgraded brakes really come into their own on a track. You would not see much improvement on a skidpad or much on an autocross course. The staggered fitment was really susposed to give the car a little more of a neutral feel than the typical FWD terminal understeer. Their (GM) testing against the Impala SS showed a couple of seconds difference on the track. I remember one of the guys complaining to the GXP owners that we really were not going to be able to appreciate the differences unless we took the cars to a track day. Drag racing and autocross were not going to show us much.

Chip
Old 01-13-2010, 03:08 AM
Launching!

this was a good topic enjoyed it since I'm leaning towards the impala ss. It seems to be the cheapest of the bunch.

Quick Reply: Which ls4 to get?