LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Would you buy a gxp with 100,000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom and dad had a 72' Monte that I drove when I turned 16. He ordered it new in 72' and I turned 16 in 78' I WILL own one again someday, because that car brings back a lot of memories. (first piece of p***y in it)

That being said, I would buy the GXP, but not for a DD. I have 137k miles on my 97' GTP, didn't mod it until it hit 90k miles, and have driven the **** out of it since. But not as a DD. It turns 13 years old on Friday and other than mods and maintenance, I've only put a water pump and alternator on it. The GXP is a much more advanced car, and I will be keeping my 08' for a long time.

How many hours are on the 06'? I'm guessing with 100k alot of those are probably higway miles.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SidewaysV8
My mom and dad had a 72' Monte that I drove when I turned 16. He ordered it new in 72' and I turned 16 in 78' I WILL own one again someday, because that car brings back a lot of memories. (first piece of p***y in it)

That being said, I would buy the GXP, but not for a DD. I have 137k miles on my 97' GTP, didn't mod it until it hit 90k miles, and have driven the **** out of it since. But not as a DD. It turns 13 years old on Friday and other than mods and maintenance, I've only put a water pump and alternator on it. The GXP is a much more advanced car, and I will be keeping my 08' for a long time.

How many hours are on the 06'? I'm guessing with 100k alot of those are probably higway miles.
I was amazed how spacious the interior is on my old monte before I caged it.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Launching!

Well, IMO, I would definatly consider it for eh, $5,500 Cash. If they say no, then let them sell it to a sucker. If they say YAY, then you got a good whip for cheap. And i would start moddin it instantly for that price.

Also i dont know your financial position, but it could be good it could be bad. The trans may take a poop in 5k or less. I would find out how old that trans is in it. Also i would take it an inspect it myself then let another dealer or mech inspect the car.

Then, while test driving it i would put the car threw its paces, WOT, Hard Braking things like that.

Greg
Old 01-07-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
I was amazed how spacious the interior is on my old monte before I caged it.
The days before crush zones... this is totally off topic , but do you have an interior in that thing? 6 point harness? More importantly, what's your race weight and do you have any E.T.'s to share?
Old 01-07-2010, 12:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by nmp0098
The days before crush zones... this is totally off topic , but do you have an interior in that thing? 6 point harness? More importantly, what's your race weight and do you have any E.T.'s to share?
Haha nope. No interior. I laid down some Ozite which is lighter than the stock carpeting/interior.

http://www.ozite.com/cprod.cfm?item=cp1

The car is caged. There's nothing except two Sparcos and the aluminum plate dash. SS454 Montes usually weigh about 100 or so pounds more than the 70 Chevelle SS454, which is 3260. With everything stripped down, a fuel cell, and a smaller iron block motor and a smaller transmission, probably in the 2900-3000 range for race weight. I've weigh it once at a big rig station and it was around 3076 with me, another passenger, a full tank of gas, and 2 tires and some tools in the back.

No ETs, I didn't set the car up to drag race and I've never taken it to a 1/4 or 1/8 mile track. That's what the Nova was for. The Monte goes to some AutoX events but I mostly drive it on the streets. SoCal has some awesome canyons. This is my corner carver such as it is. People laugh when they see me haul through canyons because its *appears* like I'm maneuvering a land yacht, but the car actually is on rails.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dewd87
I bought mine with 130k miles 2 months ago for $6500. But it has all the receipts for work done to the car and was driven by a guy from GM and was taken care of. Only thing needed done was 2 front tires put on and an front end alignment. But the transmission was just built so that was a big deciding factor for me.
Wow, one of those used cars.

To OP I'd say, It all depends on the car.
Normally I wouldn't touch something with 100,000 on it. But a few months back I ran across a nice 2003 LeSabre that had just turned 100.

The 3.8 engine ticked over quietly, it had new quality Cooper tires, it was an original owner trade, the widow traded it in on a smaller Cadillac. The trannie seemed fine. They'd always serviced the car at that dealership.

They let me take it for a spin, I went for a 90 mile drive and the MPG meter showed 33 or so for the trip. Not shabby at all.

I almost regret not buying it for 3 grand, I just didn't have the space. And I bought the GXP a few months later, much better car for my purposes.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Theres a sweet regal gsx sleeping on the local buick lot, 33,000 miles, clean inside and out, engine is in perfect shape...Ripe for mods at $5k, kicking myself for not having the funds to even make an offer.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
Theres a sweet regal gsx sleeping on the local buick lot, 33,000 miles, clean inside and out, engine is in perfect shape...Ripe for mods at $5k, kicking myself for not having the funds to even make an offer.
If I had money I'd also have a large shop full of cars. That sounds like a nice rig.

One of my shoppers a while back was a very cherry white Regal GS about MY 2000, had about 90K and IIRC they were asking about 6.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
If I had money I'd also have a large shop full of cars. That sounds like a nice rig.

One of my shoppers a while back was a very cherry white Regal GS about MY 2000, had about 90K and IIRC they were asking about 6.
I wanted this one so bad it was clean and the price was so cheap because they couldn't move it.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a gxp with 100,000 miles?