LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Transmission dead 41k miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
What is it that's actually failing in the stock transmission? Is there a common weak link that can be replaced before the stock trans goes?
The thing that is messing up is the stock Torque Converter. It cant handle the power from the engine and thus it is ripping up the teeth inside and causing you to get that slipping feeling and hard thud into gear from a dead stop. It has nothing to do with the trans cuz these transmissions can handle what we throw at it, it's just the little parts that cant. So build up the torque converter and you should be safe for a while.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Teching In

Default Torque Converter

If that's the case then is there a company out there that makes a better torque converter for this car? I think my transmission is ******* biting the dust as we speak. The transmission was shifting ultra smooth with almost no shift feeling and then it started shifting really hard into 2nd out of first and acting all fucked up. The engine is running strong but I think this will be first warranty transmissiond repair I'll report back what the dealership ends up replacing. The damn dealership better just replace the damn thing and not hassle me.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Carlo
If you are burning all the clutches then its more likely an issue with the pump, pressure control soleniod, or just abuse. If it goes neutral, then its likely an issue with the valvebody, input clutch system, forward band system, or reverse band system. One could stress the forward and reverse servos without comming to a complete stop as all the mechanism is still energized.
Mine was "Low Gears broken, and FWD Clutch was burned, Oil pump scored" But i didnt beat it, with the exception of a race maybe every two months. Seriously. Lasted less then a year.

BTW what shift kits are you guys getting and whats the word with the Torque Converter?
Old 02-03-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Vectus
Mine was "Low Gears broken, and FWD Clutch was burned, Oil pump scored" But i didnt beat it, with the exception of a race maybe every two months. Seriously. Lasted less then a year.

BTW what shift kits are you guys getting and whats the word with the Torque Converter?
You can get a very good converter through Triple Edge Performance. And most people use either the Transgo kit or the ZZperformance one. There's one more on the market but the supplier/manufacturer escapes me.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks dude
Old 02-04-2010, 12:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Vectus
Thanks dude
Sure thing. I plan on starting to collect some transmission parts here soon...
Old 02-04-2010, 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Another One bites the dust! my transmission died today! on my way to work,went off a stop and while in the process of what should have been catching second just continued revving..til the limiter hit and i was
coasted it to the parkinglot of a factory and waited for the tow truck!
turned it bak on to warm me up a bit since its pretty cold out here and sounded like a rattle.so idk but im praying its the torque convertor or something not so bad..well see tomorrow.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
Sure thing. I plan on starting to collect some transmission parts here soon...
Yea thats basically what im doing too hah.

Originally Posted by blakss
Another One bites the dust! my transmission died today! on my way to work,went off a stop and while in the process of what should have been catching second just continued revving..til the limiter hit and i was
coasted it to the parkinglot of a factory and waited for the tow truck!
turned it bak on to warm me up a bit since its pretty cold out here and sounded like a rattle.so idk but im praying its the torque convertor or something not so bad..well see tomorrow.
Sorry to hear that, the first time it happened to me was actually on the way to the dealer, less then a block away. And had to wait for a tow truck i was more then just the drive over was literally less then 30 seconds.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol you should have pushed it. and yea this little joke of mine is gunna cost me 1800 with 6 months warrenty and if it goes out again then il do the TEP trans.would do it no but really dont have the time ,just need it back asap .this it my daily and they told me im looking at two weeks that i dont have.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It was up a steep incline, in the middle o rush hour... no one stop to help me.... and it was the oposite side of the direction I was going.... and on a big street.... lol it sucked... why aren't they covering it??
Old 02-05-2010, 12:08 AM
12 Second Club

I might be next, but so far so good. I just hit 40,000 miles and changed my filter and fluid today. I also installed a TransGo shift kit. The fluid was a very dark red and had a bunch of soft grit in the pan. Nothing to really worry about though. The owners manual says to change the fluid at 100K. B.S! Trans still shifts great and so far I've had no problems. Sometimes 4th gear takes a little long to engage and once it does it kind of pops into it. I think it might be from my 3" exhaust and other combined mods. Fingers are crossed. (I have beat the living snot out of my car since the day I bought it)
Old 02-05-2010, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like i got my moneys worth then ,mine failed at 66K! and i swapped fluids at 50K.idk where i sit now im havin a friend rebuild it .just waiting on TEP to reply trying to purchase parts and see if i can pick up locally.the arent that far and im willing to drive an hour or two just trying to get this fixed asap! im thinking imma get ...
well heres ma list tell me what you guys think.

TEP T65E “Master” Kit with Raybestos “Z –Pack” 3rd Friction Set -209.95
TEP 4T65E/4T60E Filter – 12.95
TEP Recond. Input Clutch Piston - 19.95
TEP Input to Sun Gear Bearing - 6.95
TEP 4t65e Lube Dam - 3.95
TEP OE Stator Support / Drive Sprocket Bearing - 7.95
TEP Upgraded Valve Body - 349.95
Old 02-05-2010, 09:33 AM
TECH Regular

You might want to consider the Transgo shift kit as well since you are already rebuilding. If your power goals are high, getting an Intense hardened input shaft isn't a bad idea either. You could always add it later, but getting the trans in and out isn't exactly easy.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok so took a little road trip today and went to pick up the parts from dave over at TEP drove 3 hours one way and about 4 hours back especially with all the snow coming down.was just trying to get the parts to the rebuilder asap seeing as both me and him are on tight schedule.hopefully all goes well and i can get back on the road soon. i ended up getting everything except the valve body because it wasnt available at the time but did get the pressure control solenoid and as for the shift kit i got a modified version that i had just installed in the car .weird thing was so far i have seen three diffrent ways to do this.. and im kinda lost on the instructions but hopefully the transgo shift kit way is the best route.and the input shaft i would love to do it but looks like later on if all goes well il have to upgrade it later.

Quick Reply: Transmission dead 41k miles