LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

918 springs or dual springs valvetrain questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blakss
lol nmp0098
i know i had contacted them before about the same thing and they just avoided my questions..lol so i didnt bother going on..

and about the springs..i really wanna use the Ls6 beehives but wanna get titanium retainers and valve seals and locks to do so but dont really know to much about all that so imma have to hope summit can help me out..

and about the LS6 and Z06 im not sure although i think its the LS6 or maybe both that have the sodium filled valves and maybe later on id look into getting a valve job and look into making those valves work..not now tho.

and the chromemoly pushrods from what i understand are same as stock just different material.i want to run the Oil Restricting pushrods but only found them on intense and saw that a couple people have them but looked online and the dont seem to exist well maybe im exaggerating a lil but at least i cant find where to buy them..
The salesmen at Summit are mostly annoying and they generally won't sell you anything unless their computer says they can or you just order it online. You can buy titanium retainers for LS1/6's, and then get the LS6 springs from Lingenfelter. The RPO LS6 engine comes standard in the last gen Z06's, and iirc the only other way to get an RPO LS6 engine is as a GMPP crate engine.

Chromemoly pushrods are stronger and don't flex as much as the stockers, especially when used with a camshaft that has an agressive ramp rate. This leads to a little or a lot more lift at the valve, depending on the cam.

The oil restricting pushrods are meant to keep oil out of the heads and in the oil pan, and were originally designed for circle/oval track racers. During extended WOT operation (ie extended time at max oil pressure) oil will flow into the heads faster than it can drain back down, so although a different oiling system would be optimal the oil restricting pushrods keep your bottom end fed. During normal driving you get less oil to lube up the rockers (that sounded wrong) and probably increased friction at the top of your valvetrain, but they do help keep the lifters pumped up. They may help keep the DOD lifters alive longer, but at the cost wearing on your rockers.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by monteboy954
sorry for this but can you tell me what i should ask the machine shop to do for these sodium filled valves to work and would this make a P&P job more money do you think its worth it and do you get sodium ones for intake and exhaust or is it just on one end
No need to be sorry, I can talk cars all day and all night. If I sound short at all it's because I've been working a ton of "voluntary overtime" the last two weeks. I've been posting here during my scattered lunch break and before I go to bed to wind down a bit (I can't get to sleep right after 14 hours working no matter how late it is).

You'll need a valve job done too, and it will cost more than just a port and polish (you can do a polish yourself without risking screwing things up too much, as long as you don't get into the porting part). Lightening your valvetrain has no downsides, but it's not always necessary and costs a lot of money. It doesn't help power directly (at least that you'll be able to notice), but it will let you spin the engine faster and if you have the cam or forced induction to back up the revs then it's worth it. Of course, you can always just give up the tiny bit of fuel economy and run bigger springs, but then you need stronger lifters (and for DOD lifters, there is no such thing at the moment) and so on. In general, mass is the enemy of performance (unless it comes in the form of a turbo, or a 10lbs bottle of N2O).
Old 01-15-2010, 01:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nmp0098
The salesmen at Summit are mostly annoying and they generally won't sell you anything unless their computer says they can or you just order it online. You can buy titanium retainers for LS1/6's, and then get the LS6 springs from Lingenfelter. The RPO LS6 engine comes standard in the last gen Z06's, and iirc the only other way to get an RPO LS6 engine is as a GMPP crate engine.

Chromemoly pushrods are stronger and don't flex as much as the stockers, especially when used with a camshaft that has an agressive ramp rate. This leads to a little or a lot more lift at the valve, depending on the cam.

The oil restricting pushrods are meant to keep oil out of the heads and in the oil pan, and were originally designed for circle/oval track racers. During extended WOT operation (ie extended time at max oil pressure) oil will flow into the heads faster than it can drain back down, so although a different oiling system would be optimal the oil restricting pushrods keep your bottom end fed. During normal driving you get less oil to lube up the rockers (that sounded wrong) and probably increased friction at the top of your valvetrain, but they do help keep the lifters pumped up. They may help keep the DOD lifters alive longer, but at the cost wearing on your rockers.

thanks for the help bigtime. i noticed alot of companys have real shitty customer service so if i email them and dont get a reply or get stupid answers usually dont waste my time .. lol
but eitherway im gunna look on summit or look around i know iv seen a couple websites with them and as far as everything i would need..(i believe car comes stock with LS1 beehive springs) so i should be able to reuse the seats..just need to buy titanium retainers,valve seals ,and locks right?
what do you guys think is a better choice going with the LS6 spring or sticking with the gold series springs? i realize id be keeping the friction down and maybe a little weight but wouldnt i be sacrificing the lift a small part? also how long can you go before having to change them out? i heard they gotta be replaced every like 15,000 miles is this true?

and as far as the valves go. idk i honestly wouldnt think it would make that big of a difference but thats just me. maybe with the P/P and valve job with the sodium filled valves thats a different story but how much would it cost.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

did some research and got it down to either the LS6 or the PAC 1518
Old 01-17-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's still alot of debate on wheather the oil restricting pushrods will starve the springs of oil during normal street driving. Some say the LSX oiling system is so go that it pumps too much oil to the top during both normal and spirited driving; therefore, these motors may benefit from this type of up-grade. Never-the-less, here's the part number for a 7.400" oil restricting pushrod from Comp Cams off of the Jeg's web site (249-8307). I decided to use them because I'm running a Melling HV oil pump.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Default Stock 5.3 rockers and duel valve springs good or bad

Need info tryin to run duel valve spring with factory 706 rockers

Quick Reply: 918 springs or dual springs valvetrain questions