LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Thinking of buying a LS4

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a LS4

Like the title says im looking at LS4s on the market and im finding some good deals for under 13k. But unlike my Camaro i would like to study my product before i buy it. Dont get me wrong i love my camaro but if i could do it over i'd get a GTO b/c of the boot and the interior quality. Please tell anything good or bad about your cars that you think it would be helpful. I did do some searching and it seems like the crowd is pretty evenly split between liking their cars and not liking them.

I like the LS4s b/c of the V8 power, and the fwd for the snow b/c my camaro right now is a nightmare. On the other hand i hear transmission issues on these cars and the shifting is something that i've seen complaints about on the forums too. Like i said im very much so a stranger to these cars and would like to know what im buying before i do buy it so anything would be greatly appretiate it, thanks!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

Trans is weak is the big complaint.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

make sure you look the car over front to back and top to bottom...have a little fun on the test drive to see how the trans acts. do you know if you are looking at the GXP, MCSS, ISS, or the super?
Old 01-12-2010, 10:28 PM
Banned

Like everyone else says the tranny is relatively weak, but most of us have had no problems with it. Others have been through one or two of them.

When I was in the market I was deciding between the GXP, a Charger Daytona, a Mazdaspeed 3, a Mazdaspeed 6, a GTO, and a couple of others. And, with all honesty, if I had found a MS3 or GTO, that's the direction I'd have went in. But now that I'm in the GXP, I love it. The looks on people's faces when they realize it's a Grand Prix with a V8 are priceless.

The aftermarket is slowly starting to grow, but still expensive.

What else are you considering?
Old 01-12-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JP_GXP
Like everyone else says the tranny is relatively weak, but most of us have had no problems with it. Others have been through one or two of them.

When I was in the market I was deciding between the GXP, a Charger Daytona, a Mazdaspeed 3, a Mazdaspeed 6, a GTO, and a couple of others. And, with all honesty, if I had found a MS3 or GTO, that's the direction I'd have went in. But now that I'm in the GXP, I love it. The looks on people's faces when they realize it's a Grand Prix with a V8 are priceless.

The aftermarket is slowly starting to grow, but still expensive.

What else are you considering?
were the looks better before or after you went flat black?
Old 01-12-2010, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DP 08 GXP
Old 01-12-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now, I don't drive my car in the winter. If I would have known that I was going to get a 4wd truck, I would have looked a little harder for performance. But it's still possible to have good performance in not ideal weather conditions with the fwd. Not sure about the awd performance vehicles out there. The Trailblazer SS awd looks nice.

Maybe look at getting a winter set of rims/tires instead of a second vehicle...
Old 01-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Banned

Pretty much the same. It just draws more attention now.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JP_GXP

Pretty much the same. It just draws more attention now.
Not to start that thread over, but in my opinion the car looked awesome.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

i like it also...just like givin JP a lil **** now and again lol
Old 01-12-2010, 11:26 PM
Banned

i like it also...just like givin JP a lil **** now and again lol

sorry for the

Old 01-13-2010, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hopefully that flat black gxp was just photoshop.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice runs, thats the very first srt4 that ive seen that i didnt hear a blow off valve every two seconds lol, or gunfire form there weird exhaust systems
Old 01-13-2010, 12:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by itsslow98
nice runs, thats the very first srt4 that ive seen that i didnt hear a blow off valve every two seconds lol, or gunfire form there weird exhaust systems
Wrong thread. lmao
Old 01-13-2010, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
Wrong thread. lmao
hahahaha.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by neilownz
Hopefully that flat black gxp was just photoshop.
Yep

Old 01-13-2010, 01:58 AM
Launching!

An awd Trailblazer SS would be sweet to own but alittle too expensive for my budget. And its all talks right now, im not selling anything yet, just learning about the car. My dad's fwd buick does fine in the winter so i would imagine the LS4 would do fine too. And im looking at the GXP specifically b/c the looks of it just appeals to me more and i like the interior alittle more too.

Btw i was browsing autotrader and looking at the interior pics of the GXP realizing it has the TAPshift and on both sides of the steering wheel saying "+" signs. Shouldn't one say "-" for downshifting and "+" for shifting up? that confused me alittle. And what exactly is that **** next to the TractionControl?

I would be using the GXP as a DD and personally like the look of the car and V8 that can give you the fun at the same time too. But at the same time i dont wanna be buying a car that has to be in the shop every other weekend b/c GM couldn't make a transmission. I love the GTO as well but i want the LS2 version which that is alittle bit out of my price range too and also it is not a good winter car. My next car needs to have a bit of winter capability and a decent amount of GO, fortunately the LS4s have that but unfortunately this transmission thing is got me alittle worried now.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:41 AM
Launching!

got me curious to I personally am leaning toward the impala SS but was wondering how they are. I also need a daily driver and since I go about 100 miles a day on my work trip 95% hwy the DOD would be nice. Now Im leasing a 09 impreza and gets about 25-27mpg on the hwy about 80mph. Is that to high of a speed for the DOD awd is nice but the car is lame and i need some power and style.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:49 AM
TECH Regular

D3VIL, I had the exact same questions before I bought my GXP. Basically the TAPshift controls do the exact same thing on either side, push to up-shift and pull to downshift, I guess it's basically to make the driver comfortable whether your right or left-handed. The **** by the traction control is for the HUD, twist the **** to control brightness/dimness, and center controls handle the positioning of the display on the windshield along with all of the other HUD settings.

I love this car more each time I drive it, however I would have loved to have found a nice G8GT or awd TBSS, but both were out of my price range. I dont regret choosing the GXP, it's a great compromise for a muscle car enthusiast. It has a sporty coupe-like appearance yet still has all the convenience with the 4 doors, power is nice as well as the handling, and the fwd comes in handy with all this snow we've been getting here lately. Best of luck in your search!

Joe.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
Wrong thread. lmao
wow i wonder how that happened, i certianly didnt do that lol