LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

GXP is out of storage, a few problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GXP is out of storage, a few problems

I got the GXP out of storage on Friday and I was greeted with a few issues. First, the battery was dead. No recharging it possible. The storage company obviously did not start it once a month like they promised... so anyways $150 for a battery

There was also a faint buzzing noise coming from the dash area. I took it to the dealer and they said it was an aspirator? I don't know what that is but they said it is a temperature sensor of some kind. IDK, I had never heard of it. anyways, that is on order.

When I drove the car Friday night, I thought it felt weak but couldn't be sure since I hadn't driven it in a year. When I stored it I put it away with a full tank of premium and treated it with fuel stabilizer. It turns out that fuel stabilizer must just work enough to keep the car running... I filled it up this morning and dropped in octane booster and fuel injector cleaner and SHE IS BACK! She is breaking the tires loose and pulling hard like I remember. So, I guess the lesson is, Fuel stabilizer doesn't exactly preserve fuel.

Finally I got a new set of tires put on it. I bought four Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position tires. I went with all seasons since I am moving back to upstate new york soon. They feel good right now but I haven't "tested" them just yet. I will update in this thread. Price was great, for the factory sizes, all four came to $932 installed, before a $75 cash rebate.
RE960AS

I promised you guys some videos / pics and I haven't forgotten! I am moving into my new apartment today so I will get to some media this week.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

ya i have a feeling after the winter storage my gas broke down a little too. I used the gas treatment also. After driving the car for a week its coming back around. I disconnected my battery when i stored it. Only stated the car twice during the 6 months.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

A battery maintainer was the best 12$ I ever spent. I use it whenever I leave something sitting for more then a week. I always used stay-fuel over the winter and never had any issues. I use it with the lawnmower,sled,etc and never had any issues.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Welcome home man! ::
Old 04-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

Congratulations on getting GXP out of the woodshed.

Sta-bil fuel preservative has worked well for me, gas a year or more old still fires up like...gasoline.

My experience these days is most folks don't even listen, much less do what they say they'll do.

I have that funny little noise somewhere in the dash after I turn it off, I figured it was some sort of magical device which will enentually break down and require 300 bucks to fix it.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by texasGXP08
I got the GXP out of storage on Friday and I was greeted with a few issues. First, the battery was dead. No recharging it possible. The storage company obviously did not start it once a month like they promised... so anyways $150 for a battery

There was also a faint buzzing noise coming from the dash area. I took it to the dealer and they said it was an aspirator? I don't know what that is but they said it is a temperature sensor of some kind. IDK, I had never heard of it. anyways, that is on order.

When I drove the car Friday night, I thought it felt weak but couldn't be sure since I hadn't driven it in a year. When I stored it I put it away with a full tank of premium and treated it with fuel stabilizer. It turns out that fuel stabilizer must just work enough to keep the car running... I filled it up this morning and dropped in octane booster and fuel injector cleaner and SHE IS BACK! She is breaking the tires loose and pulling hard like I remember. So, I guess the lesson is, Fuel stabilizer doesn't exactly preserve fuel.

Finally I got a new set of tires put on it. I bought four Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position tires. I went with all seasons since I am moving back to upstate new york soon. They feel good right now but I haven't "tested" them just yet. I will update in this thread. Price was great, for the factory sizes, all four came to $932 installed, before a $75 cash rebate.
RE960AS

I promised you guys some videos / pics and I haven't forgotten! I am moving into my new apartment today so I will get to some media this week.
Why did you put it up for the winter when you live in South Texas?
Old 04-11-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mels SS
I think he was deployed.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mels SS
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...back-hell.html

Welcome home!
Old 04-11-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, welcome home. I am sure you are happy to be back.

-Mike
Old 04-11-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
I think he was deployed.
Welcome Home sorry for my confusion.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
My experience these days is most folks don't even listen, much less do what they say they'll do.
Tell me about it. I won't fail you though Neanderthal.

Originally Posted by ohyeahjay
A battery maintainer was the best 12$ I ever spent. I use it whenever I leave something sitting for more then a week. I always used stay-fuel over the winter and never had any issues. I use it with the lawnmower,sled,etc and never had any issues.
I would have used a battery maintainer or disconnected it but the company that the army contracted to store our cars said they would handle it...

I also think the fuel stablilizer may have been fine for a winter (6 months) but for keeping it for 12 months straight, it just didn't do the job.

And thank you for the welcome back. I am excited to get the car back to the craft shop this week and do some serious cleaning. I will take pics and videos of my exhaust before I go to flowmasters. (Someone asked a couple months ago how the cherry bomb turbo IIs sounded on it, can't remember who or what thread...)
Old 11-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by texasGXP08
Did this resolve your issue? I just bought a used '08 GXP and it also has this buzzing sound coming from the dash. I was looking at this part for replacement based on your comments: AC DELCO AMBIENT TEMPERATURE SENSOR (AC1550101).

It is not the speaker(s) and it buzzes with the key in the run position (engine on/off does not matter). The buzzing will vary, sometimes it is nearly inaudible and other times it is much louder. It definitely seems tied to the electric system as the pitch will change slightly when I turn the foglights or bright lights on/off.

Does anybody know how dificult it is to replace this component?
Old 11-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Teching In

I have an 08 GXP with the same buzzing sound. It just started happening.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is easy to replace. One is under the knee bolster and there is supposedly one in the headliner. The headliner one is what the dealer replaced for me a couple years ago (according to the receipt). They just unplug. That did resolve my issue but the noise is back again. I guess cold weather really does a number on these sensors.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the feedback! I'll try taking the knee bolster off to have a look.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's right in line with the ignition. Drop the knee bolster carefully b/c you will have to slide the sensor out of it's "port," for lack of a better word.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I saw this thread and was thinking you got deployed again!
Old 11-23-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CenTexSS
I saw this thread and was thinking you got deployed again!
Thankfully, no. 2 1/2 years in Iraq was enough. I am enjoying civilian life now.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Glad your home for good
Old 11-24-2011, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

The part about it being right in line with the ignition...could be coupling noise. I have the same buzz and its kind of a wavering sound that changes with load. I wonder how it is grounded.