LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

A/C Fix vid

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mels SS
Is it just Impalas that this happens to?

Seems like it, i've never heard of anyone else complaining about it.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:31 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

happened to me recently, most annoying sound ever, thanks for the vid
Old 03-21-2011, 06:27 PM

No it also happened twice to my Monte Carlo. I know this tread is a little old but this video helped me out. I was able to order the part for about 30$ and fixed the 1st one on the passenger side. The 3rd and final one in the video is the one I am currently trying to fix. I am having a hard time getting to it. Right now I have most of my dash off and still my arm is too big to get back there.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Which one? The one on the right on the pass side? Or the one on the drivers side?
Old 03-21-2011, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by ImpSS07
Which one? The one on the right on the pass side? Or the one on the drivers side?
The one on the passenger side on the far right side. It's very hard to get to and taking apart the dash did not help much. I was able to remove the broken one to discover that this one is a different part number then the other one I replaced. The number on the label of it says 52411997-01005204C1

I tried putting the same item# part from the video on but the direction of the while square piece that moves the vent starts and moves on a different angle. I found on rackauto.com they have 2 different parts that looks the same and the other it says controls the a/c blend door. I think that is what I need so I will order that part.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:29 PM

Just ordered this one...

Part Number Part Type Price EA Core EA Quantity Total
2006 CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO LS 3.5L 3490cc 213cid V6 FI (N) OHV
DORMAN 604108 (604-108) Heater Blend Door Actuator $ 23.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 23.79
Shipping Priority Mail $ 5.61
Order Total $ 29.40
Old 03-22-2011, 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

Hmmm, thanks for the info on that different part number!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by ImpSS07
Hmmm, thanks for the info on that different part number!
No problem, maybe it is different in the Impala but everything else seems to match the Monte Carlo so I would think this would also. I will update in a few days after I get the part and install it.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

ImpSS07 - I noticed in your video that you had the A/C on (set using inside air-max, not outside air) blowing through the front vents, then you turned it off by turning the fan off but when you turned the fan back on, it switched back to max inside air. When I switch mine off using the fan, I have to push the inside air button to get it switched back on, thats weird. Mine will not switch back automatic.

Another thing I found out was that when I switch mine to the first position that blows on you feet, my compressor comes on, I don't think it should until it reaches the first defroster position. Does your compressor come on when turned to the first foot vent position?

Thanks
Old 03-24-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by impala06ss
ImpSS07 - I noticed in your video that you had the A/C on (set using inside air-max, not outside air) blowing through the front vents, then you turned it off by turning the fan off but when you turned the fan back on, it switched back to max inside air. When I switch mine off using the fan, I have to push the inside air button to get it switched back on, thats weird. Mine will not switch back automatic.

Another thing I found out was that when I switch mine to the first position that blows on you feet, my compressor comes on, I don't think it should until it reaches the first defroster position. Does your compressor come on when turned to the first foot vent position?

Thanks
I made that video when it was like 90*-95* outside and my A/C comes on automatically when its that hot, didn't know that wasn't "normal" or what everyone elses did.

I want to say YES that my compressor comes on when I move the position, but Im not 100%. I'll have to mess with it next time I'm in the car. Lately when i do drive the A/C is off and the windows are down!!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Regular

It happened to my Monte about a month after I purchased the car. The dealership worked with my after I went irate on the sales manager, finance manager, and owner of the dealership. They wanted $600 bucks to fix it and I just purchased the car. Still had the original 30 day warranty on it (it started to happen about 35 days after). They ended up meeting me half way and I knew then that that was as far as I was going to get them.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

Last time I was at a dealership, they told me they charged $100 an hour on labor, this has been within the last month. The part is less than 50 bucks. This means they charged 2-1/2 hours labor. That was your discount, had you been charged $600, that would have worked out to 5-1/2 hours labor. If it takes them that long to change that actuator then they need to find some new mechanics. If it doesn't take that long, then they are not charging you the hourly rate, they are just bending you over. This is a prime example of why I never take my car to the dealer. Rip-off city.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

They charge $600 for the drivers side because I think they pull the entire dash out, not just pieces like I did in my video. Plus its usually a MINIMUM of an hour just for a "diagnostic" even if you tell them what the problem is and where its at!
Old 03-27-2011, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by ToAsTyWoAsTy
Just ordered this one...

Part Number Part Type Price EA Core EA Quantity Total
2006 CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO LS 3.5L 3490cc 213cid V6 FI (N) OHV
DORMAN 604108 (604-108) Heater Blend Door Actuator $ 23.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 23.79
Shipping Priority Mail $ 5.61
Order Total $ 29.40
I got the part in the mail the other day and installed it today. Works great and no more clicking noise

It seems that the only difference in the part is the angle that is turns on. It was really hard getting to the screws to take the part out and taking apart the dash did not help. The way I did it was taking out the glove box, the bottom piece where the light bulb is under the glove box, and the small piece to the right of the glove box at the end of the dash which is hidden when the door is closed. Total repair time way about an hour.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Teching In

I haven't been to this site in a while but I am glad I returned to it. My 2007 Monte SS started doing the same clicking noise about 3 months ago. I had it checked out by Midas who told me it was a 10HR job (at $100HR) to replace the passenger side climate control actuator!!! That seemed fishy so I called up a Chevy dealer buddy of mine (just is only 1000 miles away from me tho) and he told me it was a 2hr job per the book.

Regardless, I decided to live with the clicking as it stops shortly after I start the car and since I live in Phoenix I don't need the heater (the passenger side will not blow warm air) and decided to live with it. Now the clicking is constant, and my first reaction was just to disable the actuator but now I see no reason not to replace it myself now. Thanks for posting the advice guys!
Old 04-01-2011, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

10hr's is INSANE!!! Hope my vid is/was helpful.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Default Which Brand is better

Pretty sure I have 2 of the 4 bad but i am going to order 4 of em just in case I have more or eventually need a spare. Anyone have a recommendation as to which is better....AC Delco or Dorman?? I can get the AC Delco for $21.79 each or Dorman for $22.79 each, from Rockauto.com.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

They're probably the same. Only way to really tell is to buy one of each and open them up, but they probably just have the same cheap plastic cog wheels.

Quick Reply: A/C Fix vid