LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Need a favor from a LS4 owner. Quick measurement under car.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a favor from a LS4 owner. Quick measurement under car.

Hello,

Sorry for asking for a favor in my first post on this forum, but I'm looking at using a LS4 in a tube frame/kit car application. What I would like to know is how much shorter the motor is vs a conventional longitudinal LSx. I know the crankshaft is 13mm shorter, but what I'm more concerned about is how much shorter the accessory drive is with the remotely located water pump.

What I would like someone to do is measure underneath the car, from the bellhousing mounting surface to the farthest point of the accessory drive, which from looking at the pictures would be the crankshaft pulley bolt. I have a LS7 to reference, I'm just trying to get the most clearance at the bulkhead possible, while keeping the motor as far forward as possible. Easiest way to measure would probably be a plumb bob and a piece of chalk.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Bump for info.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:20 PM

hope this helps. you cant take any measurements through the bottom since the subframe is in the way but i did manage to pull a tape from the top most pulley and then used a piece of flat alum on the end of the block where the trans is bolted...i measured 22.5" i cant seem to get the pics to load but ill try and link them up tomorow morning when i get off work.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:45 AM

If those dont work heres the link to my Photobucket: http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg204/legendpilot/
Old 05-18-2010, 08:41 PM

Thanks legend_racer, I really appreciate the info.

Now I just need to order the engines and see if they fit with the transaxle. It's going to be tight, but I think the engine will fit. Here's hoping.