LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Engine knock

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IAGXP
I got the car back on Thursday. The dealership found a used motor with 19k miles for 1400.00. In addition to that I had the trans rebuilt, new tie rod ends on both sides, and a new battery installed. So far it's running awesome and seems to pull harder in every gear. I didn't realize how bad the old trans was until driving it with this rebuilt one. The tech said there was a bunch of metal shavings in the oil when they drained it and they think it was a rod bearing but never dropped the pan to investigate since it was obvious the motor was done. I got the old motor back and plan on dropping the pan and taking a look. My next question is what should I do with the old motor, part it out, sell it to the junk yard, or keep it for parts? I plan on keeping this car for a LONG time now.
Glad to hear the car is "better". I would suggest checking with TEP on an aftermarket torque converter, since that's what will eventually take out your tranny. Even though mine was rebuilt, too, and has a new converter, I won't be comfortable with it until the stock one has been replaced.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get a Precision Re-Man. TC from TEP for 175.00 with either a 50 or 75 dollar core charge. They are great stock replacements and are much less expensive. I will have one of those in my new rebuild.

-Mike
Old 06-06-2010, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mgpeagle
You can get a Precision Re-Man. TC from TEP for 175.00 with either a 50 or 75 dollar core charge. They are great stock replacements and are much less expensive. I will have one of those in my new rebuild.

-Mike
That's what I was thinking about getting, Mike. Problem is, my mechanic said it would cost about $600 to R&R, even if I supply the converter. Anyway, I'm still under the Powertrain warranty until November, so I'll probably wait until then to do anything.

BTW- On the Precision Re-Man, can you get a lower stall than stock? i'd love to get rid of some of the slop, even if it costs a little off-the-line performance.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:54 AM
12 Second Club

H.V oil pump and if you were just a little low on oil then you could easily stuck that pan dry dry. Especially during hard corning.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by IAGXP
I'm having a used engine with 3,000 miles put in and having the trans rebuilt. Guess I need to look for another car to autox since I can't break my daily driver again.
Find a Miata for autoX. I have a friend in a stock 99 Miata, with sticky tires, and always finished in the top 25% of the entire field. He even placed top 5 a couple times.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:14 PM
12 Second Club

I vote, save your old motor and and find out what happend. Take pics for us too!
Old 06-06-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
Welcome to the world of LS based motors...lmao

I have a oil leak coming from somewhere. Just enough to smudge up the oil pan. Someone pointed it out the other day and my response was, "So? It's a Small Block Chevy...it's what it does."
I have a similar leak on the end of the engine also...I would need to remove the rear exhaust mainifold to confirm it is not the crank position sensor or a main cap cross bolt.

Last edited by Count of Monte Carlo; 06-06-2010 at 05:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine knock