LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

AXLE SHMAXLE!!! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AXLE SHMAXLE!!! (long)

I forgot when I did this...I think 20K ago I replaced the passenger side axle because the boot was leaking, GM fixed this once before, and it did not hold....So being out of warrenty I was forced to buy a NEW axle, went to Advance Auto and picked one up for $70 with a lifetime warrenty. I wanted to replace the boot but GM wanted I think over $100 not including the clamp which was also an insane amount... Suffice it to say that the red china axle is holding up....Fast forward to today, I am noticing a clunk on the drivers side from forward to reverse. In between these points of time I have replaced both front wheel hub/ bearings. Ever since then I have had to cinch up the left front bearing like every month. Well now I couldn't cinch it up anymore even if I cranked it to 300lbs, to forget about how annyoing it is for the axle nut to keep loosening up. So I had a friend put the car in gear, I held onto the stub shaft and the hub and had him power brake it forward and reverse. I felt the stub shaft move relative to the the stationary hub. Either the splines wore out or the new hub (also from red china) is junk. Just based on my logic I went back to Advance to get another red china axle.... Replaced the axle and now the noise is gone so I am thinking the GM axle splines wore out...

Confused as to why my axle wore out but one thing is certain that I have noticed. Both outer joints had a 1/16" of play when brushed side to side...Vehicle vibration did come and go at times....

So the list is of new parts to date that failed rather prematurely:
Axles- $160
Hub/ Bearings- $120
Evaporative Vent Purge Soleniod- $30
Oil Level Sensor- $15
Brakes- $220

OnStar Controller- Warrenty
Passenger Side Seat Track- Warrenty
Driver Side Seat Track/ Motor Assembly- Warrenty
Air Bag Controller- Warrenty
P/S Cooler Line- Recall

Last edited by Count of Monte Carlo; 05-29-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your axles give you trouble try these next time.

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...ts1.php?id=596

-Mike
Old 05-31-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice to know those are there. I cant belive that I wore them out like that....GM is usually pretty good with axles.

Quick Reply: AXLE SHMAXLE!!! (long)