LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

DOD Cam Swap (formerly known as Preliminary Feedback On New Era G8GT Cam in an LS4)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks and sounds really nice! time for a aftermarket exhaust so we can really hear that cam lol
Old 06-17-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

trap speed?
Old 06-17-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

i need to make my way up there again when you are there.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Badass video man, love the way thay cam sounds hope you can fine tune it to where you want it.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
trap speed?
says 101.34
Old 06-17-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's an impressive trap speed for a 14.47 run. Get that launch and timing figured out!
Old 06-18-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks everyone for all of the feedback! It's a work in progress, but I'll get 'er done.

Originally Posted by GXP25
One unrelated question: Is there some way to get the engine cover on with the LS6 intake manifold?

EDIT: Nice clean-looking cross over pipe! We should really get Doug Thorley to fix that crossover pipe.
I'm sure it could be done, but you'd have to make your own system to mount it. And yeah, the header whistle is annoying and the crossover plumbing cleary did not have to be as close to the throttle as it was.

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
Keep working on that tune and learn how to manage that throttle! It might be time for some 275's up front.
I'm pretty well sold, so the next time I need rubber I'm moving up. How have those tires done for wear?

Originally Posted by TiredGXP
That's an impressive trap speed for a 14.47 run. Get that launch and timing figured out!
Hey, I know that you bump around a lot of forums. I see that some people say that you have to upgrade injectors above 80% and others say that as long is it's not for a long time (ie circle track/top speed racing), a 90% duty cycle is fine. Any thoughts? I'd like to keep the stockers for now, but I don't want to frag anything.

Originally Posted by DP 08 GXP
i need to make my way up there again when you are there.
For sure. It was a nice relaxed atmosphere. Just don't make fun of my paint... all of you detail guys out there have way more patience than me. I know that it's not perfect and I park in busy parking lots all of the time.

Originally Posted by monte_with_a_LS4
looks and sounds really nice! time for a aftermarket exhaust so we can really hear that cam lol
Exhaust is further down the list after some traction work. I have a Summit gift card, so I think I'm gonna get a plain jane $30 cutout for track times and the occasional weekend cruise.

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
trap speed?
You lauch with TC on, right? Do you ever get TC hits? I'm thinking that if I practice launching with TC on and don't get any hits, then I'm doing well.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

from my experience at the track, when launching i go 1/4-1/3 throttle out of the gate then a second after go 3/4 then WOT, you can feel the limits of how much throttle you can give it. my launch felt so good and with only going 1/4-1/3 throttle off the line i still got a good 60ft time, just takes practice, launching on the street compared to the track is way way different lol. i would say try some drag radials and some of the block you put in the back springs.

Last edited by 94ss06gxp; 06-18-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

i wouldnt make fun of your paint man lol...maybe just give ya a few pointers haha
Old 06-18-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nmp0098
Hey, I know that you bump around a lot of forums. I see that some people say that you have to upgrade injectors above 80% and others say that as long is it's not for a long time (ie circle track/top speed racing), a 90% duty cycle is fine. Any thoughts? I'd like to keep the stockers for now, but I don't want to frag anything.
I've heard numbers between 80% and 85%. If the duty cycle is too large, the solenoids in the injectors can overheat and stick. For a DD, especially one that sees cold temperatures, I'd size the injectors for the lower end of the range.

Our stock injectors are ~28 lb/hr, and should support about 380 crank hp at an 80% duty cycle.

Just for comparison, I think my Subie comes stock with 42 lb/hr injectors (440 cc/min), so they're close to 80% duty cycle stock (need to buy new tuning equipment and run some logs, so this is just an estimate). If I want to hit 300whp safely, I'll probably have to bump those up to ~60 lb/hr.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

You might be going lean. i wasn't aware of the injector percentage when we spoke last. We really need to get the wideband on there.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much are fuel injectors
Old 06-19-2010, 11:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp
from my experience at the track, when launching i go 1/4-1/3 throttle out of the gate then a second after go 3/4 then WOT, you can feel the limits of how much throttle you can give it. my launch felt so good and with only going 1/4-1/3 throttle off the line i still got a good 60ft time, just takes practice, launching on the street compared to the track is way way different lol. i would say try some drag radials and some of the block you put in the back springs.
I definately need practice. The car drives a lot different now, and since the cam doesn't really come to life until 2500RPM I had trouble with bogging if I launched at too low an RPM. I did cut one 2.25 60' with a similar strategy, but then spun the tires badly by going to WOT at 30mph and ended up with a 14.6 at 101. Also, spring blocks are probably in my future but I'm sticking with street tires based on the advice of my trans builder.

Originally Posted by TiredGXP
I've heard numbers between 80% and 85%. If the duty cycle is too large, the solenoids in the injectors can overheat and stick. For a DD, especially one that sees cold temperatures, I'd size the injectors for the lower end of the range.

Our stock injectors are ~28 lb/hr, and should support about 380 crank hp at an 80% duty cycle.

Just for comparison, I think my Subie comes stock with 42 lb/hr injectors (440 cc/min), so they're close to 80% duty cycle stock (need to buy new tuning equipment and run some logs, so this is just an estimate). If I want to hit 300whp safely, I'll probably have to bump those up to ~60 lb/hr.
That's pretty much what I've heard about duty cycle. I think I might be OK if I can keep things under 90% without going lean, because I was hitting 89% right at the top of first and second with what I think (thought, maybe?) was 12.7:1. I think those max HP estimates are a little sketchy, because they assume a constant BFSC. Small Chevy's have been well under 0.4 BSFC at a lot operating points ever since the Vortec heads debuted, albeit near peak torque, not peak power. By the way, at first I was thinking "wait a minute, 42lbs/hr should be plenty", but then I remembered that you have half the cylinders, lol. So even though you'll need more expensive injectors, you'll only need half as many.

Originally Posted by JDMC5
You might be going lean. i wasn't aware of the injector percentage when we spoke last. We really need to get the wideband on there.
No doubt. The more we talked about that detonation I was hearing and feeling, the less I think it's entirely an advance issue. I haven't jumped on it since that night at the track. Actually, that's an outright lie, but I've tried really hard not to. In the mean time, I've got it idling well enough to stop flashing all of the time, so the hopefully the LTFTs learn in pretty soon and I can flash them in, avoiding having to spend too much time with the wideband. I hate that HP Tuners only supports a full flash for the E67, cause flashing just the cal would make my life so much easier.

Originally Posted by Sittingmongoose
How much are fuel injectors
Actually dude, this might not be too big of a deal. At the kind of manifold vacuums that I'm seeing, our injectors flow about 27.6lbs/hr. Stock LS2 injectors flow just over 33lbs/hr at the same vacuum, and they should be fairly easy to pick up lightly used. I'm watching some on EBay now. They also shouldn't jack up the low end. I'm not even sure I'll need them until I hit up the wideband and figure out what's going on.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:35 AM
TECH Regular

Here's my new TB adapter. I If you remember, I just punched out the nuts for the bottom two bolts, and just used modified washers and nuts to retain the TB on the bottom. So, I don't need to have seperate holes to account for the difference in the location of the bottom bolts between the TB and LS6 mani. It ended up being a 3/8" NPT fitting that worked with the 1/2" hose. I'm hoping that my brakes get back to at least pre-cam levels, if not stock feeling.

I also ordered a 2.5" cutout to go by the rear wheel (like others have done), some header wrap for the crossover, and some self adhesive heat shielding for the bottom half of the throttle body and my new adapter. Hopefully I'll be able to keep my intake air temps under 100 degrees now.

And now I'm gonna put the keyboard down, step away from the computer, and hit the sack.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Regular

I put some pics from the swap in my original post if you missed them.

I also stumbled onto some reported specs for the cam, too:

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.p...-Era-DoD-Cams=

That post has the cam at 224/232, 0.570"/0.575", 113LSA. I was told the cam was about 0.575" lift on a 113LSA with ramps that aren't super aggressive by Mike at New Era, and the duration specs match what I'm seeing from the power band, so I think they are pretty close if not dead on.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's a pretty big cam for the little 5.3.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

you'd be surprised how tame it is though.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

That about the cam specs i just got installed. 222/226 and lsa 114
Old 06-21-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

how do you like it over the LS6 cam? Are you maxing your injectors?
Old 06-21-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

i havent gotten the car back yet. I may get it back on Friday. I will post DYNO results when i get it back

Quick Reply: DOD Cam Swap (formerly known as Preliminary Feedback On New Era G8GT Cam in an LS4)