TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muscle Car

I just saw the show muscle car they have a 1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
with the 426 Hemi and this is the thing you guys need to know 0-60
5.6 seconds and the stock #s of our cars are what

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...04/139483.html
This is our story!!
More Than Three Decades and 380 Victories Provide Blueprint for Continued On-Track Success for The Winningest Name in Racing

INDIANAPOLIS - Chevrolet will debut an all-new Monte Carlo SS race car for NASCAR NEXTEL Cup and Busch Series competition in 2006. The new car will carry the legendary name and heritage of the "SS" line, relating to a powerful, new V-8-powered production Monte Carlo SS that is making its debut on the 50th Anniversary of the introduction of the Chevrolet Small Block V-8 engine.

"We've won races in Monte Carlos for years, and it's exciting that we'll have a brand new one to race next year," said Jeff Gordon, four-time NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Champion and driver of the #24 DuPont Chevrolet Monte Carlo. "The new car looks to be even faster than the one we have this year and I can't wait to get a chance to race it. These cars are so fun and fast to race, and it's great that fans will now be able to come even closer to that experience with the new small block V-8 in the Monte Carlo SS."

The new race car was developed over a 14-month period using the full complement of engineering and design tools available to the people at GM Racing and Chevrolet. The company's engineers worked in concert with their key partners on pit lane, the real "customers" for the new Monte Carlo SS race car.

"We worked with all our Chevy teams to get their input on how to make a better race car, and I believe that shows in our new Monte Carlo SS," said Pat Suhy, GM Racing group manager for NASCAR racing. "We spent a lot of hours in our wind tunnel, coast-down test facility and on race tracks to make the Monte Carlo even better. Having the SS name on our new race car is important as it directly relates to the high-performance SS that the thousands of Chevy race fans can buy for the street."

The new race car retains the overall dimensions of the 2005 model, based on the sport's requirements. NASCAR continues to emphasize retaining stock dimensions, which means a good body design is essential for success in stock car racing. Unlike other manufacturers who race family sedans, Chevrolet remains the only marque in NASCAR racing that sells to fans the same two-door sports coupe that it races.

"I believe that in key areas we're able to work with our production counterparts to ensure that the race car is as good as it can be within the boundaries defined by NASCAR," said Suhy. "This shows in the front end design which retains some key characteristics that made Monte Carlo a winner and allows us to improve the race version even further. This should allow our teams to enjoy continued success across at tracks where we've historically been successful."

Following NASCAR approval, teams will begin building development cars in preparation for testing that leads up to its debut at Speedweeks. The car will make its competition debut at Speedweeks at Daytona International Speedway in February, 2006.

The Monte Carlo was introduced in September 1969 as a 1970 model in the form of a firebreathing, 454 cu. in., 360-hp SS and made its NASCAR debut the same year. It has reigned as the winningest model since that time, with only a brief absence from 1988-1994. The Monte Carlo returned in 1995 and continued to take checkered flags around the country. In total, from 1971 to the present, Monte Carlo has scored 380 NASCAR Cup wins and led Chevrolet to 20 Manufacturers' Cup Championships (of 24) - more than any other nameplate. Every single victory came under the power of GM's legendary Small Block V-8 engine, which celebrates its 50th Anniversary in 2005.

On the street, buyers of the new Monte Carlo SS will notice the similarities to the car that is the choice of NASCAR stars. The exterior features large headlamps that have a premium, jeweled appearance with three independent lighting units. These details complement other high-quality attributes to provide an overall feeling of solidity. All models receive a sporty rear spoiler.

The muscular Monte Carlo SS has a new 5.3L small block V-8 developing 303 horsepower (226 kw) and 323 lb.-ft. (438 Nm) of torque, propelling it from 0-60 mph in 5.7 seconds. The 5.3L V-8 uses Displacement on Demand technology to regulate between eight-cylinder and four-cylinder operation, providing up to 8 percent improved fuel economy in certain driving conditions.

The Monte Carlo SS has a distinct front-end appearance, with a dual-split grille that has a black-diamond crosshatch pattern. The rear spoiler is unique, too, suggesting the purposefulness of NASCAR spoilers. Corvette-inspired bright exhaust outlets also are standard on the Monte Carlo SS.

Like a tuned NASCAR racer, the Monte Carlo SS comes with a unique suspension as well. The FE4 suspension, which is tuned to provide a sporty ride that complements the 5.3L small-block V-8's performance. It offers increased stiffness and ride control, with reduced body lean and greater high-speed stability. The 34-mm hollow front stabilizer bar and 18-mm solid rear stabilizer bar are larger in diameter than the bars of the two FE2 suspension settings, providing increased roll control. Eighteen-inch alloy wheels with W-rated P235/50R18 AL3 Goodyear Eagle RS-A performance tires are included with the FE4 suspension.

Monte Carlo shows several significant changes that continue to build upon the car's sporty heritage. With an unmatched lineage that reaches back more than three decades, the new Monte Carlo SS race car promises that "The Revolution Races On."

And they Say we are not a muscle Car we are 1/10th of a second slower than the 426 Hemi Charger of the so called Muscle car era

Last edited by Mels SS; 07-11-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs up

I have seen this argument about 100 times on the boards I am on. Weather a FWD, or even a pony car or a wagon or a 4 door is a muscle car.

First off. Does the FWD LS cars deserve the term?
look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_car

Personally they are "Modern" Muscle Cars.
The problem is there is not many 2 door car out there so its kinda hard to make a muscle car out of somethign thats not around. on the FWD LS4 platform it was just the MC..

So yes they deserve the term in the best idea of what it means.
and here is something to read also:

http://blog.cardomain.com/2009/02/23...rand-prix-gxp/
pulled from the link:
I would say it is the closest thing to a new gereration muscle car, when you look at the fact that it is based off of an already in production vehicle. That being said, the four doors argument is out, because of cars like the Charger/300C. Also FWD is what most automakers have available to work with now days, just like they had RWD back in the 60′s, 70′s, and mabey into the 80′s. So, you can hate my guts all you want, but I call it a muscle car. Kudos to Rick V. for his logical and non aggressive post.

Now the thing about the Charger Super Bee. Those numbers are very and I mean very off. period correct and right tires. Sure you will not go anywhere as this muscle car did not.
Put some 16" stock tires on your SS and see what she runs.
Now IM not arguing anything but stock for stock yes our cars can hang with the best of them out there from the muscle car era.
But I wish I had the article or link. They threw new tires on soem of these old muscle cars to show you what was left on the ground and some of the cars dropped 2 seconds off thier 1/4 mile times. Huge lot. And took some time off thier 0-60.
Again not making excusess or what not but 30-40 years of tech has caught up with brute force.

Man I wish I could find that mag. It was all these factory restored cars that they did the baseline then they put new tires on and it woke them right up.
So I mean if you see a restored superbee runnign on some new chrome..chances are hes going to take you and take you bad..

but to sum it up and with the links. YES the LS4 FWD cars are part of the muscle car catagory. But you will not get everyone to think so.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks Mel.

IMO, a muscle car is a production car, possibly a rebodied car built on a mass produced platform, that the manufacturer stuffed full of the largest engine possible. I'm sure that a larger engine could not have been stuffed under this hood, and have you ever noticed how many W bodies are on the roads? Using Z28s tire argument, our FWD traction limitations give us more in common with 60s muscle cars than most think.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Z28 Autobot
I have seen this argument about 100 times on the boards I am on. Weather a FWD, or even a pony car or a wagon or a 4 door is a muscle car.

First off. Does the FWD LS cars deserve the term?
look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_car

Personally they are "Modern" Muscle Cars.
The problem is there is not many 2 door car out there so its kinda hard to make a muscle car out of somethign thats not around. on the FWD LS4 platform it was just the MC..

So yes they deserve the term in the best idea of what it means.
and here is something to read also:

http://blog.cardomain.com/2009/02/23...rand-prix-gxp/
pulled from the link:

Now the thing about the Charger Super Bee. Those numbers are very and I mean very off. period correct and right tires. Sure you will not go anywhere as this muscle car did not.
Put some 16" stock tires on your SS and see what she runs.
Now IM not arguing anything but stock for stock yes our cars can hang with the best of them out there from the muscle car era.
But I wish I had the article or link. They threw new tires on soem of these old muscle cars to show you what was left on the ground and some of the cars dropped 2 seconds off thier 1/4 mile times. Huge lot. And took some time off thier 0-60.
Again not making excusess or what not but 30-40 years of tech has caught up with brute force.

Man I wish I could find that mag. It was all these factory restored cars that they did the baseline then they put new tires on and it woke them right up.
So I mean if you see a restored superbee runnign on some new chrome..chances are hes going to take you and take you bad..

but to sum it up and with the links. YES the LS4 FWD cars are part of the muscle car catagory. But you will not get everyone to think so.
No there not off they did the run on the show not from 40 years ago
Old 07-11-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 201 Likes on 99 Posts

I try not to get hung up on the term muscle car... there are alot of cars nowdays than have plenty of hp, but wouldn't necessarily be considered muscle cars.

My fiero was/is a lowly commuter car... even when it had 283 whp with a SBC in a 2900 lbs car.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mels SS
No there not off they did the run on the show not from 40 years ago
Yea I know. If your talking about a factory restored car on that show its still using tire dimensions that came on that car from the factory in 1969..probably a 15" skinny tire.
Like this one

Tires now a days the contact patch is double that. Go look at your tire compared to that picture. Your losing a lot of power having skinny wheels.

I mean you should know a little of the history of what they would do to get past the goverment. Throw on crappy tires and restrictive carbs on the cars. The buyer would take the car home slap on a hipo carb and some good tires and your in the 1/4 mile times that people said they would do.

14.2 from the factory..wider tires and a little carb work. your doing 12.2. Thats a fact man and was the norm of the day. Stock for stock our cars are just as fast. But we dont have those little tricks and small to bigger tires to get more power out of the cars. Those small tires wasted a lot of power trying to get the car going. Like I said go out and slap some base 16" stock Monte Carlo tires on your car and see how fast you go. I bet it will knock at least a second off your time if not more.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fieroguru
I try not to get hung up on the term muscle car... there are alot of cars nowdays than have plenty of hp, but wouldn't necessarily be considered muscle cars.

My fiero was/is a lowly commuter car... even when it had 283 whp with a SBC in a 2900 lbs car.

but it did not come from the factory like that..and it is a sports car like the Solstice. Its not a muscle car.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

In my opinion, we definately have Muscle Cars, just modern day ones. Some old muscle cars couldn't even break into the 13's. FWD or not, we DO have muscle cars. This is just my opinion.

-Mike
Old 07-11-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

1/4 mile times are just a little part of being a muscle part, i would consider my 94 SS to be a muscle car, probablly more modern, but she is 4k-5k lbs and runs 15.1's