LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Stabilitrak or ? ever cut your engine power?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stabilitrak or ? ever cut your engine power?

Anyone ever have a problem with engine power being cut by the computer systems?

I have had several instances where I would be under power, make a move with the car and suddenly the throttle is cut off. I'm on the pedal 100% and the engine is not making power.

Once I was on the freeway and trying to make a quick move to from the right to the left lane and it cut out on me (high speed and WOT), once on a corner under power I hit a small bump in the road and it cut out, the other was on a straight line acceleration I hit a shallow pothole (just started accelerating) and it cut out on me.

I need to figure out how to make this stop. It's annoying.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Regular

Well if its doing it at high speed then your pushing you car or tires to there limits meaning the tires are losing traction as for stright line more then likley its diff anti-score.On my car this happens only when one wheel is spinning and it shuts down or you have traction control on. The only way to get rid of it is to tune it out but if you tune it out all the way you'll be buying a new trans soon.Hope this helps.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

this happens to me also. when at WOT with traction control off it cuts off the throttle
Old 07-24-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by monte_with_a_LS4
this happens to me also. when at WOT with traction control off it cuts off the throttle
Same here.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

is it happen cornering hard? straight? does any lights come on when it happens?
Old 07-25-2010, 01:13 AM

yea that **** happens to me.. i get the service stabilitrak n it feels like it cutting out.. normaly only does it when i first turn it on... when it around 100 out
Old 07-25-2010, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

I've only had the power cut out when I was on ice. It does lose acceleration when I take off turning. I think it protects the axles from the extra torque when steering.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

i get it when turning to
Old 07-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Mine does this, only worse. I've only had the car for about 3500 miles, and noticed it on a vacation from central Iowa out to the Black Hills. I'd have the car on cruise at about 65 mph, and if I hit a relatively large bump or dip, the cruise would kick off, and the doors would unlock and relock. Additionally, I'd get the "Service Stability System", "Service Traction System", and "Service ABS System" messages in the DIC, and accompanying dash lights. But, once you'd turn the car off, and back on, it seemed like there's no issue.

However, it got progressively worse, and now happens more often, though very intermittently. Sometimes, I'll simply be accelerating out of my driveway, then the door locks will cycle, power gets cut, and then the trio of messages and lights come on. I agree, it's more than annoying. I've actually had it in the shop under warranty off an on for about the past three weeks. The first time they returned it to me, they said there was a bad ground. Maybe so, but it kept doing it. Then they said I had a bad battery, and replaced it, claiming that was the fix. No dice. I just got it back Saturday, and they claimed the vehicle was losing power through the ignition switch, so they replaced it. Again, it's acting up. I'm inclined to think this is a BCM issue, but they don't want to hear it from me. Maybe this is beyond the scope of your issue, but if they manage to fix it, I'll follow up and let you know.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

i was told with my last gp that the sensors on the hub were dirty setting the abs light off and if that goes off all three lights will to for some reason? and does anyone have an aftermarket alarm?
Old 07-26-2010, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Mine's been tuned out for a while now.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
Did you tune it yourself?
Old 07-28-2010, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Hawkins04
i was told with my last gp that the sensors on the hub were dirty setting the abs light off and if that goes off all three lights will to for some reason? and does anyone have an aftermarket alarm?
I have an '02 Monte that had the same deal. There was a TSB out about them, noting that the original wiring going to the wheels was too short, and unnecessary flexing cause the insulation and wire to break, allowing in moisture which corroded and ultimately caused the circuit to fail. I replaced the wiring about ten thousand miles ago, and I've never had an issue.

I mentioned this to the dealership when I was in there, and they said that the wheel speed sensors are much different on these as compared to the previous generation of W-bodies.

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
I'm a little unclear on this. When you tune it out, it just disables the vehicle to post the code, so technically, you could have parameters out of spec that would cause the vehicle to not have Stabilitrack or ABS or Traction Control, but you just wouldn't know about it, correct?
Old 07-28-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

i also have everything that will cut my power tuned out

Quick Reply: Stabilitrak or ? ever cut your engine power?