LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Glasspacks

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My flowmaster 40 series are pretty loud. I took me a week to get used to them. I get compliments all the time about how kick *** the car sounds... It's a tough decision without hearing the options in person, so good luck!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
I hate our sound. my friends refer to my car as the boat. its long, white, idles like "blub blub blub blub" and it doesn't turn very well in parking lots.

I think my car sounds like a truck too.

Indeed..When i had my flowmaster super 40's, i was often mistaken for a truck when entering developments. My dad even said it sounds like a truck. But being as though we have that 5.3 engine that is used in trucks, i understand. Now it sounds like a 67 Impala SS with a big block
Old 08-03-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by texasGXP08
My flowmaster 40 series are pretty loud. I took me a week to get used to them. I get compliments all the time about how kick *** the car sounds... It's a tough decision without hearing the options in person, so good luck!
You aren't kidding man. It's a very hard decision.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

What if I left my mufflers and replaced the resonator with a much smaller one? Thoughts?
Old 08-03-2010, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wouldnt be the sound you're looking for...I would just remove the resonator and put flowmaster super 44 mufflers in place of the old ones..Some like it and some dont. I liked when i had mine on but i wanted the obnoxious and louder route
Old 08-03-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Well the res doesn't really alter the tone all that much, it just eats some of the rasp and the popping on decel. It will change the volume a little too .
Old 08-04-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
Well the res doesn't really alter the tone all that much, it just eats some of the rasp and the popping on decel. It will change the volume a little too .
Thanks. Decisions, decisions. lol
Old 08-04-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Mufflers will set the tone. You can kill some rasp, decibels, and smooth the tone out by putting a type of resonator on. I've heard that they do this more effectively without messing with the overall tone by placing them BEFORE the muffler in the exhaust stream, rather than after (getting a glasspack tone and effect). Ive never expiramented with this so I don't know what to tell you. I can tell you that manufacturers place the resonator before the muffler so there may be some truth to this. The more bends you have, the quieter it will be. Length of pipe also plays a big role in this. Resonance and drone are reduced dramatically by running the end of the tailpipe to the outside of the body (ie out to the edge of the bumper).
Old 08-04-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I might just get a smaller resonator. Swap 'em out and see how she sounds.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Teching In

You could try just deleting the res and having just the Summit mufflers. I think my car sounds great with just the res removed and the stock mufflers. Or you could replace the res with SLP Loudmouth2 bullet mufflers (LM2's) and get rid of the Summit mufflers altogether. They do sound pretty sweet, not nearly as loud and obnoxious as the original Loudmouths.

It's your choice, exhaust sound is an extremely personal thing!
Old 08-06-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by powerslave_clay
You could try just deleting the res and having just the Summit mufflers. I think my car sounds great with just the res removed and the stock mufflers. Or you could replace the res with SLP Loudmouth2 bullet mufflers (LM2's) and get rid of the Summit mufflers altogether. They do sound pretty sweet, not nearly as loud and obnoxious as the original Loudmouths.

It's your choice, exhaust sound is an extremely personal thing!
Yeah. I like the way my car sounds though, a lot, this would just make it louder I think.

Quick Reply: Glasspacks