LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Test Drove Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hold uppp!

I had a L99 camaro 10, offcourse bone stock its sluggish. My SS had SLP headers, vararam intake, SLP 2 LMs and a tune from SCT and the car was fast as hell, also. i did a fuse pull and reset the TCM/PCM b/c the dealer put 91 oct in the camaro i put 93 and it no lie made a big differnce, i was very happy!! read my thread in the camaro fourm.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deelong4002
Well if the camaro is limited by its "poundage" your IMP is limited by GM's lack of vision in making it FWD. I owned a 2000 SS monte. Great car, looked awesome, torque steered like a ****. I can only imagine how much worse it would be with an LSx motor connected to the transaxle.

Sorry bro, but new the Camaro SS would romp your Impala Manual or Auto, Roll or Dig.
We never said that it wouldn't. But not for nothing, if we had a '10 Camaro engine in (nevermind the 6 speed) our W-bodys then it wouldnt matter as we simply weigh less. And our cars don't torque steer as much as you think, in fact it is as easy pointing the wheel, planting the gas and going. There is no wheel hop, no lead off during a shift, and both tires light up equally providing the wheels are straight, which is pretty much the only time you want to nail the gas anyways as pretty much any car will lead off. GM's vision was not lacking, they wrote the book on front drive and they perfected it SPECIFICALLY with our cars and the Cobalt SS. And as always, an intrinsic benefit is that I can drive in bad weather and not have to worry about the tractional integrity as much. And for track use, you would be surprised at what a simple set of drag radials can easily do for us.

I have had 4th Gen V8 Camaro. And I loved the car but it had absoultely nothing to do with the driving wheels, and in the big picture, vehicle drive does not mean all that much and is short sighted. There are plenty of good FWD and RWD cars out there that drive just fine and handle as well as another, some much better than others. The key to this is not the drive wheels, but the suspension tuning, chassis design, and last and foremost, tires. Technology is a wonderful thing when specifically, and correctly applied.

You want to see GM's vision in action take a look at the front suspension on the new Buick Regal. As breakthrough design, I am sure it will be adapted to use more and more .

Last edited by Count of Monte Carlo; 08-04-2010 at 06:11 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Carlo
We never said that it wouldn't. But not for nothing, if we had a '10 Camaro engine in (nevermind the 6 speed) our W-bodys then it wouldnt matter as we simply weigh less. And our cars don't torque steer as much as you think, in fact it is as easy pointing the wheel, planting the gas and going. There is no wheel hop, no lead off during a shift, and both tires light up equally providing the wheels are straight, which is pretty much the only time you want to nail the gas anyways as pretty much any car will lead off. GM's vision was not lacking, they wrote the book on front drive and they perfected it SPECIFICALLY with our cars and the Cobalt SS. And as always, an intrinsic benefit is that I can drive in bad weather and not have to worry about the tractional integrity as much. And for track use, you would be surprised at what a simple set of drag radials can easily do for us.

I have had 4th Gen V8 Camaro. And I loved the car but it had absoultely nothing to do with the driving wheels, and in the big picture, vehicle drive does not mean all that much and is short sighted. There are plenty of good FWD and RWD cars out there that drive just fine and handle as well as another, some much better than others. The key to this is not the drive wheels, but the suspension tuning, chassis design, and last and foremost, tires. Technology is a wonderful thing when specifically, and correctly applied.

You want to see GM's vision in action take a look at the front suspension on the new Buick Regal. As breakthrough design, I am sure it will be adapted to use more and more .

thank you for the clarification..all i was saying is that i wasnt impressed by the drive. believe me i know they will hand me my *** but i just wasnt impressed by it at all
Old 08-04-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm glad we have so many people that come in our section and remind us that our cars suck. Despite our valid criticisms on the new '10 SS.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
I'm glad we have so many people that come in our section and remind us that our cars suck. Despite our valid criticisms on the new '10 SS.
I dont think your cars suck at all. I just dont think its a valid comparison whatsoever.
How can one compare a 4 door sedan, to a 2 door coupe, in the area of interior room and comfort? Of course an impala has more room, that's what it's made for.

The Monte is the car i'm really sad about. The body lines scream RWD V8 Luxury muscle, just like the original, but then GM makes it front wheel drive. Dont get me wrong, front wheel drive is great for the daily driver, but in my opinion, a front wheel drive V8 2 door car doesnt make alot of sense. If GM had made the monte a Rear drive, LS2 car, i wouldn't even own my Camaro. My Monte was a much more solid car than my Camaro can dream of. But you know what? My Camaro is way more fun to drive.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^ Then go drive it and stop posting
Old 08-04-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bryan921SS
^^^^ Then go drive it and stop posting
He posted a review of a product. Mind you he posted it in the wrong forum because it has nothing to do with an LS4 front drive vehicle, so i have every right to comment on its content. You LS4 guys dont have your own little world on here where no one with a RWD car can view the content. It's an open forum.

Post this review in the correct forum, or one of the more frequently traveled general discussion forums on here, and you'd be lucky to have someone like me who commented on it.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow....it was a joke....we do feel lucky to have you posting here. Most LS1 guys that come in here try to tell us we suck...
Old 08-04-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow....it was a joke....we do feel lucky to have you posting here. Most LS1 guys that come in here try to tell us we suck...
You wont hear that from me. I'd love to have a GXP grand prix, or an Impala as a daily driver. From a roll, i'm sure you're cars are pretty damn fast. Hell my v6 monte ss wasnt slow. It would definately hold it's own against the 1998 Mustang GT convertible i drove. Now i think we can all agree that those are pieces of ****. lol. Common ground
Old 08-04-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW your from Midland huh?

I used to go to college at SVSU, not too far away from you.

I drive right by there just about every weekend. My family has a cottage in Mio, about an hour and a half or so north of you.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Carlo

I thought the Regal still used a MacPherson strut suspension.......from Popular Mechanics
The Regal's suspension consists of MacPherson struts up front with aluminum lower control arms and an aluminum four-link setup in the rear, both ends equipped with direct-acting, tubular antiroll bars. An electronic adaptive-damping shock system called the Interactive Drive Control System (IDCS)—which features three push-button selectable programs: normal, tour and sport—is available for the turbo model.
From Road and Track.................
As a high-end option, expect only CXS trim-level LaCrosse’s to have them by May of this year. Most assuring, though, was hearing Buick folk speaking seriously about performance, ride quality, and design.
I thought the HiPer Strut would only be on the Lacrosse?

Old 08-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

when i get back in january 2012, i really want the new sti sedan thats comin out soon
Old 08-04-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deelong4002
Mind you he posted it in the wrong forum because it has nothing to do with an LS4 front drive vehicle,
Welcome to LS4 tech. I think the only thing we can't post here is semi nude photos.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 08-05-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brian396
welcome to ls4 tech. I think the only thing we can't post here is semi nude photos.
Originally Posted by 1cl3ansup3rsport
lol...
Old 08-05-2010, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

my camaro can beat your camaro
Old 08-05-2010, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by deeboe
I had a L99 camaro 10, offcourse bone stock its sluggish.
You want sluggish, go drive a 2011 Mustang 5.0 auto. Unless you are above 3000 rpms & manually shifting it you feel like you are driving a 90s V6 Mustang. That test drive was such a disappointment.

My test drive in the Camaro SS/RS auto didn't seem sluggish at all but I had just driven the sluggish 2011 Mustang auto. The Camaro did run out of power at 6,000 rpms.

We are looking a buying a new Camaro SS/RS. I'm going to rent one for a week so my wife can drive and see if the blind spots are too much for her. I rented one in Vegas for 4 days and the blind spots didn't bother me at all.

Originally Posted by JP_GXP
Monte - 3500
GXP - 3600
Imp - 3700
Camaro - 4000
I put my new SRT8 Challenger on the scales this week. 4,100 lbs -

Last edited by Heslekrants; 08-05-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Heslekrants

I put my new SRT8 Challenger on the scales this week. 4,100 lbs -

Oink, oink. JMWY.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Heslekrants
You want sluggish, go drive a 2011 Mustang 5.0 auto. Unless you are above 3000 rpms & manually shifting it you feel like you are driving a 90s V6 Mustang. That test drive was such a disappointment.
That is disappointing.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JP_GXP
Oink, oink. JMWY.
I took my piggy (Challenger SRT8) for a run last night.

¼ mile with no wheel spin & slightly uphill. tranny left in drive.

0-60 mph with no wheel spin, tranny left in drive