LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Ls4 mr2

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT
I could only imagine the looks on peoples faces ,when you start it up..."What do you got in there a V8",LOL
I was actually thinking that while I was engineering the first turbo system (I'm going to run NA for a bit first), I'll look in the local yard for the biggest muffler I can fit under the rear of my car. Some OEM muffler designed to really neuter the V8 that came in it's car. Imagine the look on the face of the dude that challenges me when I hit the cutout switch! From nearly silent to 2.5' of straight pipe! Gilbert Gottfried suddenly transforms into Hulk Hogan....WHATCHA GONNA DO, BROTHER?
Old 08-29-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBlur
I was actually thinking that while I was engineering the first turbo system (I'm going to run NA for a bit first), I'll look in the local yard for the biggest muffler I can fit under the rear of my car. Some OEM muffler designed to really neuter the V8 that came in it's car. Imagine the look on the face of the dude that challenges me when I hit the cutout switch! From nearly silent to 2.5' of straight pipe! Gilbert Gottfried suddenly transforms into Hulk Hogan....WHATCHA GONNA DO, BROTHER?
Good luck with the project!

I did a straight SB Chevy V8 swap into a Fiero about 10 years ago. For exhaust, we wound up using a couple of Cherry Bomb glasspacks to quiet things down. Big mufflers, at least on the Fiero, simply did not fit. Hopefully it will be easier on your "Mister 2".
Old 08-29-2010, 01:59 PM
Teching In

I'll probably find one that will fit. For the entertainment it'll provide, I'm motivated to at least try. It's likely that I'll find something that I may have to alter a bit, or I may just simply fab one up. I suppose I could just get a stock MR2 muffler and stuff it full of steel wool. It won't need to last too long. Picture the fun that it will be.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thumbs up

LOL,sounds like great fun good luck on the rest of your project...
Old 08-29-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

very cool project.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT
LOL,sounds like great fun good luck on the rest of your project...
Originally Posted by MYSTIC-1SC
very cool project.
Thanks all! I'm really looking forward to finishing this, but have to fit it into my shop's schedule. $ rules all, you know. I'm designing the engine mounting setup now. Trying to decide which idea is best. A cradle setup like the guy did on the Fiero, or mounting it to the stock locations on my car. The car & engine/trans are designed to mate up in two completely different ways. I've been thinking of doing some kind of mix of the two. Maybe a mini-cradle hard mounted to the engine/trans and then use stock style mounts from the cradle to the chassis. Or a cradle hard mounted to the chassis and the existing crossmember with the package mounted to it. I'll pick what I think is strongest. The guy that did this in the Fiero used the stock cradle. I'm thinking that I may just try the cradle route and design a cradle for my car but also utilize at least one dog-bone up top tied into the upper cross brace I intend to make. I may put an additional dog-bone on the other end of the engine as well. Somehow I envision the engine twisting the cradle if there aren't any upper mounts. I realize there are countless front-rear mounted engines that rock only two engine mounts, but they also usually have much beefier frames. I'll likely incorporate a little overkill on the cradle and mounts so I can feel more confident about approaching the power levels I'm thinking of. Stay tuned all. I'll be making a few big leaps next weekend!

Oh yeah. Here's the Fiero build. It's been very helpful.
http://www.gmtuners.com/LS4/swap1.htm
Old 08-13-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Was sad when there was no update.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 211 Likes on 103 Posts

I too would love to see this finished!

Here is a N*/F40 6 speed 1st Gen MR2:
http://www.v8mr2.com/
Old 08-13-2011, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn how did I miss this thread a year ago??
Old 08-13-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by impss07
damn how did i miss this thread a year ago??
^^^ x2
Old 08-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

when u get it running post a video
Old 08-15-2011, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sick build . I love it!
Old 08-15-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

cool build for sure
Old 08-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Hey all. Been busy with closing our shop earlier this year & moving to a new area (only 25 miles away). It's got the engine hanging in the bay with an engine brace until I can make time to fabricate some mounts & measure for axles. I'll keep y'all posted on any & all progress I make. I'm hoping to get back on it this month.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Still no further progress to report. Looking at putting up a small (30' x 40) steel building on our little acre so I can get back to work on my projects, especially this one! With the diff trying to "occupy" my driver's side lower control arm mount location, I'll be needing to redesign my suspension just a little. I may be able to drop the mount location by 4" to clear the diff, as well as the rest of the lower sub-frame mounting points. We'll see. First thing; shop & lift > my garage, engine hoist, & jackstands. SO ready to get back on this!
Old 02-20-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Regular

What is your plan for axles and hubs?
Old 02-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlazinT/A
What is your plan for axles and hubs?
I'll be having the stock SS axles cut & re-splined for the turbo rear hubs after i get the engine/trans mounting sorted out so I can measure for it.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:47 AM
Launching!

any updates on this?
Old 02-09-2013, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

It is fairly tight, but not too bad. I'm in Portland, Oregon. You'll see it on youtube as soon as it's running. I'll be posting links.

Funkster: I ended up parting out everything Toyota specific (mechanically and electronically speaking) to folks on the MR2 boards. I was motivated to clear it all out!
I travel to portland every so often.. I'd love to see this beast in action!!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by zeekracing
any updates on this?
Sadly, all I've done with this project in the last few years is swap on wider wheels & rubber because I ran across a great deal on the wheels. 18 x 8.5 & 18 x 9.5 w/ 255/35/18 & 295/35/18 Dunlop Direzza Star Specs. I've been busy with my kids, my auto body school (decided to learn how to spray & stop paying somebody else thousands), other people's projects ($), & life in general. That & I haven't putup a building (lift) yet. I'm about to say f*ckit & install a lift in my garage. My MR2 is fairly short in height & I'd have at least 4' of clearance under it to stop ignoring her. The timing is good, too. With my classes comes access to a TIG. Once I throw together the new rear subframe & suspension (mounting) out of the square steel tubing I have laying around, I can take it to school & make a jig to start crafting the beautiful aluminum subframe I'm envisioning. And of course after I learn how to use the damn thing. I've only used MIG at this point & haven't touched TIG before. Should be fun! I won't get very far until the engine & transaxle are securely mounted! Then I can get this project done!

Quick Reply: Ls4 mr2