LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Ls4 mr2

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ls4 mr2

I just wanted to say thanks for all of the great info and occasional laughs that I've found here in this forum. I've been reading through alot of threads on here since earlier this year to research for my project, and then finally signed up so I could ask about an adapter for my throttle body (If anyone wants to share their thoughts on my build, I'd welcome any ideas & constructive criticism). The majority of folks on here (LS4 section) seem fairly helpful to one another concerning mods & such. I'm in the midst of installing an LS4/4T65-E from an '06 Impala SS into my '91 MR2. It fits great so far. I found a place that will take my SS & MR2 axles, and using my measurements will make some custom axles out of the parts for only $135. I talked briefly with someone at HP tuners as well as a guy at Cartuning about my project and I'm even more excited to get this moving. Based on what I've read here, I picked up an LQ4 intake w/TB and rails/injectors. At first I was going to re-pin the TB connector, but it seems that simply using an adapter for my LS4 TB would be a better idea. The new intake manifold is BIG, but I still have no clearance issues. I'm thinking of making an adapter out of steel. Any thoughts on that? I'm thinking of at least doing that to get it running, and get one of the adapters I saw around here later. I'm planning on getting a shift kit for the trans, but I've read that some folks have concerns with doing that in combination with using an HP tune on the TCM. Anybody have any solid info on this? Well, that's enough ?'s for now. I'm curious to see how this project will be received here. Most of the people in the MR2 circles prefer their boosted 4 cylinders, a few like their V-6 swaps, and fewer have endeavored to try a V-8. I've been wanting to do a V-8 in one of these for years and have now found the ideal setup. There's a guy that posts here that is running an LS4 in his Fiero, and he has seen 12.9 1/4 times with light mods and an HP tune. I know my car won't be liked by the majority, but it'll have to be respected. That's all that matters, right? To all who may end up offering advice, be it good or critical, thanks in advance. To any who want to hate, I'll be ready to run soon.....
The following users liked this post:
Jr Alejandro (02-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're a small community here, we do what we can to further ourselves.

Good luck with the build, it should be a BEAST!

EDIT: As far as the TB, I have no clue, I'm just a lurker...
Old 08-27-2010, 04:19 PM
12 Second Club

From a former SW20 owner and a current F-Body owner...

Sounds ******* sick, I would love to see this done.

Last I knew Bill Armstrong had a Northstar in an 89 I believe. I have always wondered about an LS series block.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JP_GXP
Good luck with the build, it should be a BEAST!
Thanks! It will be! The car has already been modified a bit, so it'll handle the power just fine. It's also going to end up only 150lbs or so heavier than when it had the turbo 4 in there.

Here's a couple of pictures:

Before I swapped the intake
Name:  DSCN0796.jpg
Views: 7768
Size:  203.0 KB

My MR2
Name:  IMG_0769.jpg
Views: 4157
Size:  118.5 KB

Unsatisfactory powerplant
Name:  IMG_0771.jpg
Views: 6048
Size:  135.0 KB

I can't wait to roll....Then boost it into the low 11's, maybe 10's
Old 08-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Funkster
From a former SW20 owner and a current F-Body owner...

Sounds ******* sick, I would love to see this done.

Last I knew Bill Armstrong had a Northstar in an 89 I believe. I have always wondered about an LS series block.
Yeah, he has commented on my build thread on his forum. He seems pretty cool. He gave me a bit of food for thought. You're right, this will be sick. Now I just have to get some MR2 ABS equipment to haul this thing back down from triple digits without buying new tires every week (front ones, anyways). I'll be sure to plaster vids/pics of the (finished?) car as soon as it's driving.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Banned

Looks good and tight in there.

Any idea of an ETA?

Anywhere close to Louisiana??? I wanna see that thing in action when it's done.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlueBlur
Yeah, he has commented on my build thread on his forum. He seems pretty cool. He gave me a bit of food for thought. You're right, this will be sick. Now I just have to get some MR2 ABS equipment to haul this thing back down from triple digits without buying new tires every week (front ones, anyways). I'll be sure to plaster vids/pics of the (finished?) car as soon as it's driving.
What did you end up doing with the GTE?
Old 08-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Teching In

Any idea of an ETA?

It is fairly tight, but not too bad. I'm in Portland, Oregon. You'll see it on youtube as soon as it's running. I'll be posting links.

Funkster: I ended up parting out everything Toyota specific (mechanically and electronically speaking) to folks on the MR2 boards. I was motivated to clear it all out!
Old 08-27-2010, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

It is fairly tight, but not too bad. I'm in Portland, Oregon. You'll see it on youtube as soon as it's running. I'll be posting links.

Funkster: I ended up parting out everything Toyota specific (mechanically and electronically speaking) to folks on the MR2 boards. I was motivated to clear it all out!
I bet.

I still have a black hardtop headliner I am trying to get rid of.

I can't bring myself to throw it away.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:07 AM
TECH Addict

is the MR2 a rear engine? awesome build tho!!!!
Old 08-28-2010, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any idea of an ETA?

what car isnt that engine tight in lol
Old 08-28-2010, 11:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Good luck with the build and keep us up to date on your progress.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp
is the MR2 a rear engine? awesome build tho!!!!
I think the "MR" in MR2 means Mid-ship engine, Rear wheel drive. At least that what I've thought since I was little.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Teching In

I think the "MR" in MR2 means Mid-ship engine, Rear wheel drive. At least that what I've thought since I was little.
It means "M"idship "R"unabout "2" seater. Weird, huh? I've had a friend suggest it's now a Toyolet For laughs I started to come up with a few of my own: General Yota (it would need to be green), GMR2, or MR8. All I know is it'll be fast, so it'll likely have my forum name. It's why I made it up in the first place. Even with the turbo 4, it was fast. The engine was built (25k in it), and whooped on a few cars before I got tired of only having any real power while in boost. I'm thinking of buying another LS4, and another 4T65-E to build up for BIG numbers. That way I can enjoy the first setup after using it to engineer the install, then swap in the others when I'm ready to really fly. I'm planning on boosting the first setup just enough to have some fun, maybe with a shop fabbed STS style turbo system. Should see 11's with light boost. Plenty fast for now and probably on the edge of what the stock trans can take, even with a lighter car. We'll see. For now I'm just focused on the major parts of the install. I'll definitely post about any progress I make.

Thanks Mels SS, and 94SS06GXP. I'm shooting for a scorcher with this. After it's fully done, I doubt it'll be very street friendly
Old 08-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Banned

Good to know. Btw, I like GMR2.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Man this lil beast is gonna surprise everyone,gotta tell my older bro about this for his MR2
Old 08-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT
Man this lil beast is gonna surprise everyone,gotta tell my older bro about this for his MR2
I'm counting on it. This monster will be fun, with the look on the faces of the owned a great bonus!
Old 08-28-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Why an LQ4 intake? An LS1/LS6 should flow much better.

BTW, sweet project! I love it!
Old 08-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
Why an LQ4 intake? An LS1/LS6 should flow much better.

BTW, sweet project! I love it!
Thanks! I read that the LQ4 intake flows similar #'s to the LS6 intake. We'll find out. It was only $89 shipped, so if it does flow good it'll end up being a great steal.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm counting on it. This monster will be fun, with the look on the faces of the owned a great bonus!
I could only imagine the looks on peoples faces ,when you start it up..."What do you got in there a V8",LOL

Quick Reply: Ls4 mr2