LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Another Rant

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3.8redbird
all ill say is correctly built. Locally we have 2 in the 10s and 1 in the 9s. BOTH completely stock longblock
gutting and suspension perfectly dialed in go a LONG way. One is a paxton one is a decent shot that goes through a motor every 2-3 months from blowing them. Point being they still run the time.
Um you mention properly built in one post and then tell me aforementioned 2v is going through motors every 2-3 months just to run a magic one time pass only to go back to the drawing boards?

Wow. My car is the farthest thing from a race car. I am content having a slow car at the cost of keeping the motor in one piece. I think all the LS4 owners posting in here understand that. We are just the little guy that you pull up next to in your Camaro/Trans Am/GTO/Mustang that hang with you for a second and make you say "****, what was that?" Nothing more, nothing less.

I know with my turd gen and my 71 monte I would be more content with an 11 second pass compared to a 9 second pass and another motor in two months. The fact that 2v guys you speak of that are "properly built" running 9s and 10s are blowing motors every 3 months negates the fact that their are properly built cars that run good times. Or it just means they're mustangs

Originally Posted by 1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT
Is that Lee your talkin about,if so his T/A was sick lookin...
No, Lee's car started as a V6 car and he swapped the LS1 for some power. And yes, it is pretty sweet.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
Um you mention properly built in one post and then tell me aforementioned 2v is going through motors every 2-3 months just to run a magic one time pass only to go back to the drawing boards?
Everyone here makes fun of the nitrous 2V. We tell him to just build it for the shot but its just so cheap to replace the motor. The paxton one IS built right. He has been running high 9s-low 10s for 4 years now. Same longblock. He goes through tires more than anything.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:14 PM
TECH Regular

I always enjoy reading these threads because there are so many different opinions. I don't know why F-Body guys aren't giving you any respect though. It's not like they're running a classic, custom, or muscle car. The only reason to go to a late model meet is to talk about engine mods and hang out with other gear heads. I'm not knocking late model F-Bodies, because you can go really fast, keep things cheap and streetable, and they are definately fun to drive, but I will walk right on past them at almost any car show and look at the literally thousands of other more interesting cars.

And, I've always thought 2v 4.6L engines were kinda pointless. Seriously, those heads are HUGE (like bigger than Rat motor heads huge) and they don't flow like it. There are classic Fords that you can fit a 460 into that don't have room for the tiny 2v 282 (iirc the ci). If I was going to have heads that big on an engine, I'd expect to find another 150-200 cubes underneath them. I'm sure a Mustang guy would go on about push rods, but all that really matters is HP/lbs and HP/mpg, depending on the application.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I guess some people can't enjoy a car if it doesn't run 10 second quarters.

I'll leave the "I live my life a quarter mile at a time" BS to the Fast and Furious crowd. I like drag racing, but it's not my main criteria for a street car.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
My thoughts exactly.

What do I not know?

Yours is clean but lets see it do a donut without trays or ebrake. Family cars. Faster than most family cars is what they resemble
I didn't know the ability to do a donut was a requirement for a vehicle to be considered a performance car.

What do I not know?

FWD. wrongly mounted V8. DOD. heavy.

If I were to get a FWD car I would get a turbo I4. At least then you can manage the boost to keep traction since it has a lack of tq.

ANY FWD car is not a good platform for drag racing when compared to RWD or AWD.

mod for mod the other RWD v8 should pull you.

They are nice DD. Just dont see the point in trying to make one a drag car or any race car for that matter.
Wow redbird3.8, first you come into the LS4 Front Drives section and bash the cars of every person here, then you start to defend 2v mod motors against ls4. I honestly can't tell if you're trolling or just misguided.

Even though I drive an Fbody I want you LS4 guys to know I admire what you are doing with your cars, particularly considering the lack of aftermarket support. Keep up the good work.

Those people who turn you away or sneer at you when you tell them what you drive aren't real car guys and simply don't have the ability to recognize a well crafted vehicle when they see one. IMO modding is merit based in that credit should be given considering what an owner started with and how far his vehicle deviates from stock performance.

As a person who also mods FWD, mainly MK5 Volkswagens I kinda know where you guys are coming from with this. In the MK5 GTI crowd we're not JDM but the BMW, Benz and other high dollar exotic euro crowd don't see us as one of their own either, we're kinda in-between.

BTW: Mel that thing is gorgeous. Keep up the good work.

Last edited by RedVertTA; 08-31-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RedVertTA
Even though I drive an Fbody I want you LS4 guys to know I admire what you are doing with your cars, particularly considering the lack of aftermarket support. Keep up the good work.

Those people who turn you away or sneer at you when you tell them what you drive aren't real car guys and simply don't have the ability to recognize a well crafted vehicle when they see one. IMO modding is merit based in that credit should be given considering what an owner started with and how far his vehicle deviates from stock performance.
I'm glad someone else gets it.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks a lot. My opinion is everyone love's there car we don't need to bash one another
for what we drive show or race this is our hobby Cars!!!
Old 08-31-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mels SS
Thanks a lot. My opinion is everyone love's there car we don't need to bash one another
for what we drive show or race this is our hobby Cars!!!
Yep, just because it's not *your* style doesn't mean it's not theirs. Everyone should be able to appreciate the blood, sweat, and tears put into any ride.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

The truth is I love ls1 fbodies, and will drive one in the near future...but its no ferrari. It's a ten year old car that rattles, shakes, squeaks, and breaks down with the best of them. If a guy with a $10k car wants to scoff at me or isn't interested in my car, then so be it. I'm not sweating it.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Amen!!
Old 09-01-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
Yep, just because it's not *your* style doesn't mean it's not theirs. Everyone should be able to appreciate the blood, sweat, and tears put into any ride.
agree 100%
Old 09-01-2010, 07:44 AM
TECH Addict

why is 3.8 redbird even in here?
Old 09-01-2010, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp
why is 3.8 redbird even in here?
He probably talked to much **** in the G8 forum and got his *** kicked. I guess he figured he'd have an easier time with us "FWD pussies".
Old 09-01-2010, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
Originally Posted by blakss
agree 100%
x2.

I've been at plenty of shows where I come across a car that is not my style, but you could tell that a lot of time and effort was put into doing the project right. In those cases, you compliment the owner on a clean finished ride and leave it at that.

The main thing to remember is that anybody who would trash your car just because it's a particluar make, model, year, or drivetrain configuration isn't worth listening to. Just look them right in the eye and say, "If you hate it so much, get the **** away from it." The only cars I ignore or bad-mouth are the ones that have been put together by somebody who had absolutely no clue what they were doing and/or have sloppy fit and finish.

When I lived in Pennsylvania, I was a member of a cruiser club that accepted all years, makes, and models and the LS4 got quite a bit of respect from the other members; the president with a '40 Chevy street rod also has a 2006 Implala SS for his DD. Last year, my GXP was chosen to lead the group of cars we had in Philadelphia's "Welcome America" 4th of July parade.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you dont like our car dont bash it just walk away and dont say anything
Old 09-02-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hawkins04
if you dont like our car dont bash it just walk away and dont say anything
Two things.

1. Well said. I agree completely.
2. Thank you for knowing the difference between the word "our" and "are."
It's amazing how many people post stuff like, "We took are car to the track, but I didn't run very well since the parking break is hanging."