LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

LED light conversion and flasher fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED light conversion and flasher fix

Hey all. Been reading up on whats needed to change over my 06 GP from halogen bulbs to LED turn signals and markers.

Couldn't find anything in the manual about a flasher relay and what I have been seeing on here is that the MCSS's don't have a flasher unit, but its controled by the computer.

So a few questions:

1. Do the GP GXP's have a turn signal flasher?
2. If not, what size resitor is needed to restore normal flashing?
3. For those who have done a conversion and needed resistors, any writeups?

This is the only thing holding me back from being completely LED'd and HID'd out.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

Sorry I can't help but I'm interested in doing this.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:43 AM
TECH Regular

I did a write up here for my Monte carlo, if that helps. I don't know if the wiring will be different colors on your GP. The rear of the monte you had to splice into the white and black wires. The front turn signal was yellow and white, I believe

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...ail-bulbs.html

Couple things I learned
1. You will need 4, 50watt 6ohm resistors, 1 ohm resistor for each turn signal bulb. On the Vleds website they say you only need 1 of their resistors for each side and it will fix the rapid flash. I tried it and it didn't work. Plus you want to mount the load resistors somewhere away from wires because they get very very hot.

2. Don't buy the cheap led's off ebay because the low high output difference isn't that much. I got some from vleds and they work great.

Other than that it is pretty easy. Just splice them in, there is gel in the splicers but you probably still want to put electrical tape around them to make it water proof. Don't know about a flasher relay didn't go that route and I don't know if you need something else to take care of the bulb out warnings you might get on your DIC. I didn't have to worry about that because my car doesn't have that
Old 09-07-2010, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

I was actually looking at switchbacks for the front.
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/T...46227-1-2.html
Old 09-07-2010, 08:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CalamitySS
I was actually looking at switchbacks for the front.
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/T...46227-1-2.html
I tried those but they didnt work right. The white is supposed to shut off when you turn on the trun signal but it would do what it is doing in this link

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....d=205344659982

Vleds tech support said they had some other people with similar problems only with GM vehicles but they couldn't recreate the problem on their bench and couldnt fix it. I ended up returning them. You might have the same problem.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jabronie78
I did a write up here for my Monte carlo, if that helps. I don't know if the wiring will be different colors on your GP. The rear of the monte you had to splice into the white and black wires. The front turn signal was yellow and white, I believe

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front...ail-bulbs.html

Couple things I learned
1. You will need 4, 50watt 6ohm resistors, 1 ohm resistor for each turn signal bulb. On the Vleds website they say you only need 1 of their resistors for each side and it will fix the rapid flash. I tried it and it didn't work. Plus you want to mount the load resistors somewhere away from wires because they get very very hot.

2. Don't buy the cheap led's off ebay because the low high output difference isn't that much. I got some from vleds and they work great.

Other than that it is pretty easy. Just splice them in, there is gel in the splicers but you probably still want to put electrical tape around them to make it water proof. Don't know about a flasher relay didn't go that route and I don't know if you need something else to take care of the bulb out warnings you might get on your DIC. I didn't have to worry about that because my car doesn't have that
I did see your write up and read through it more than a couple of times. Since the car is still under warranty, I don't want to give GM ANY reason to deny any future claims. Im trying my hardest not to go the resistor route but unless someone can show that the GP GXP's have a relay, I am going to have to go that route.

Now does anyone know that if you install say a set of LED's in the brake / turn signal lights and keep halogens up front will the voltage difference trigger hyperflash?

To be honest, I'm a Ford man who is playing for the other side now and there is almost no knowledge that I have for fords that I can apply to GM's
Old 09-08-2010, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jabronie78
I tried those but they didnt work right. The white is supposed to shut off when you turn on the trun signal but it would do what it is doing in this link

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....d=205344659982

Vleds tech support said they had some other people with similar problems only with GM vehicles but they couldn't recreate the problem on their bench and couldnt fix it. I ended up returning them. You might have the same problem.
Ok thanks for the heads up. I won't be buying em. Why does GM make things so difficult?
To the OP I hope you can find the answer's somewhere. I have had no luck either.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CalamitySS
Ok thanks for the heads up. I won't be buying em. Why does GM make things so difficult?
To the OP I hope you can find the answer's somewhere. I have had no luck either.
Unfortunatly I have found the answer and while we do have a relay, it is buried deep in the dashboard and is in the Body Control Unit (BCU) which controls a number of other items. This according to alldata.

So looks like I have to either wire in resistors or get used to the way the car looks without LED's.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Regular

The resistors aren't that big of a deal. Those gel packs they come with don't cut the wire all the way. If you every have to take them off you can just put electrical tape around the wire and you will never be able to tell anything was on there.

You have to worry about the bulb out indicators though. I dont' know if you are going to do led's for all your bulbs. You would have to get one for each bulb which would be a bitch.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Jabronie - ya i was looking to do LED's on all 4 corners which is why im a little hesitant. I've done plenty of wiring on my other 3 cars so im not worried about screwing anything up.

Quick Reply: LED light conversion and flasher fix