LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

GXP vs G8 GT

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp
pretty much its whether you want FWD or RWD.
This is actually the most contentious point for me. I've only owned my GP GXP for about four months now. Of course, in central Iowa during the summer, I don't have problems with traction (beyond the lack of it when launching!). The winter is of course a different subject. I could only justify the additional cost of it if it got around fine in the snow. If not, I'd take that extra $10K and buy a mid-80's K1500 that I could tune without a computer (or a snowmobile for that matter) and be guaranteed that I could get where I wanted to when we are otherwise snowed in.

So, does anyone have any opinions on how it gets around in the snow, especially as compared to the Grand Prix?

-Adrian
Old 09-21-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's all a personal choice, but I wouldn't buy an LS4 car again. I know my Impala is different from a GXP in the details, but it's still the same basic car.

On the plus side:

1. Comfort. Plenty of room to stretch out (at least in the Impala) and a huge trunk for all the **** you could possibly want to carry.

2. Performance. This is a nice performing front driver that will move out when you punch it.

3. Highway Fuel economy when driven sanely. If you keep your foot out of it, ithe car will deliver great mileage. We just got back from Vegas where saw about 28 MPG for the 700-mile roundtrip. We once saw 30.1 from LA to PHX.

4. Uniqueness. There just aren't that many LS4-powered cars, so you will have a somewhat exclusive ride.

On the minus side:

1. Be ready to put a transmission in it. These cars are ticking timebombs when it comes to transmission failure. If you buy one, be sure to get a warranty, whether its a GM Certified Used car or an aftermarket warranty. Otherwise, you're likely to wind up paying for a replacement trans.

2. Crappy city mileage. If you drive a lot in town, your mileage will suck. A lot of people on this board see MPGs in the low teens in town.

3. Lack of mods. While there are mods available now than ever before, they're relatively few compared to the G8 and other GM peformance iron. The stuff that is available tends to be on the pricey side, too.

4. Performance. I know...I used this as a plus above, but if you REALLY want to go fast, a large FWD platform shouldn't be your first choice. While these cars are quick out of the box, it takes a lot to get them even into the 12's.

5. Rental car stigma: As I said on the "plus" section, the LS4 cars are relatively unique. However, they're still basically high-end trim-levels of cars that have been dumped into rental fleets by the 100's of thousands over the past decade. To the untrained eye, a GXP or Impala/Monte SS differs little from a rental-grade LS or GT model. There plenty of visual mods to change that, but our cars are generally plain to look at...Except for Mel's Monte Carlo SS, of course!!

This is just my .02, so don't flame me for the opinion!

Last edited by LS1 Racing; 09-21-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^can not get any better than that nice job LS1 Racing
Old 09-21-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Hawkins04
^^can not get any better than that nice job LS1 Racing
Thanks, bro!
Old 09-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Banned

My car is FAR from plain.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JP_GXP
My car is FAR from plain.
Like I said, many of us have done visual mods to make our cars standout. But a completely stock SS or GXP doesn't look a whole lot different than the lesser trim levels...At least to the uninitiated!
Old 09-21-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Great info and advice! Thanks.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:31 PM

Default Little Late

I know this is late but I since I have owned a GP GXP, G6 GXP, and now a G8 GT I feel like I can help anyone who may be thinking about this subject. The GP is awesome because you get HUD, and the design of the interior is all towards the driver even the radio (though its not needed, the steering wheel is designed to put everything at your fingertips). The inside is nice, not great, about the same with the G6. You get a stout 4 speed in the in GP that is easy to paddle shift and a 6 speed in the G6 that takes more time to understand but about the same straight line speed. GP 5.7 G6 6.0 but there is a huge difference is handling for the GP but its still front wheel drive, and if you don't get an alignment the GP right after you buy it you're going to shred tires. You get better mpg in the GP but only 2-4 mpg at best over the G8. They fight each other The G6 GXP is more like a STD on the

The G8 is tremendous, no HUD though :=(. Powerful, good handling with a strong transmission and you don't have to shift out of 1st till about 60mph. The interior is amazing, mine is 6 years old and leather still looks good, plenty of room to sit 4 adults if you want to and the tires are the same size so you can rotate them. The steering wheel buttons are confusing at first and the all the windows are center located euro design, the sun room concept is different but nice, and the side mirrors are smaller.

So if you have the choice get a G8 its just flat out more fun!!
Old 01-16-2015, 04:04 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought my GP GXP a little over 2 years ago I considered G8's as well. Finding a similar condition and mileage G8 was over double the $$$. I ended up getting my GXP for a little under $11k. The cheapest G8 I found that I would have considered was $22k and it had 15k more miles. Most of the G8's were mid 20's. For a DD I just wasn't willing to spend that much more.

I really liked the G8's, just not that much.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

def like the gp gxp interior better than the g8 esp with the hud and cooler gauge cluster, as far as performance g8 gxp is the king of gm 4 doors (besides cts-v)

Quick Reply: GXP vs G8 GT