LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

First road trip in the GXP

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First road trip in the GXP

Just thought I'd share some details of my first long road trip in the GXP. I left for the Outer Banks (Avon), NC from Cleveland early morning on 9/12 and returned on 9/19. Total distance (including driving while down there) was about 1550 miles round trip. Trip down took about 12 hours, and coming home was right at 12. The car was loaded down with myself and my wife, and a trunk and back seat's worth of luggage. The tranny fluid temp never got over about 190 and i came out averaging 24.2 mpg for the trip. This was my first trip in this car and i thouroughly enjoyed it. Very comfortable, easy to drive, and enough power for those crazy short merge ramps in Virginia.

Overall, a great trip to my favorite place in the country.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lspuck
Just thought I'd share some details of my first long road trip in the GXP. I left for the Outer Banks (Avon), NC from Cleveland early morning on 9/12 and returned on 9/19. Total distance (including driving while down there) was about 1550 miles round trip. Trip down took about 12 hours, and coming home was right at 12. The car was loaded down with myself and my wife, and a trunk and back seat's worth of luggage. The tranny fluid temp never got over about 190 and i came out averaging 24.2 mpg for the trip. This was my first trip in this car and i thouroughly enjoyed it. Very comfortable, easy to drive, and enough power for those crazy short merge ramps in Virginia.

Overall, a great trip to my favorite place in the country.
Not bad.

Is that 24.2 in the DIC or by calcuation? I ask because the DIC is usually 1-2 MPG high.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Banned

Nice.

My DIC is within .1-.2 mpg... Maybe the SSes' are different.

On the way home from my tune, I averaged 27.5 going 74-75, DoD removed.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

its for sure a comfortable car to travel in
Old 09-22-2010, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Love road trips in this car, your mileage for cruising on the hwy seems a little low, but maybe that's because of the hills.

On my trips BEFORE my tune from Ohio to Chicago: I consistently got 27-28 mpg HWY (72-73 mph)

After my tune (dod still enabled): 30-31 mpg (72-73 mph)

The roads are flat though. If I bump it up to 75-77 mph I'll get like 26-27 now. This thing is a freeway beast.

Last edited by cacicgtp7; 09-22-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think that was average for the whole trip. That is good to hear they get good hwy mpg cause I am drive back to PA tonight.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

That mileage is manually calculated, I kept very close track of how much i added at each fuel up and calculated it when i filled up heading to work the next day. The DIC was saying 24.6, so really not too far off.

It is a little lower than i would have liked, but the hills deffinitely had something to do with it. Not many steep mountains on the route, but a lot of long rolling hills with 2 or 3 mile climbs. That combined with the cruise set at 75 the whole time (80 in the couple 70mph zones through) and i'll take it.

I've deffinitely seen it higher though on my shorter flat trips (Cleveland to Toledo, Columbus) but this was the first long one, so i'll take the 24+
Old 09-23-2010, 01:06 PM
Teching In

I was interested to hear how the mileage was calculated, though I guessed it was probably manual.

Last week I took our GXP to Kansas City and back, which ended up being about a 375 mile trip. I stayed about a mile behind a HEMI Charger who was running about 83 mph with my radar detector, and maintained that most of the way. I still pulled that off with one tank, giving me 23.8 when I filled back up.

I also took a trip out to the Black Hills in it, and it was about 1,600 miles round trip and managed a similar 24.8 mpg all together. And that was with me "enjoying" the mountain roads!

I agree, comfortable, roomy, XM is great for cross-country, and enough power to make me happy for such a trip.

-Adrian
Old 09-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

Agreed, much more comfortable that previous cars i've made that trip in. And i'm sure the mileage would have been a little better if i was able to park it and leave it while down there, but there was a good 150 miles of random driving to stores and sights while we were there too.

On a side note, i'm glad i installed the ipod/phone jack a while back...pandora set on the comedy station is a great way to pass time
Old 09-23-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by adryan16
I was interested to hear how the mileage was calculated, though I guessed it was probably manual.

Last week I took our GXP to Kansas City and back, which ended up being about a 375 mile trip. I stayed about a mile behind a HEMI Charger who was running about 83 mph with my radar detector, and maintained that most of the way. I still pulled that off with one tank, giving me 23.8 when I filled back up.

I also took a trip out to the Black Hills in it, and it was about 1,600 miles round trip and managed a similar 24.8 mpg all together. And that was with me "enjoying" the mountain roads!

I agree, comfortable, roomy, XM is great for cross-country, and enough power to make me happy for such a trip.

-Adrian
Agreed on the XM. My GM PAL (official iPod interface) is an added bonus as well. I just wish I had the 04-05 vertical lumbar support.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GXP25
Agreed on the XM. My GM PAL (official iPod interface) is an added bonus as well. I just wish I had the 04-05 vertical lumbar support.
I'm not sure about the lumbar support on those years, but occasionally, my back does feel it after a long ride. I'm not sure if I should blame that on the car, or me being out of shape though.

I'm curious on the GM PAL. I think I've read about it on the forum before, but I'm wondering if you have any more specifics on it. Though I like the XM, we're still on our GM Certified 3-month trial, and 90% of our driving is in town, or at least within the coverage of our local radio stations. I'm not sure I want to pay $150/yr for something that I would use limitedly, so hooking up my iPhone seems to be a good compromise.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by adryan16
I'm not sure about the lumbar support on those years, but occasionally, my back does feel it after a long ride. I'm not sure if I should blame that on the car, or me being out of shape though.

I'm curious on the GM PAL. I think I've read about it on the forum before, but I'm wondering if you have any more specifics on it. Though I like the XM, we're still on our GM Certified 3-month trial, and 90% of our driving is in town, or at least within the coverage of our local radio stations. I'm not sure I want to pay $150/yr for something that I would use limitedly, so hooking up my iPhone seems to be a good compromise.

I'm not sure about the lumbar either, but the 06 has basic lumbar adjustment and that seems to work fine for me.

I was curious about the GM PAL as well, but couldn't afford it at the time. I'm using the Isimple Transit which was about $80 if i recall. It is a FM transmitter, however it plugs directly into the antenna port as opposed to being wireless, so the static and reception issues of a normal transmitter are not an issue. I would recommend this product for anyone looking for a good solution, but doesn't want to open the wallet for the PAL
Old 09-24-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

04-05 Grand Prixs have 4-way (in/out/up/down) power lumbar. 06-08 have 2-way (in/out) power lumbar.

This was the first thing I noticed when trading up from my 04 GT2.

As for the PAL, it works just fine. Though it is made for the C6 Corvette. There is a NAV and non-NAV version. The only reason it works is because we share the same NAV.

After Mediatronics (the company who makes the PAL for GM) is done with finalizing any issues with the non-NAV C6 radios, they'll be moving onto other Class II vehicles (Grand Prixs, TrailVoys, etc.).

The NAV version costs $180 shipped.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

I remember my first road trip in my MCSS, I bent a rim on a newly paved road! You know how sometimes they are not done finishing a road and sometimes they leave a lip? Well I hit it going about 50mph and bent a rim! It sucked and I had to buy a new one, cost me $700!