LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

flush or filter and gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by itchy
I have the same problems (transmission slipping 1500-1700 rpms and a dealer that told me "car runs perfect, couldn't find anything wrong with it)

100K, 2nd transmission ... probably going to need a 3rd soon. fun fun fun.
That could be the converter mine is really loose my care really doesnt move till about 2 grand
Old 12-28-2010, 08:08 AM
12 Second Club

The problem with a filter and fluid change is that you'll only drain about 3-4 quarts of dirty oil. Pulling the second cover will drain another qt. Thus why I recommend installing a shift kit at this time. I bought a case of fluid and added about 4qts before start up. Once its running crack open the return line and let the fluid shoot out into a deep pan while somebody else keeps pouring fluid down threw the dipstick tube once the fluid shoots out clean shut the engine off and really install the return line. Top off the trans and be done. That is how I flush. Get a transfer cooler auxiliary trans cooler. It will make the job much easier and flush every 25-30k if your not using a auxiliary cooler. 40-50k if you are. Expensive job but its worth it
Old 12-28-2010, 08:12 AM
12 Second Club

Install a drain plug while the pan is off too. A magnetic plug wouldn't be a bad idea. It would compliment the GM installend magnetic strips
Old 12-29-2010, 01:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
The problem with a filter and fluid change is that you'll only drain about 3-4 quarts of dirty oil. Pulling the second cover will drain another qt. Thus why I recommend installing a shift kit at this time. I bought a case of fluid and added about 4qts before start up. Once its running crack open the return line and let the fluid shoot out into a deep pan while somebody else keeps pouring fluid down threw the dipstick tube once the fluid shoots out clean shut the engine off and really install the return line. Top off the trans and be done. That is how I flush. Get a transfer cooler auxiliary trans cooler. It will make the job much easier and flush every 25-30k if your not using a auxiliary cooler. 40-50k if you are. Expensive job but its worth it
my dad said they did it this way thirty years ago it will probally be what happens
Old 03-14-2011, 11:12 PM
Staging Lane

i know this is an old thread but im in the need of fluid being changed dealer suggests that I get the tranny fluid flush should I do this or go to a different shop that says they will drop pan and gasket thing and change fluid for $250 please help really need it right now
Old 03-15-2011, 07:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

have them drop the pan and change the fluid most people on here will tell you that , its what i ended up doing
Old 03-15-2011, 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks alot i am about to go drop it off right now to be first