LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

87 Octane Tune: Mission Accomplished!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
on the newer vehicles, "knock retard" would show the max allowable retard setting for a particular area...

"total knock spark retard" shows you the actual retard value of how much timing is actually getting pulled at that point of KR...

so... I want to see what is actually happening and the actual amount of timing being pulled at the point of KR... don't care what the max is that it would allow...

and yeah, don't really need to see burst knock.. that won't tell ya anything about actual/real knock happening...

yep, I know all about that man... have done this a few times before

and I'm not advancing it anyway... I'm looking for any areas where it may need to be reduced, if he's getting excessive KR (more than 2*) anywhere when using the 87 octane gas...

No no, I didn't say you were advancing the timing, I said over advanced. Meaning the timing table is setup for premium, now your running regular. You've now changed the MBT requirements globally for your entire table, so.....pulling timing based on KR is just chasing your tail IMO. Keep in mind I'm not posting this to be a dick, know-it-all, or a "cyber punk", I'm just trying to help and I mean no disrespect. I realize your experienced but so am I.

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
Update on our progress:

We're on the second iteration of the 87 octane tune, and we're fighting our way through some heavy KR issues at crusing speeds under moderate load (up hills and stuff). There was a huge improvement from the first tune to the second, but there's still some pretty ugly stuff under load.

Lew will probably be taking another stab at this on Sunday, and I'll update again when there's more info.
this is exactly why a global reduction is necessary.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMC5
this is exactly why a global reduction is necessary.
On his second tune, I think he pulled 2 or 3 degrees globally. He did send me iteration #3 this morning, and I'm not sure what he changed in that one.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No no, I didn't say you were advancing the timing, I said over advanced. Meaning the timing table is setup for premium, now your running regular. You've now changed the MBT requirements globally for your entire table, so.....pulling timing based on KR is just chasing your tail IMO. Keep in mind I'm not posting this to be a dick, know-it-all, or a "cyber punk", I'm just trying to help and I mean no disrespect. I realize your experienced but so am I.
aaah, ok... gotcha... yeah, interpreted your post wrong... hehe...

yeah, no worries man, I hear ya... we're all constantly learning...

my point was.. starting with the stock timing table - because these cars can and are supposed to be able to run on 87 octane according to their manuals... so, one would think that the timing table would be setup to be able to run correctly with 87 octane at the bare minimum...

so, if there's a lot of KR happening with the stock timing table, then it needs to be reduced even more - so that it's actually less timing than what's stock...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 01-30-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, they can run lower octane but I'm pretty sure the computer has to sense a certain amount of knock before it reverts to the low octane tables. Maybe someone can correct me on this. However, this method doesn't sit well with me. Good luck guys, I'm sure it will work out great, keep us posted on your mileage and power.

Actually, comparing the high/ low octane tables there isn't a whole lot of difference between the two. Looks like the higher the load the more timing is pulled. Have you thought about just flashing the low octane table in as the high octane table.......?

Last edited by JDMC5; 01-30-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:48 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Actually, comparing the high/ low octane tables there isn't a whole lot of difference between the two. Looks like the higher the load the more timing is pulled. Have you thought about just flashing the low octane table in as the high octane table.......?
not yet... but depending on how his next logs look, that may be the next step....

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 01-31-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

The latest tune seems to be huge improvement. I'll be doing a log on my drive home tonight to confirm, but it seems like the knock is now limited to the 1500-1700 RPM range, while the converter is locked. Since we drive on the highway with the cruise control all the time, we'll see a scenario in which we're cruising at 55-65 MPH, and when we run into a slight hill, the KR will shoot up to about 5 and fluctuate until either the hill is passed, or it becomes steep to unlock the converter.

Of course, this was this morning in 45 degree ambient temps, and I'll know more when I drive it home this afternoon in warmer weather.

Update!

Looks like we got it locked in. Lew managed to tune out 90% of the KR, and what's left is minor and easily avoided. Performance still feels a little better than stock, and there seems to be no loss of MPG.

I'll probably run this until the weather gets warm and/or on long trips.

If you have an 06 and are tuned with a Predator and have a DiabLew tune, you might want to hit Lew up for this and try it out on your own.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Congrats.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

That's awesome. If I could only afford to buy myself a Predator...
Old 02-21-2011, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

I think I am going to have Lew work me up 2 tunes.... one for Daily Driving with 87, and one for all out drag racing 93+ octane...

LS1 racing, how is the tune working out for ya now, did you see an increase in MPG's??
Old 02-21-2011, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MC06SS
I think I am going to have Lew work me up 2 tunes.... one for Daily Driving with 87, and one for all out drag racing 93+ octane...

LS1 racing, how is the tune working out for ya now, did you see an increase in MPG's??
Tune is working out well. I didn't lose any MPG, so I'm happy about that. It's down on power compared to Lew's 91 Octane tune, but it's still quicker than stock.

With gas on the way up again, and the spread between 87 and 91 currently about 28 cents per gallon in my area, this is a no-brainer.

Last edited by LS1 Racing; 02-22-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just got done doing the same thing for my cousin's G8GT. Worked out nicely. He says to me, "I might have you take my tune out so don't have to run premium." I'm like ".......this sounds familiar".
Old 02-22-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

I just got done doing the same thing for my cousin's G8GT. Worked out nicely. He says to me, "I might have you take my tune out so don't have to run premium." I'm like ".......this sounds familiar".
If this stuff in the Middle East continues, I think you'll be seeing a lot more requests for low-octane tunes.

Who knows how high gas can go!
Old 02-22-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

that's why I'm converting my car to E85.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

that's why I'm converting my car to E85.
I wish we had that more available in SoCal. Unfortunately, I think we have 3 stations in the LA area, the closest being about 110 miles from my house!
Old 02-22-2011, 08:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

don't have any of that corn syrup at all around here in CT....

wouldn't use it anyway, heh... you actually get less mpg with it... no benefit from it in my opinion...

Old 02-22-2011, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

We ran E85 in my wife's Tahoe ONCE... (5.3L Flex) The thing lost about 3 mpg and turned into a real DOG... It took about 2 tanks to get it straightened out again... DON'T DO IT!! IMO
Old 02-22-2011, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cornswill is Garbage.
Dont get me started.

And i HOPE gas goes UP.
(I work in the oilfield....)

Old 02-22-2011, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

wouldn't use it anyway, heh... you actually get less mpg with it... no benefit from it in my opinion...
You do get about 30% less MPG in a vehicle that's "flex fuel". If it were designed specifically for E85, the hit would be a lot less.

You can run a lot more timing with E85, due to the higher octane, IIRC.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
You do get about 30% less MPG in a vehicle that's "flex fuel". If it were designed specifically for E85, the hit would be a lot less.

You can run a lot more timing with E85, due to the higher octane, IIRC.
actually you do run 33 percent more fuel, but you don't lose 33% of your mileage. Part throttle timing isn't much different than gas but you can add more at WOT. Either way, I'd rather put my money somewhere else than to the oil companies.

you get less mileage but the reduction in cost makes up for it. The real gain in in WOT hp. You should remember I'm running a non-intercooled blower. The gain in cooling and octane should be very noticeable. FYI, properly tuned NA LS based engines gain about 10hp.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

actually you do run 33 percent more fuel, but you don't lose 33% of your mileage. Part throttle timing isn't much different than gas but you can add more at WOT. Either way, I'd rather put my money somewhere else than to the oil companies.
We had a Flexfuel 07 Tahoe, and tried E85 a couple of times. Each time, our average economy on the tank went from 18 to about 13.5.

But I do agree, better than sending the money to the Arabs.

Quick Reply: 87 Octane Tune: Mission Accomplished!