LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

need some hp tuner help

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default need some hp tuner help

so i have been reading a lot lately on how to adjust fuel trims and im still a little lost (mathematically challenged) i have a lean condition i am wanting to get rid of and i dont want to buy the hp tuner if i dont understand the basics so if you guys could give me some baby steps on adjusting my fuel trims it would be much appreciated ( ill buy u a beer next time you are in town
Old 02-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't drink beer, can you give me a shot?
Old 02-08-2011, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm assuming the lean condition is from your air intake. In a nutshell you adjust your maf curve by the percentage the fuel trim is off. If it's negative that means it's too rich and the computer is pulling fuel. So, you have to reduce the maf. If it's positive you do the opposite. There's a lot more to it but you only gave me one scenerio. Sometimes you have to buy one and get the hands on to really learn.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

Also, if you are putting E10 in your tank (here in the midwest the stuff is in almost every pump), then you might also want to look at adjusting stoich to 14.1 in your tables. That will also richen things up, and it will keep your spark tables and everything else looking at the right air mass. If you are running 100% gasoline, then disregard and just tune the MAF like Jesse said.

Also, make sure that the MAF is clocked straight up and down, as our MAF sensing element and elbow lead to a system that is really sensitive to MAF clocking.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your thinking of HPtuners. You should get Greg Banish’s book Engine Management: Advanced Tuning.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brian396
If your thinking of HPtuners. You should get Greg Banish’s book Engine Management: Advanced Tuning.
He has two of them, I have both. I would recommend them both.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have both books but i found a deal i couldnt pass up on a dyno tune at wicked hp here in vegas this dude knows his **** we kept the stock knock setting and he perfected my a/f ratio so i have no timing retrding it was pulling 10 degrees the way it was

but in the end we came up with 250hp and 277tq on a stock motor he said he ran a stock 08 cumstang and it only put down 220hp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RSZ9jZ-fhk

Quick Reply: need some hp tuner help