LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

converting a non-tap to tap-shift?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question converting a non-tap to tap-shift?

I want to convert my 06 MonteSS to Tap Shift.
I have the controller and tap "paddles", what else do I need?
Can I just change the controler and do the wire harness changes?
Would I have to change the valve body?
Old 02-11-2011, 05:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Tap Shift valve body is different, so you would need one for this swap.

Also, I'm guessing you would need access to a Tech2 tool to "turn on" the Tap function and let the PCM/BCM know that the Tap hardware is there. This means you would also need to know what settings need to be changed.

Then, of course, there's the installation of the stuff you mentioned.

By the time you get done with all of the costs of this swap, it probably would have made more sense to just buy a GXP in the first place.

But, if money is no object, I would start out with purchasing the wiring diagrams of the car, then let us know how it goes.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steering wheel modification, wiring harnesses,TCM and reprogram the BCM, valve body and plate and pump housing and more. Consol shifter and linkage. The transmission uses alot of the same parts but they also use a lot different parts also. Best to just change it out completely.
You will also loose the ability to manually disable the DOD/AFM in 3rd gear or lower. The cruise control will require re calibration...
Can be done, but with little to no performance gains!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ill_Born_ss
Can be done, but with little to no performance gains!
I have always run my fastest times with the selector in "D."

Tap shift may be fun for screwing around here and there but I maybe use it less than 10 times a year.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

Sorry, I guess I should have said the Monte drive train swapped into a Fiero. The steering wheel is out of an 08 Malibu and the resisters have the same value as the Monte, so it is good to go. The "conversion " will be done by me so the cost is parts only.
I just need to know if this tranny will work with simple component changes. And what will be needed.
Thanks.

BTW I have wanted to swap in an F40 6 speed manual, but have been putting it off for a few years. The auto NEEDS some improvements till I got around to the manual swap
Old 02-11-2011, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

I drove the new Malibu and realy liked the downshifts of that tap shift. They were harder and faster. I also liked that it stayed in gear up to red line and did not shift automatically. It seemed like the tap shift setting also improved shift speed and firmness? And it had compression braking.

IF the 4T65EHD tap shift did this as well, the manual 6 speed swap could hold off for a little longer.

SO, am I wrong to think the Monte tap shift does all this? Or is it just a stupid gimmick?
Old 02-11-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not going to comment on the Malibu,different scanario completely.
As for the Monte tap shift you keep reffering to I listed some of the differences and my GM parts guy stated that the actual case is even a different PN,due to internal passages!
Where are you located?
Old 02-11-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS4 swap
I drove the new Malibu and realy liked the downshifts of that tap shift. They were harder and faster. I also liked that it stayed in gear up to red line and did not shift automatically. It seemed like the tap shift setting also improved shift speed and firmness? And it had compression braking.

IF the 4T65EHD tap shift did this as well, the manual 6 speed swap could hold off for a little longer.

SO, am I wrong to think the Monte tap shift does all this? Or is it just a stupid gimmick?
Two different transmissions. A 6-cylinder Malibu has the 6T70 and it is constructed and behaves completely differently from our 4T65's.

Exactly.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS4 swap

I have driven quite a few of these 6T70 cars and found that they don't compare to the way the 4T65E-HD shifts.

The TAPshift in the GXP shifts faster and does not auto-shift either.

I'm sure those 6 speed autos are good. Maybe it's just their tunes that aren't on point.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GXP25
I have driven quite a few of these 6T70 cars and found that they don't compare to the way the 4T65E-HD shifts.

The TAPshift in the GXP shifts faster and does not auto-shift either.

I'm sure those 6 speed autos are good. Maybe it's just their tunes that aren't on point.
They're tuned for MPG and smoothness, not enthusiast driving.

The 4T65 in the GXP is, my opinion, Mickey Mouse'd together with TAP to make the car more fun. Unfortunately, I have reason to believe that the TAP "upgrades" contribute to GXP's having a higher trans failure rate than the other LS4 cars. I'm researching this now, based on the data we already have on failures, and it's starting to look like GXPs are more problem-prone. I'll hopefully have some numbers on this next week or so.

Given the choice, I'd much rather have a 6T70/75 and just get someone with HP Tuners to adjust the transmission's behavior.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:45 AM
On The Tree

As for the Monte tap shift you keep reffering to I listed some of the differences and my GM parts guy stated that the actual case is even a different PN,due to internal passages!
Where are you located?
California.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
Two different transmissions. A 6-cylinder Malibu has the 6T70 and it is constructed and behaves completely differently from our 4T65's.

Exactly.
I know the Malibu tranny is a joint venture with Ford and is totally different than the 4T65EHD, I only used it as an example of a tap shift auto that I have driven. I have not driven the LS4 tap shift. I test drove the Malibu LTZ just to play with the tap shift. I never even used the "auto" shift. That 6 speed auto would start from a dead stop in 3rd gear if you wanted it to.
I will convert the auto to a manual sooner or later, but some improvements to the auto could allow me to put the manual swap off for a little longer.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Too far, I have a zero time/never installed tapshift tranny here,complete w/tq con, but the shipping would be same cost to employ a small nation .

Quick Reply: converting a non-tap to tap-shift?