LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

cai help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cai help please

Ok I'm sure there is already a thread about this but I don't have time to search my question is is the k&n cai worth the extra 200 bucks over the k&n drop in? Kinda wondering cause I was gonna buy one of them but didn't want to waste extra money if It I was not gonna see any difference. My supporting mods are superchips cortex programmer , 10mm plug wires with ngk iradium plugs, and muffler delete with 4 inch tips on a 06 impala ss. Thank u
Old 02-13-2011, 08:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

yes, a CAI kit will be better than just a drop-in filter...

I recommend the Cold Air Inductions CAI setup...

http://coldairinductions.com/cart/in...roducts_id=805

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 02-13-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have both for sale in the classifieds if you don't wanna buy new.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

why is it better i have the air box mod and a k & n so if there is proof any one can give that its better
Old 02-13-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evil 5.3
why is it better i have the air box mod and a k & n so if there is proof any one can give that its better
could u plz share or pm what your mod is?
i drilled random holes on the side where you would put a fwi in and multilple holes around and near the main entry whole
Old 02-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Centex do you still have the pcm tray all the hardwware and instructions that go with the one u want 200 for if so I'm very interested thanks
Old 02-13-2011, 09:25 PM
Teching In

yes i definitely noticed a diff with my kn cold air kit especially in higher rpms like on the highway passing people
Old 02-13-2011, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

Ive never had any issues with my K&N Cai and did notice a slight increase.

Both K&N and CAI brands are good, but I don't think there's ever been a real test as to which one makes more hp or doesn't get as hot as the other. Maybe Centex can shed a little light on that since he used both.

Oh the PCM tray for the K&N is just the heat shield, they "bolt" to the bottom of it.

And I'm starting to notice a trend of LS4 people popping up from the Houston area!!!! We need to get a meet together or something.

Oh OP, the Laser Blue Imps are SEXXXX!!!! Corny's is the only other LBM SS I've seen in the Houston area.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:44 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the K&N allows for more HOT engine heated air to be sucked in since it is an open air filter - their "enclosure" / blocking plate does nothing... the CAI box is insulated, covered, and helps to deliver cooler air to the intake...

check out the thermal imaging...

http://cpanel3.heritagewebdesign.com...id=9&chapter=0

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 02-14-2011, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
the K&N allows for more HOT engine heated air to be sucked in since it is an open air filter - their "enclosure" / blocking plate does nothing... the CAI box is insulated, covered, and helps to deliver cooler air to the intake...

The K&N should do pretty good when the car is moving I would think.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pm sent.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS

I really don't want this to turn into a pissing match of who's right and who's wrong, but you can't tell me that ANYTHING stays around the 20* mark under our hoods as suggested by the thermal images on the CAI site. Granted it's insulated but there's no info as to what the inside temps are in the box.

Either way they're both great products and they are people happy with both of them.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ImpSS07

And I'm starting to notice a trend of LS4 people popping up from the Houston area!!!! We need to get a meet together or something.

I'm down for that.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just buy a fender well kit or buy the parts did mine for less than a hundo cause the cai air box thing is ugly as fuuuuk it looks like it belongs I'n a jap scrap car
Old 02-14-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a K&N kit, and I see room for improvement in sealing. I'm going to use the rubber seal that I removed from the back of the hood to isolate the K&N open filter. I'll also be using some aluminum heat shielding to coat the K&N box.

I'll post pictures when I do this. I'll be able to measure the difference on my scan gauge. Currently, my intake air sensor reads 12 degrees higher than the outside temps when the car is moving and any heat build-up is dissipated. After the changes, I hope to see a reduction, hopefully by half.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

ls1 racing did you remove the rubber piece at the back of the hood to get rid of heat and did you wrap your crossover pipe yet sorry if you already said it in another post
Old 02-14-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by evil 5.3
ls1 racing did you remove the rubber piece at the back of the hood to get rid of heat and did you wrap your crossover pipe yet sorry if you already said it in another post
I did remove the rubber piece, and that's what I'm going to cut up to seal my K&N box.

My crossover pipe is not wrapped, however.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
I did remove the rubber piece, and that's what I'm going to cut up to seal my K&N box.

My crossover pipe is not wrapped, however.
the suspence is killing me you stop with however lol
Old 02-14-2011, 10:50 PM
Teching In

To impss07 lol I drove all the way to oaklohoma city just to get my blue one I love the color and if ur thinkin about a meet just let me know
Old 02-15-2011, 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

I'd take the CAI over the K&N kit. I have the dash hawk and I always watch my IAT temps. The box looks pretty cool too me, and I have tweaked it a little bit to help it seal a little bit better. Make sure the air filter butts up against the box. I had to trim the coupler in order to get a good seal. Also, make sure the box sits as far foward as possible and use your cowl weather striping to seal the bottom of the box and the side next to the over flow tank.
The IAT sensor is in the MAF (leave it in there) so make sure you clock the MAF away from the crossover tube. I bought some air intake wrap and laced it around the intake tubing. Do not use exhaust wrap because the heat will not be able to escape from the intake tubing once it gets hot. A lot of heat comes out of the throttle body. So.. be warned.In the summer time I like to roll around with my headlight mod.
Definitely wrap your crossover. Having it ceramic coated is a better option though.

Here's some good reading for you http://www.zzperformance.com/downloa...omparison1.pdf

Last edited by DavidGXP; 02-15-2011 at 12:24 AM.