LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Tune ? for catless downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune ? for catless downpipe

I know the P-0420 code needs to be deleted but what other codes need to be deleted too? Does the COT need to be shut off too? Can some one explain all of this to me too? I'd like an education on this as well. Thanks in advance.

-Mike
Old 03-20-2011, 03:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

if you're removing the cat altogether, then disable the COT protection...

you'll need to disable the 0420 code for no cat, and you'll also need to disable the rear O2 codes as well, since there is no cat, those codes would trigger as well.

so, all H02 bank 1 sensor 2 codes... the 420 cat. efficiency code... and disable the COT protection...

then, you'll want to put on about 50 miles, and do a data log to see where your fuel trims are at, and adjust your fueling accordingly, so that you get your average fuel trims in the 0 to -2 range...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 03-20-2011, 07:30 PM
Launching!

so if you go catless DP, you need a tune? or can i run a catless without a tune?
Old 03-20-2011, 07:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by SSGoat
so if you go catless DP, you need a tune? or can i run a catless without a tune?
you will need a tune...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 03-20-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Lew. Do you know what the code numbers are that would need to be deleted? I am trying to figure out some things on my car and want to be sure I do not miss anything. Thanks in advance.

-Mike
Old 03-20-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
then, you'll want to put on about 50 miles, and do a data log to see where your fuel trims are at, and adjust your fueling accordingly, so that you get your average fuel trims in the 0 to -2 range...
I'm not familiar with Diablo's interface. Does it allow you to tune the VE via virtual tables or something similar? I had to write a lot of software to really get the VE curve fitting done correctly.

You could just lower the dynamic airflow thresholds so that it would always run on the MAF, if that is allowed in Diablo. That won't fix the acceleration enrichment calculations, but it will at least clear up the steady state stuff.

If none of that is available, you could just fudge the MAF transfer to compensate for the change in VE, although I wouldn't advocate that.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Launching!

aww crap, guess ima have to wait to get funds to get a tuner awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww i was so happy haha
Old 03-20-2011, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

It will still run and drive fine. No need to worry. So mod away!
Old 03-21-2011, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

aww crap, guess ima have to wait to get funds to get a tuner awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww i was so happy haha
Whats up Goat,I thought you went into the Army
Old 03-21-2011, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

^^^^ he is
Old 03-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Launching!

i am, im in AIT, pretty much the school/training for my job in the army.. supposed "mechanic" but all im learning is how to change parts/diagnose haha womp wompp its fun though..
im national guard so im stationed around my home area.. i get to go home most weekends and after ive completed my drills err dayy..

and i wont get codes or anything running the dp without tune? i plan on tuning just not soon... incase i sell my baby..

edit: and i say i gotta wait cause i blew my extra funds last weekend XD lol
Old 03-21-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does anyone know the numerical codes I need to delete? I just want to get this right. Thanks in advance, fellas.

-Mike
Old 03-21-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i am, im in AIT, pretty much the school/training for my job in the army.. supposed "mechanic" but all im learning is how to change parts/diagnose haha womp wompp its fun though..
im national guard so im stationed around my home area.. i get to go home most weekends and after ive completed my drills err dayy..

and i wont get codes or anything running the dp without tune? i plan on tuning just not soon... incase i sell my baby..

edit: and i say i gotta wait cause i blew my extra funds last weekend XD lol
Right on!
Old 03-22-2011, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, here are the codes I am going to disable for running no cat. The P-0420, P-0430, and the COT. Are there any other numerical codes I need to be concerned about or it this Ok? Thanks in advance.

-Mike
Old 03-22-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do all of these need to be deleted? Any help would be great!

P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0421 Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0422 Main Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0423 Heated Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0424 Heated Catalyst Temperature Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)
P0431 Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)
P0432 Main Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)
P0433 Heated Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)
P0434 Heated Catalyst Temperature Below Threshold (Bank 2)
Old 03-23-2011, 12:54 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

disabling the COT isn't a code... you need to disable the COT strategy...

now, the codes are:

P0420
P0137
P0138
P0140
P0141

that's it... not all of those ones that you listed...

and we don't have a bank 2

Old 03-23-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lew,

Thanks a million! This helps a ton! I can now try to do this the right way. Thank you!

-Mike
Old 03-23-2011, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lew,

Deleting the codes you specified; will that more or less disable the COT strategy too? Or most of it?

Thanks,

-Mike
Old 03-23-2011, 12:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mgpeagle
Lew,

Deleting the codes you specified; will that more or less disable the COT strategy too? Or most of it?

Thanks,

-Mike
no, that won't disable the COT at all... those are just the trouble codes for the rear O2 sensor and cat. efficiency...

you need to find and disable the Catalytic Over Temp protection as well... it's a separate setting.. it's not a trouble code... should have an enable/disable option for it... should have temps listed for it too.. if you set the temps all to 1200* it will effectively disable it.. as well as the timing threshold.. think stock is like 5 seconds... set that to 60 seconds...

but yeah, there should be a main one for the entire COT strategy, to either enable or disable the whole thing... that's what you want to look for...

Old 03-25-2011, 07:24 AM
Launching!

hmm well im thinking about it, and what would be the difference if i swap the downpipe for the catless one i have as to if i moved the cutout up to the stock downpipe with cat, but before the cat...
would it pretty much throw off the same codes?
i do plan on tuning but not now, i do want to keep the cat thogh so if i could be catless wit the open cutout before the cat, but still be able to have quiet exhaust with the cutout closed then ill just go that direction, im looking more for noise rather performance right now, once i get the cash to tune her ill probably get the 3in c/l dp on her...

what are your thoughts on just replacing the cutout before the cat on stock dp instead of putting a catless dp?

Quick Reply: Tune ? for catless downpipe