LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Already getting bored..

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nat120
I worry everyday about my trans blowing, too.. What does a TEP, FULLY built tranny cost with 3.29 gears? I've sent him quote requests but never get a response..

In regards to your question on a TEP rebuild they are $1,750. Dave at TEP is a really great guy. I exchanged about 12 emails before I decided to go with him. He is honest and has a great reputation. I am supprised that he did not respond. I was not even going to go with him as he is 230 miles away and there was a repair mand 30 miles away but Daves reputation was flawless.
I paided a little over $3k with shipping,core charge,Harden input shafts and ECM/TCM reprogramed for the 3.29's with next day shipping.But Dave did tell me prices went up begining of March...

Last edited by 1CL3ANSUP3RSPORT; 04-03-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drjesus616
Old 04-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

Drjesus616- just ordered the stb package and about the lowering springs should I go with the canuck motorsports brand and kyb struts is that all I would need?
Old 04-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Teching In

I paided a little over $3k with shipping,core charge,and ECM/TCM reprogramed for the 3.29's with next day shipping.But Dave did tell me prices went up begining of March...

His prices I think when up $100 on the rebuild from $1650 to $1750. I brought my car to him and had the rebuild $1650, upgrade input shaft $450, $550 to take the trans out and put back in. Then it was an additional $125 for the 3.29 as he had to reprogram.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nat120
I paided a little over $3k with shipping,core charge,Harden input shafts and ECM/TCM reprogramed for the 3.29's with next day shipping.But Dave did tell me prices went up begining of March...

His prices I think when up $100 on the rebuild from $1650 to $1750. I brought my car to him and had the rebuild $1650, upgrade input shaft $450, $550 to take the trans out and put back in. Then it was an additional $125 for the 3.29 as he had to reprogram.
Forgot about the harden input shafts,and he is shipping it to Cali and back
Old 04-04-2011, 12:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SScali
Drjesus616- just ordered the stb package and about the lowering springs should I go with the canuck motorsports brand and kyb struts is that all I would need?
youll need to talk to someone else about the lowering stuff ... mine still rides at stock height because the roads are horrible around here
Old 04-04-2011, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GXP25
We have enough issues with traction and torque steer as it is and you want a supercharger?

Do you even know the difference between the two?

I most definitely know the difference my dude. I was just stating that its more expensive to mod this car for little gains. We have to get parts made/fabricated for these cars. On top of that every little thing we do we have to worry about the transmission blowing. I love the fact that my car is a sleeper no doubt about it but had i done my research on this car (which is my fault) i definitely would have went with another car. But thats just my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own, right?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SSCoop...

If you hate your car so much then get out of it...sell/trade it in on something else and take a loss if you have to.

Intake swap, rockers, headers, and a good tune will transform these cars into a totally new animal.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 200 Likes on 99 Posts

I took the hard way and upgraded the MAF, Thottlebody, Intake, Injectors, Camshaft, Exhaust manifolds, exhaust system is 1/2 the length and converted to a manual transmission and an aluminum flywheel...

By the time it is complete (later this summer) my car should weigh in under 2900 lbs and put down north of 325+ whp...
Old 04-04-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SSCoop
...On top of that every little thing we do we have to worry about the transmission blowing. I love the fact that my car is a sleeper no doubt about it but had i done my research on this car (which is my fault) i definitely would have went with another car. But thats just my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own, right?
Totally agree on this. While it would be nice to have more mods available, I'd much rather that GM hadn't cut corners on the transmission. I really regret that i didn't do a lot more thorough research on this car, because we definitely would have chosen differently.

Originally Posted by Bryan921SS
SSCoop...

If you hate your car so much then get out of it...sell/trade it in on something else and take a loss if you have to.

Intake swap, rockers, headers, and a good tune will transform these cars into a totally new animal.
He never said he hated the car, and I echo his sentiment about the regrets. Some people don't want have to worry about having a $2000 trans failure on a car for which they just took out a five-figure loan.

We actually love driving our Impala, and we've done the mods that we could do without breaking the bank. It just sucks that I also had to shell out over $1000 to make the stock trans live in a lightly modded car.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSCoop
I most definitely know the difference my dude. I was just stating that its more expensive to mod this car for little gains. We have to get parts made/fabricated for these cars. On top of that every little thing we do we have to worry about the transmission blowing. I love the fact that my car is a sleeper no doubt about it but had i done my research on this car (which is my fault) i definitely would have went with another car. But thats just my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own, right?
You made it seem as if a supercharger would be better than a turbo. Why anyone would welcome all that bottom end power is beyond me. That's why the turbo [lag] is "better," you know, considering that we're FWD.

Originally Posted by fieroguru
I took the hard way and upgraded the MAF, Thottlebody, Intake, Injectors, Camshaft, Exhaust manifolds, exhaust system is 1/2 the length and converted to a manual transmission and an aluminum flywheel...

By the time it is complete (later this summer) my car should weigh in under 2900 lbs and put down north of 325+ whp...
I really cannot wait to see how you hook up that LS2 throttle body to the LS2 intake and get it all running.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All i was saying is that these cars are limited when it comes to mods. And all the parts that are available are pretty much an arm and a leg. i dont hate my car, i just hate the fact that there are transmission problems with these LS4 cars.