LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

July Hot Rod - Turbo 409 in 2007 Monte Carlo

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds awesome! Looking forward to vids and pics.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

More news - the car is untested so this first run was to find out about it's deficiencies.
Some overheating in the mountains - 1 rear mounted cooler & pump and front air dam to be added to correct
Handles great but slams hard over rough roads - needs shock adjustment
Lacks vacuum at idle - needs vacuum booster
Power steering vanishes at idle - needs small cooler added
Installing billet flexplate by Meziere - to be on safe side - stock one probably wouldn't last long
Temperature differential across intercooler not high enough, low temperature radiator insufficient - ice box in trunk will resolve.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

So not getting enough air through that front end huh?
Old 08-19-2011, 07:16 AM
Staging Lane

That is absolutely correct - not enough air flow. The engine bay temperature is very high. Everything in there is so crammed in with little or no ventilation. I have created a cowl vacuum by cutting holes in the hood at the cowl but it still is not enough to vacate the hot air. Any ideas?
Old 08-25-2011, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Wow that is a tough one. You are obviously making way more power than was ever meant to be in that space and therefore a lot more heat. Take the hood off??? Seriously though if you could just take a drive without it once and see how much improvement you do or don't get and then from there maybe you can get some more ideas on where to get some cooling from. Just a testing idea.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Default Amazing build!

I have been noticing the use of large extractors in hoods right after the radiator since the C5Rs were introduced. Maybe you can fab something into your stock hood to function in the same way? I would like to do what you did to the cowl just for a mostly stock application and your requirements make mine seem like a mouse fart.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

Running without a hood would probably completely solve my engine bay temperature and reduce the overall temperature but I got to figure something out that is practical. I am not familiar with the extractors that was mentioned but I sure am going to look into it. Thanks again.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the car in Michigan now or still out west?
Old 09-13-2011, 02:12 AM
On The Tree

Switch over to an Impala style front bumper. The bottom opening is MUCH larger than the Monte. It almost bolts right in. You just have to fabricate the chin spoiler to make it match the rest of the body work. You can see the difference in my signature.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

MillerMonteSS: I have decided to take your advise and go the Impala bumper route. You mentioned I had to fabricate the chin splitter to fit. What was it that you had to do to make that fit? Also - did you notice any difference in coolant temperature with this change? Let me know if you get a chance. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

Supercatxr7 - the car is still out west working out some bugs, mostly with cooling issues and airflow.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Rare4thgens: I did some research on hood extractors and I guess MPD is the only one that makes one for my Monte - but it is a molded fiberglass on a fabricated OEM metal hood and I don't care for the look or the fact that it is fiberglass and a few slams of my hood and I would be afraid it might crack. It is a good idea but I think I will try enlarging my grille first with the Impala bumper and go to the hood if I am have no choice and have too. I really appreciate all the help guys. All very good advise.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bahdeets
I have decided to take your advise and go the Impala bumper route. You mentioned I had to fabricate the chin splitter to fit. What was it that you had to do to make that fit? Also - did you notice any difference in coolant temperature with this change? Let me know if you get a chance. Thanks.
I used an Impala LTZ front bumper with SS fog light covers and the SS lower grille. The original Monte grille fit perfectly in the upper portion. Cut the chin spoiler in half. Attach one side to the original mounting point in the fender well. After you get it centered and trimmed to the vehicle centerline, temporarily attach it to the car with tape. At this point attach the other side and trim it to fit also. Once I had the proper fit, I mounted it to the bumper using bolts where the rubberized plastic insert would normally go. The rubberized insert will no longer fit into the space it was intended to go. I found that the easiest route was to cut it also and use adhesive to form it into the correct shape that you would need. After that, a little bit of Bondo and paint. Here is my amateur attempt…

http://montecarloforum.com/forum/pai...ts-pics-23906/

It worked very well. I am a huge fan of your car. Keep up the great work.

Last edited by MillerMonteSS; 09-14-2011 at 03:32 AM. Reason: 'M'
Old 09-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Staging Lane

MillerMonteSS: I really appreciate your help. I noticed you used an LTZ front bumper - I double checked Chevrolet's Parts catalog and the LTZ and the SS Impala have two different part numbers. I am wondering if I will have the same issues with the chin splitter you did if I use the SS bumper instead. I am going to the dealer tonight to order my parts. In either case if I am faced with the same fabrication issues I really want to sincerely thank you for your picture-link on the job you did. That was some real nice work. I will be in touch. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

The shape of both is the same, however none of the Impalas came with the proper ground effects that match the rest of the car. You will have to do some fab work. I went with the LTZ part due to budget. Same part, different price. Make sure you get the proper fender wells for which ever bumper style you switch to. The Monte plastic does not quite line up with the new shape of the bumper. Purchasing new fender wells at $13 per side will really clean up the install. Keep up the great work.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

thanks - I will keep you posted on my progress.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

MillerMonteSS: Ordered my all the parts today. I have to tell you this has got to be the best idea that has come along in this build in awhile. I am excited. It has been recommended to use PlasticWeld instead of bondo - I guess it's more durable. This should opens up my front end to more air flow and should solve some of my temperature difficulties I am having when driving less than 40 mph. More grille and even where the fog lights to, it's open - I have 2 tranny coolers in that area on the passenger side and with the air dam installed and this grille - it's going to be chilly down there.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

Sweet. Just remember who you got the idea from! LOL. I would love to see pics of the tranny coolers mounted behind the fog light grilles. I have been considering that for a while now. I was either going to do that or run brake ducts through there. I am sure that whoever recommended the plastic weld knows what they are talking about. I had a few problems after about a month and had to redo it. I am on the Monte forum as well. Let me know how it's working for you.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

On the first page of this thread 07MCSS posted two links to my build. There hasn't been much posted to it in a while because the tech doing all the photographing doesn't work there now and the tech who is working on my car just doesn't have the time to do pictures, run a business and work on my car. But there is a photo or two showing the the two tranny coolers mounted. In the picture the front bumper is off - If I remember correctly there should be a couple shots of the coolers for you too see.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

MillerMonteSS: 2nd link photo 132 & 133 - I have some preliminary pictures of my first drive out into the mountains I can email you if you are interested. These were some of the photos I am putting together for my HotRod layout. The video isn't done - it will be done shortly then I will put together a presentation with build sheet, dyno specs, picture layout and video to submit to Hotrod as a follow up to my first article. You can PM me an email address if you have any interest.

Quick Reply: July Hot Rod - Turbo 409 in 2007 Monte Carlo