LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Charging System Failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging System Failure

First off before anyone gives me the I did and nothing fits my symtoms....

Anyway a couple days ago the Charging System Failure poped up in the DIC while I was going through a car wash. I figured something just got wet, but nevertheless I motored the volts in my DIC the last couple of days.

The results lead me to believe that something is wrong. When the car had been sitting in my garage overnight, the next morning I put the key to the "run" position in the ignition and the volts read between 12.2 and 12.4 in the DIC. I myself would consider this to be normal, so i think the battery is alright.

Now when I turn the car over after it has been sitting for the night the volts are between 14.8 to 15.4 while in park/neutral. Now I consider that to be too high. Also when driving for a while the volts will be anywhere from 13.7 to 15.6 volts. While the volts won't spike/fall rapidily they fluxuate consistenly over a hour to two hour drive and will be anywhere between those two points. I also find this to be .

So I guess my problem is i know the battery is alrite because of the volts it shows when the alt. is not charging it, and I kno the alt. is alrite because of volts it shows when the car is running. So what could possibly be the problem?

Thanks again in advance
Old 05-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

I've had the same problem wth mine ever since my battery swelled out and I relaced it.. The Charging System Failure thing pops up about once every few weeks, but the voltage is always crazy.. Same numbers as yours.. I usually toss on the rear defrost and headlights just to keep it out of the 15+ range.. Not sure how to get this fixed, my tuner saw nothing in the computer either.. I just ignore it now, since it doesnt affect the car any.. Starting to think the DIC is just acting up..
Old 05-28-2011, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

My 06 did the same thing, still had the original delco battery and tried everything to get it to do it to see what set it off. I changed batteries and never had the problem again.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by neilownz
Is the battery a Delco?
yes it is, the dealer replaced it about 3 months ago.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:57 PM
Launching!

My best guess?? You need to replace your battery. 12.2-12.4 volts is too low for a good charged battery. It should be at least 12.8volts and preferrably over 13 volts. MEASURE THE BATTERY VOLTAGE RIGHT AT THE BATTERY WITH A DECENT VOLT OHM METER. The high voltage reading while engine is running is probably alternator trying to charge the bad battery and also power the car's electrical system at the same time.

Last edited by Tappeter; 05-28-2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: change
Old 05-28-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

If that battery was bad it would come up and say battery saver active and shut down anything that is not needed(or atleast this is what my car did when the battery was bad). Also Ive had my DIC show as low as 12.3v and as high as 15.8v.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tappeter
My best guess?? You need to replace your battery. 12.2-12.4 volts is too low for a good charged battery. It should be at least 12.8volts and preferrably over 13 volts. MEASURE THE BATTERY VOLTAGE RIGHT AT THE BATTERY WITH A DECENT VOLT OHM METER. The high voltage reading while engine is running is probably alternator trying to charge the bad battery and also power the car's electrical system at the same time.
Yes I should of mentioned that from the beginning, I did measure the battery with a OHM meter and got nearly the same readings the DIC was showing. It's interesting that you say 12.4-12.4 is too low I always though anything over 12 was considered "normal". It's really weird that the battery would be bad after around 3 months (if that is indeed that case). I mean I really don't drive it that much and the day the message showed up was after the car has been sitting outside for about 4 days in mostly rainy weather (had a cover on it though if that matters at all). I still think its weird that battery would be cooked so quickly.

Originally Posted by Haulin_Ls4_GxP
that battery was bad it would come up and say battery saver active and shut down anything that is not needed(or atleast this is what my car did when the battery was bad). Also Ive had my DIC show as low as 12.3v and as high as 15.8v
Now see I have never had a message (so far) say anything like that pop up. Hmm if it is that battery though I'm getting a Red Top, but first I want to find out what is draining it so fast.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine has the same problem,but it kills my optima.YES i said optima killed 2 red tops and 3 yellow tops,where i had to have the battery charge all day.Mine must be low it always reads at 12.2 consitant when the key is in the run postion as well.

But only thing that comes to my mind is after i got rear-ended,it cause a short or is triggering the onstar to drain my battery.I dont even pay for the onstar,as a matter of fact it happen this morning.I didnt turn the car on all day yesterday,when i went to warn her up today battery was DEAD
Old 05-29-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have xm , would it affect the xm radio
Old 05-29-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

batterys should be at 12.6v. A battery has 6 cells each holding 2.1v
now when the car is running with the alternator adding power this changes of course.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Mine did the same thing. Popped up charging system failure. Original battery. 2 days later it was dead and I was stranded. New battery installed and it sounded like it cranked a lot stronger. Guess it was on the fritz for a while. As for you with the new battery. I bought a 04 grand prix brand new and 6 months after I bought it battery was bad. It sucked but it happens.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls4door
Mine did the same thing. Popped up charging system failure. Original battery. 2 days later it was dead and I was stranded. New battery installed and it sounded like it cranked a lot stronger. Guess it was on the fritz for a while. As for you with the new battery. I bought a 04 grand prix brand new and 6 months after I bought it battery was bad. It sucked but it happens.
well I still couldn't figure out what the hell is going on so I just put in a new red top. Like a lot of your said, pretty easy to get in, at least simpler then getting the old delco out was

Anyway the volts have returned to what the consensus on here is for "normal" for now so we'll see what it saids in a few weeks. I'll update you guys then as to the results.

Thanks again everyone for all the input

Quick Reply: Charging System Failure