LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

GM is making a part to stop oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And the previous PI:

#PIP4814B: Excessive Oil Consumption And/ Or Blue Exhaust Smoke - (Mar 16, 2011)

Subject: Excessive Oil Consumption and/or Blue Exhaust Smoke

Models: Models: 2008-2009 Buick LaCrosse, Allure (Canada Only)

2006-2009 Chevrolet Impala SS

2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS

2005-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP

With AFM (Active Fuel Management) 5.3L Engine (RPO LS4)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to repair described in this PI. Please discard PIP4814A.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may complain that their vehicle has been using approximately 1 quart of oil every 500-1,000 miles. In most cases, the customer will advise that this did not start until the engine accumulated approximately 30,000 miles or more. In some cases, the customer may note that this is more apparent when driving at highway speed. In rare instances, a SES light and engine misfire may be encountered with a P0300 DTC.

Upon inspection, an oil fouled spark plug(s) may be noted. In most cases, static compression and cylinder leakage testing will appear normal. Excessive oil may or may not be found in the intake manifold.

In most cases, this is the result of stuck oil control rings. Generally, the stuck oil control rings are the result of excessive oil on the cylinder walls. The excessive oil can come from the PCV system and/or the AFM pressure relief valve in the oil pan.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If this concern is encountered, follow the steps below:

•Visually inspect the entire engine and the underside of the vehicle for any evidence of oil leaks and repair them as necessary.
•If the vehicle has an engine misfire due to a spark plug that is obviously oil fouled, skip to step 3 since this proves that it has an obvious oil consumption concern. If not, perform an oil consumption test as outlined in the latest version of oil consumption of 01-06-01-011 to verify the concern before proceeding to step 3. Allow the vehicle to sit on a level surface with the engine off This PI was superseded to repair described in this PI. Please discard PIP4814A. for at least 10 minutes to allow the entire engine to drain back to the oil pan before checking the engine oil level and adding oil.
Compare the oil consumption test results to one of the scenarios below to determine further direction:

If oil consumption is Less than 1 quart of oil every 2,000 miles and no low oil light has been experienced, no repairs should be performed as this should be considered acceptable oil consumption as outlined in the latest version of 01-06-01-011.

If oil consumption is Less than 1 quart of oil every 2,000 miles but the customer has experienced a low oil light, check for proper oil level sensor operation.

If oil consumption is More than 1 quart every 2,000 miles, proceed to step 3.

•Perform the PCV inspections outlined in the latest version of PIP4492.
•Check for any obvious valve seal concerns and repair as necessary.
•If the steps above are followed without isolating the cause of this concern, this is most likely the result of AFM pressure relief valve oil accumulating on the bottom of the cylinders when active fuel management is enabled. Over time, this may eventually lead to the stuck oil control rings, poor ring sealing, and increased oil consumption.
Procedures are being developed to repair this by cleaning the oil control rings and redirecting the AFM pressure relief valve oil away from the cylinder walls. The related parts and procedures should be available during the 2011 calendar year but an exact date is not available at this time. As soon as the repair becomes available, this PI will be updated with additional details, or a separate bulletin will be released. Also note that the AFM shield described in the latest version of 10-06-01-008 will not fit the LS4 engine.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Teching In

So when would this work need to be performed? And warranty will cover this ''overhaul'' or shield correct?
Old 08-15-2011, 08:49 AM
TECH Regular

i took mine in for the final test and all together i burnt up 3.5 quarts within 3000 miles. Dealership told me that now i just gotta wait for the part to come out.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Launching!

We'll see how long it takes for them to come out with it for the LS4. Not holding my breath for it being covered for those out of warranty. On the plus side, its been 1kmi since turning off DOD and I have not burnt an ounce!
Old 08-15-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Regular

yeah im looking to buy a diablo real soon
Old 08-16-2011, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

After about 3000 i am usually down about half to 3/4 quart. Still have the intermittent tick at startup. The car has been sitting since Monday morning when I dropped it off will see if it ticks on startup and if so will be taking it in. warranty until june 2012.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Mine is in the shop right now for this. Got to the point it would blow a big cloud of blue smoke when the DOD kicked off and would smoke idling. Last check it burned 1.5 quarts in 1700 miles.

doesn't she look sad

Name:  100MEDIA95IMAG0123.jpg
Views: 1859
Size:  21.2 KB

They are replacing pistons, rings and lifters. I had been holding out for the AFM shield but it got to be really bad. Is there any way to disable the DOD without a tuner? Can the dealer disable it through the tech 2? Next time it does this it won't be under warranty...
Old 10-19-2011, 05:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I sure miss some of the fuel savings with DoD, but the car is so much better with it tuned out (performance, zero oil consumption).
Old 10-19-2011, 06:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought it was comical my gas mileage never changed on the dic it's still stuck on 18.6 when you run the numbers it's in to the low 20s been a while so I don't remember the exact
Old 10-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Default piston carbon buildup picture

Sorry to hijack but figure since it is the same problem...

The pic below is what happens in your cylinders with this problem. See all the carbon build up from burning oil. Not good! Sure glad it is under warranty because it would just keep getting worse, stick the rings and eventually score the cylinder walls I'd imagine. One thing I don't get is it still ran awesome? would think performance would suffer?

Name:  100MEDIA95IMAG0128.jpg
Views: 1781
Size:  19.9 KB
Old 10-27-2011, 12:03 PM
TECH Resident

You guys are lucky, I haven't had a warranty in a LONG time.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EmersonHart13
You guys are lucky, I haven't had a warranty in a LONG time.
I hear ya..We're way out of warranty and we consume about a quart every 2500 miles and have the blue smoke.

We're up to 125,000 miles, so I guess I can't bitch too much, as the motor has been otherwise solid. It's the tranny that's crap.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Regular

Im sure everyone knows that its the DOD that's screwing everything up. Because of it I would burn a quart of oil every 1000 miles and I could hear a very faint grinding sound when the DOD was on, sounded like non greased bearings. Now since i purchased a predator tuner and shut the DOD off i haven't burnt any oil or heard that grinding sound, i did lose some mpg but the car runs like a champ.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

I have 122K on my '07 Suburban now. Same issue with it's 5.7l engine. I'm about to get it tuned. Can anything be done once its tuned out to reverse the effects on the cylinder walls from the carbon build-up? Short of a tear-down.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:33 PM
Launching!

GM has some combustion chamber cleaner they were using on this TSB but I don't know the exact part number. I think thats about all you can do really.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Teching In

Its not GM Top Engine Cleaner? I am not sure if they still make this stuff but I used to use it back in the day on my 97 Grand Prix GTP. The guys on the clubgp forum used it thats how I found out about it. You get a can of it from the dealership and let your engine warm up, then suck the can through a vaccum line right into the cylinders and you have to keep the throttle rev'ed so it does not stall out. During the process you get a ton of smoke coming out of the exhaust. I believe this is the part number 88861802.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Bought a Monte SS this summer, found out I have this problem as well.
Important: This rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, that are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, with less than 58,000 km (36,000 mi), or driven at legal speeds in an unloaded (for trucks) condition.
Out of bumper to bumper warranty, but I still have the 5 year/100k powertrain warranty. Shouldn't it still be covered?
Old 11-03-2011, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blueguy
Bought a Monte SS this summer, found out I have this problem as well.
Out of bumper to bumper warranty, but I still have the 5 year/100k powertrain warranty. Shouldn't it still be covered?
Yes you will be covered.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Teching In

That sounds like Seafoam. Anyone use that?

Originally Posted by SS07
Its not GM Top Engine Cleaner? I am not sure if they still make this stuff but I used to use it back in the day on my 97 Grand Prix GTP. The guys on the clubgp forum used it thats how I found out about it. You get a can of it from the dealership and let your engine warm up, then suck the can through a vaccum line right into the cylinders and you have to keep the throttle rev'ed so it does not stall out. During the process you get a ton of smoke coming out of the exhaust. I believe this is the part number 88861802.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Teching In

Yeah its pretty much the same thing as Seafoam. May be a little more potent than Seafoam. Im telling you you suck that Top Engine Clean through a vac line and you will clear the neighborhood with smoke. The only problem I could see is since the TB is electronically controlled, you would need to have someone on the gas to keep it reved so it wont stall out.

Quick Reply: GM is making a part to stop oil consumption