LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Tuned by Vector

Old 06-07-2011, 07:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuned by Vector

Last Thursday I received the canned tune by Vector, and I am not impressed. Actually I'm having a very hard time justifying the $350 spent. The only benefit of the tune is that my check engine light is off and the 1-2 shift seems "lightly" better.

The 2-3 shift is still at the same shift point. There is no noticeable power gain (they claim 15-20 HP, I think I should be able to feel that, don't you?) Now when I'm cruising at anywhere above 50 my car has a hard time coasting, the RPMs do not drop until about 47mph. Once I hit 47 the RPMs surge to about 700 and then jump back up to about 900-1000 RPM and gradually decrease as I slow done (which is normal, minus the surge to 700 RPM). When I'm cruising at 65+ mph the RMPs will stay at around 2000 until I reach about 47 mph then they will drop (hopefully that made sense). Under normal throttle and WOT the shifts do not seem any firmer, is that something that I should be able to feel the difference, or is that a behind the scenes upgrade?

Maybe what I have described is normal, and I am just expecting to much?

Please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 07whiteGXP
Last Thursday I received the canned tune by Vector, and I am not impressed. Actually I'm having a very hard time justifying the $350 spent. The only benefit of the tune is that my check engine light is off and the 1-2 shift seems "lightly" better.

The 2-3 shift is still at the same shift point. There is no noticeable power gain (they claim 15-20 HP, I think I should be able to feel that, don't you?) Now when I'm cruising at anywhere above 50 my car has a hard time coasting, the RPMs do not drop until about 47mph. Once I hit 47 the RPMs surge to about 700 and then jump back up to about 900-1000 RPM and gradually decrease as I slow done (which is normal, minus the surge to 700 RPM). When I'm cruising at 65+ mph the RMPs will stay at around 2000 until I reach about 47 mph then they will drop (hopefully that made sense). Under normal throttle and WOT the shifts do not seem any firmer, is that something that I should be able to feel the difference, or is that a behind the scenes upgrade?

Maybe what I have described is normal, and I am just expecting to much?

Please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks.
I've heard that before from a few other owners. Ya like I said before (in previous threads) vector really doesn't have THAAAT much experience with the LS4. I mean it took them 10 runs on their dyno. to get me dialed in so I can imigine a "can" tune can't be all that helpful. You add that to the fact that the Ls4 is already using an pretty agressive tune from the factory and you may begin to understand why you are expereining what your are.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Launching!

also may I add that Will at Overkill performance can "tweak" your vector tune and get you MUCH better results. The hardist thing about that is you are going to have to drive out to Toranto as he has to do it in person.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:30 AM
Teching In

I would definatly drive out to Toronto, too bad it is impossible to get in contact with him. I tried before I got the Vector tune.

Do you think it would be advantagous to try to get on the dyno and get the tune tweaked?

I guess I need to get in contact with Vector and see what they say.

Thank for the replies
Old 06-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Launching!

I would definatly drive out to Toronto, too bad it is impossible to get in contact with him. I tried before I got the Vector tune.

Do you think it would be advantagous to try to get on the dyno and get the tune tweaked?

I guess I need to get in contact with Vector and see what they say.

Thank for the replies
yes the dyno tune would help but I bet there still going to charge you around 400 for dyno time
Old 06-07-2011, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

I'm assuming you're telling him to drive out to Toronto only because he has to get the vector tune tweaked. Otherwise you can send your PCM to Will and he'll tune it and return it. You don't physically have to go to Canada.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Why not invest in a diablosport and get the lew tune for it? Otherwise Will can retune it if you send it to him. Keep emailing him. It takes awhile for him to respond.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Diablo or Superchips. Lew if that is option. For me is not. I doubt I ever do one but I would prolly go superchips. I wish diablo worked for 08.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:03 PM
12 Second Club

This is the problem with mail order canned tunes that have no way of data logging.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:20 AM
Teching In

I was in contact with Lew and he couldnt tune my car. I can't ship the pcm because this is my only vehicle - which is why I was so drawn to Vector because they are 15 minutes away from my house.

I put a call into Vector yesterday and the guy that does the tunes should be calling me back today, hopefully, to answer my questions. I'd like to get on the dyno, but not for an additional $400-500. Hopefully he will have a good response for me.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah... only the 2006's are supported...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 06-08-2011, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
yeah... only the 2006's are supported...
This is too bad Lew, cause your tune over the factory diablo sport tune was night and day. I miss talking to you man
Old 06-08-2011, 11:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
This is too bad Lew, cause your tune over the factory diablo sport tune was night and day. I miss talking to you man
hahah... I hear ya man.. can always hit me up on IM whenever man.. i'm always around to BS....

oh, and I misspoke in my previous post.. 2005's are also supported... so it's 2005's and 2006's are the only ones supported...

but yeah.. odd that they're not feeling much difference with that vector tune... when mine makes such a big difference

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 06-08-2011, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS

but yeah.. odd that they're not feeling much difference with that vector tune... when mine makes such a big difference

Thanks for rubbing it in, haha. It is too bad the 07s arent supported
Old 06-08-2011, 12:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thanks for rubbing it in, haha. It is too bad the 07s arent supported
hahaha... wasn't meant towards you like that, sorry man...

yeah.. well, it's not just our cars tho.. the 07's, and the 08/09 impala/gxp's use the E67 ecm (instead of the E40 that was used in the 05 and 06)... and diablo doesn't support the E67 ecm yet... so it's ANY vehicle that's using the E67 ecm...

Old 06-08-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

sorry to hear......are you sure the tune is what is causing the issues you are experiencing? What mods do you have? I agree the 2-3 shift should have been changed.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Teching In

I am not 100% percent certain that the tune is what caused my issues but it is the only thing I can relate it to. My mods are 3inch catless down pipe, magnaflow catback, and a cold air inductions CAI.

In anyone else's car, tuned or not, when you let of the throttle at 60, 65 or 70mph what do your RPMs drop to? Thanks

I spoke with Vector today and they said to bring the car back and they will take it for a drive with me to see what the deal is. Also I talked to them about getting on the dyno. I am happy with their concern and I am in no way trying to bash their company or the product of their work, just trying to get some answers (sorry had to get that out there)

Last edited by 07whiteGXP; 06-08-2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-08-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes, it is always good to allow a company to rectify the situation before giving them a negative review. I hope they make things right for you.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:08 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

it's easy to tell if its the tune or not... did you keep your stock modules?? swap 'em out!

see if it's like that with the previous tune...

and if ya didn't keep your own set of stock/previous modules, well, then I dunno... me, I would never have my original set overwritten... just in case some weird **** went on with the tuned set, then at least you could put the previous set back on and be up and running...

Old 06-09-2011, 07:33 AM
Teching In

Lew-Good call.

The plan of action I thought of this morning is:

1. Drive the car with Vector so they see what is going on
2. Re-apply stock tune, drive around again to see if everything is back to "normal"
3. Strap up on the dyno make the first run with stock tune for baseline
4. Apply the canned tune, make another run to see any power difference
5. Make adjustments and run again
6. Repeat step 5 until statisfied
7. Drive around and make sure everything is good, then go home happy

Does that seem reasonable?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tuned by Vector