LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Anyone ever have ECM problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever have ECM problems?

I am having a weird issue with the car. When i go to start it the gauges, DIC or anything will not turn on (this is after the car is started and running). The car runs fine and all and will go into gear. Then if i shut it down and restsart it they will work but my DIC says traction control disabled and service stability control system. It even said service anti theft system once.

I called the dealer and of course they can't say for sure what it is without looking at it first. I told him what i thought it was (ECM) and he did say it could be but would have to look at it first. That is one bill i don't want to see. So i looked on line and GM parts have them for 210. Not too bad. But can i buy a new one and swap it out or dose it have to be paired with the car in some way to work. I didn't know how the anti theft works on this car. I know an some other cars the VATS can be a real pain.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Vehicle?
Old 06-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

08 gxp
Old 06-28-2011, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get someone with hptuners to copy your tune to the new ECM, that that should do it. Call a shop near you that does LS tuning just to make sure.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

Unfortunately i don't have it tuned yet If i knew there was someone local i would.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by texasGXP08
Get someone with hptuners to copy your tune to the new ECM, that that should do it. Call a shop near you that does LS tuning just to make sure.
Worst advice ever if he's under warranty. My TCM got replaced under powertrain at 57k miles.

OP - if you end up buying your own, it'll have to be programmed to your car.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Teching In

If it is your ECM going bad I wish you the best of luck. I took over a month for my dealership to get one. They are few and far between and dealership that do have them in stock didnt want to give them up so easily. At that time the contractor that was making them for GM quit making them. But from what I was told both the ECM and the TCM have to be paired, and only certain years will work for each other.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks CenTexSSfor mentioning the power tran warranty i honestly never thought it was covered under it i will call the stearlership and see if it is. mine is an 08 with 74000 on it and this is the first thing i have had go wrong so i'll keep my fingers crossed.