LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

plastidipped ONE of my wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plastidipped ONE of my wheels...

So today i got bored and decided to plasti dip my wheels just too see if i liked it or not..

First side, came out pretty rough...I used thick coats which I saw were recommended by some members...When dried the thicker areas looked like they had been pricked with pins....This side I just left and immediately peeled. Prep included pressure washing the entire rim, washing it with soap, Pressure rinsing it..Then after drying it cleaning it up with degreaser..Had a few packs of index cards laying around and put those in between the tire and rim, and then put some painters tape on the inch or so of brake caliper that was revealed.

Heres the other side..What you see here is 2 very light coats..The light coats dried and looked very smooth, the paintjob looked good...I still ended up deciding I hated the look on my car and peeled it off, lol.

Here is pretty much what you will be left with after peeling..

I never liked the gold bowties on my car, and decided to paint them to see what it looks like..I plan on getting overlays down the line...Also I replaced my Red SS with Black ones..The red looks nice up close but from far away, mixed with the chrome outline, you can't really tell it says SS...The contrast with the black looks alot nice I think.

I also painted the front Bowtie , and the chrome outline on the grill as well, to see if I like it or not. On the Impalas, the bottom grille is chrome as well as the top, on Montes this isn't the case and Ive never been to sure of how it looks...I will get a pic lata its drying now...I love plasti dip, great for experimenting with stuff, and very easy to remove if you dont like the outcome.

EDIT: A note about durability...The paint around the lugnuts was a bitch to get out..So i used my pressure washer...If you have the nozzle closed so its up to full pressure it will rip off the plastidip if there is even a small scratch or rip...If you have them on medium with a wider spray, youll be fine though..
Old 06-30-2011, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

That looks pretty cool! Where did get it from and what is it called? I think I want to do a little experimenting! I like black on silver.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Launching!

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10053

I got mine from Home Depot...Its the second one..you can see if the Home Depots in your area have it if you click the link in the box..All of the ones within 50 miles had at least 10 (Except for my local one which had 8) so im guessing theyll probably have it there..For wheels 1 can per wheel should be good...if youre doing just emblems+trim one can should be good for the whole car lol
Old 06-30-2011, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

I've seen this posted in a couple of other forums as well. I haven't made up my mind about it yet. Doesn't look bad though.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:53 PM
TECH Resident

Multiple LIGHT coats are the way to go with this stuff. And it is very nice for experimenting.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:06 AM
On The Tree

Use rubbing/isopropyl alcohol as your final prep step. The bubbles could be formed by the degreaser.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

every chrome piece on my car is plasti dipped loll i love that stuff

Quick Reply: plastidipped ONE of my wheels...