LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Tips: How to keep under hood temps down....

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BAD06MCSS
my dad uses that stuff in his chevelle. It really worked for him. I am just experiencing 190+ degree IAT temps. It is making my car run like *****....Anything else?
Buy yourself a bunch of piping and a filter and go to building.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I see some hot IAT temps after driving then parking the car for awhile. I’ve got the pipes wrapped but the turbo still puts off a lot of heat. Open cone filter sucks in a lot of under hood heat. I removed the weather stripping along the cowl, and use a MSD IAT sensor mounted in the intake. As soon as I start the car IAT starts dropping, and by the time I get to the end of the road on my street IAT is just a few degrees above ambient. The stock maf gets heat soaked and reads higher temps than is actually in the intake.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:00 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hood Vents

Here is how one person vented their hood cowl. These pics are from the person who built the 401CI Monte SS Turbo.
Attached Thumbnails Tips: How to keep under hood temps down....-dscn0585.jpg   Tips: How to keep under hood temps down....-dscn0586.jpg  
Old 08-08-2011, 06:56 AM
Staging Lane

08RedSS: That method of cooling creates a vacuum on the windshield side of the cowl when the car is moving drawing heat out from under the hood and at a stand still gives the heat as it rises in the engine compartment a way to escape. GM was working on this same issue with their Duramax trucks in higher elevations and have recommended as an acceptable modification to resolve high temperatures under the hood.

Quick Reply: Tips: How to keep under hood temps down....