LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

My 2006 Imp SS clean-up

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn ..... Nice work man, makes my car look like **** with all them swirl marks... I need to have it detailed soon when I get time to take it, I would do it myself but dont want to mess up my paint.

Oh and btw welcome to the forum!!!
Old 08-03-2011, 12:44 AM
Teching In

thanks for all the kind words everyone. I'm still trying to figure out what rims they are, the center caps say american racing but I've looked through a few places for them and can't find a match so I'm assuming they are discontinued now. SSC springs are on my list of wants but i'm afraid of rubbing on the fenders, I've had a full car of people before and had issues with the rear tires rubbing the inside of the tire to the wheel well.

It's not all about the machine in polishing it's technique and patience and pratice, it just so happens that the flex or a rotary buffer will remove more swirls faster if you know what you are doing.

Like others have mentioned, the Porter Cable machine is a great starter for anyone, its damn near impossible to damage your paint with one of them.

The most important thing out of it all is maintaining your finish once you get there. Always use two buckets when washing your car and use proper wash and drying media.

In many of the pictures there was no LSP (last step product, ex. wax/sealant) , they only change the finish of the car by a small %, it's all about preping the paint and polishing it properly to get a great finish.

I am in south west MI (1hr north Indy boarder), if anyone wants to swing by up here ill gladly show you a thing or two about car care and maybe even help polish your LS4.

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-03-2011, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by boycethechoice
thanks for all the kind words everyone. I'm still trying to figure out what rims they are, the center caps say american racing but I've looked through a few places for them and can't find a match so I'm assuming they are discontinued now. SSC springs are on my list of wants but i'm afraid of rubbing on the fenders, I've had a full car of people before and had issues with the rear tires rubbing the inside of the tire to the wheel well.

It's not all about the machine in polishing it's technique and patience and pratice, it just so happens that the flex or a rotary buffer will remove more swirls faster if you know what you are doing.

Like others have mentioned, the Porter Cable machine is a great starter for anyone, its damn near impossible to damage your paint with one of them.

The most important thing out of it all is maintaining your finish once you get there. Always use two buckets when washing your car and use proper wash and drying media.

In many of the pictures there was no LSP (last step product, ex. wax/sealant) , they only change the finish of the car by a small %, it's all about preping the paint and polishing it properly to get a great finish.

I am in south west MI (1hr north Indy boarder), if anyone wants to swing by up here ill gladly show you a thing or two about car care and maybe even help polish your LS4.

Thanks everyone!
Awesome! Yeah, the rims are perfect for that car, and if you get it lowered it will look even better. I'm thinking about doing that to mine but have to find the right rims, and yours are damn near close. Let me know or us if you find the name of those rims!

P.S...So the porter cable machine is the best way for beginners, along with Adam's or Zaino wax?

thanks!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

the porter cable is one of the good entry buffers out there...mequiars makes one that does the same thing.....you will need polishes not wax....like the OP all of my pics didnt have the LSP on them....polishing is what gets the paint looking deep and wet...there are certain pads that go with each type of polish as well....i have green, orange, and white pads....green is for severe swirls...orange is for moderate and white is for finishing polish.....there are a lot of good products out there...i prefer Adam's....im not a fan of zaino because of the amount of steps that you need to do to get the same results....meguiars 105 and 205 work pretty good along with menzerna like the OP used....and the OP is also right...you can have the best of the best but if you dont have any technique or patients you will get shitty results.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DP 08 GXP
the porter cable is one of the good entry buffers out there...mequiars makes one that does the same thing.....you will need polishes not wax....like the OP all of my pics didnt have the LSP on them....polishing is what gets the paint looking deep and wet...there are certain pads that go with each type of polish as well....i have green, orange, and white pads....green is for severe swirls...orange is for moderate and white is for finishing polish.....there are a lot of good products out there...i prefer Adam's....im not a fan of zaino because of the amount of steps that you need to do to get the same results....meguiars 105 and 205 work pretty good along with menzerna like the OP used....and the OP is also right...you can have the best of the best but if you dont have any technique or patients you will get shitty results.
I'll have patience, I just need to know what to get so i can get started
Old 08-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

wow looks awesome just get the two front window tinted and it will look better
Old 08-03-2011, 04:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nicely done. Your impala looks great. Those wheels look like american racing rebel's.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Thanks again, I think I'll have the fronts tinted soon, I've been pulled over before for tint around here before.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

good job. now come do mine.

Quick Reply: My 2006 Imp SS clean-up