LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

05 GXP: Tune Options

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 GXP: Tune Options

Well, Im in a pickle.

I have a 05 GXP and am looking to get a tuner for the car. I have a Predator lined up for cheap but I have found out that the 05 is not supported with that tuner.

Therefore, I am stuck buying the trinity. That is wayyyy to expensive for my blood, so where is the median?

I was going to do the LS1 intake swap and have the car tuned obviously, but I feel as if I am limited with my car being an 05.

YES, I did read a ton of old threads but I did not have any direct answers to these questions.

Thanks
hazards280
Old 08-22-2011, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

trifecta would probably be able to tune it or Will at overkill might
Old 08-23-2011, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

good luck getting a response from Overkill.....I tried on three separate occasions, basically begging him to reply and take my $ but I never heard a word back from him, and when I was inquiring he never even listed a phone number on his site....
Old 08-23-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jrhartman
good luck getting a response from Overkill.....I tried on three separate occasions, basically begging him to reply and take my $ but I never heard a word back from him, and when I was inquiring he never even listed a phone number on his site....
Wow, thats terrible. I really cannot stand bad customer service. I'm going to be looking into the Trifecta tune or potentially HPtuners. If I do not read some good reviews on those. I might just have to go with the Trinity.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i havent got a reply from will at overkill either
Old 08-23-2011, 10:33 PM
Launching!

Just get the trinity and be done with it, lol. I wouldn't think about getting a tune from one of these other guys, unless it's a dyno tune. I am not sending my pcm out to get a tune, and then if it ever needs changed, do the thing over again. With my trinity, I can have Lew change something at any time I want (if he can) and I don't have to worry about shipping costs or what not. And, since he bases it off logging, its more accurate than your "boxed" tunes. Unless you go get a dyno tune, your best bet is a Trinity/Lew tune. Don't waste your money on anything else. To me, those are the only two options, tune wise, so if you don't want to go either one of them routes, don't get it tuned. At least with the trinity, I get any future updates for free, including the TCM support in the near future. The trinity is well worth it, and if you don't like it, you can turn around and get the money out of it you payed for it, as you simply can't find one less than 600$. Talk to Lew, he has a combo pack that includes the Trinity and his tune for 685$ I believe. You can't beat it. You also get Lew's amazing customer service. Trust me man, its well worth it.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with JWMayes do a dyno or trinity/Lew tune. Also that combo he is talking about is sweet.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Hawkins04
I agree with JWMayes do a dyno or trinity/Lew tune. Also that combo he is talking about is sweet.
It is a good combo, however $600 on a handheld tuner just seems like a lot of money for what it is. I will really have to do some thinking before I commit to buying one.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by brikki8109
How come no one is willing to pick up the HPTuners suite? I don't doubt that Lew does a killer tune, but doesn't anyone else want to be able to do everything themselves?

I have been tuning for a good number of years, and the second I came over to this part of the board, I was kind of awe struck at how many use a canned, or mail in type tune.

That is great news for Lew though.

cheers!
x2, I have been using HP Tuners on my last 3 cars. Best way to go in my opinion.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:17 PM
Launching!

I forgot about HP tuners, but then again, that's one thing I don't want to mess with. So now you have 3 options hazards.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How come no one is willing to pick up the HPTuners suite?
There is a little pit of a learning curve involved with HPtuners. If you don’t know what your doing bad things will happen. That being said HP is bad ***, you have complete control over all the engine commands, A/F ratio, timing, fans, injectors, and the beta has all kinds of options for the trans.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

How come no one is willing to pick up the HPTuners suite? I don't doubt that Lew does a killer tune, but doesn't anyone else want to be able to do everything themselves?

I have been tuning for a good number of years, and the second I came over to this part of the board, I was kind of awe struck at how many use a canned, or mail in type tune.

That is great news for Lew though.

cheers!
I have an HP tune but my good friend tuned it for me.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have heard HP tuners arent for amateurs so i dont think i would mess with one..since i dont know much about any of that stuff
Old 08-24-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
i have heard HP tuners arent for amateurs so i dont think i would mess with one..since i dont know much about any of that stuff
Tuning is not black magic, anyone can learn to use HPT.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:06 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HP Tuners isn't plug and play...

Agreed, people can learn HP Tuners. But I don't recommend anyone make a single mouse click with it before spending a good number of hours studing the software and getting lots of qualified advice. It's very involved to the uninitiated. But yes, those who want to learn and are willing to put the time in can learn tuning. I have not yet elected to spent the time to do so. (i'm too busy writing these long a$$ posts)

Therefore I use HP Tuners with a will overkill tune. I was unable to contact Will initially as well. I don't know if he doesn't get our messages, or what's the deal. But since I read good things about his tune I took the plunge and ordered his reflashed modules from his site without ever talking to him. He quickly acknowledged my order and went to work locating and reprogramming a set of modules for me. The modules I received were from a different year car and ended up causing problems. So I put my stock modules back and he quickly agreed to refund my $ and just let me pay for his tune. I saved my stock tune and loaded his tune to my modules and all is well since. Since then, Will has consulted with me on retuning for my headers, and partially disabling my DOD. The best part of his tune in my opinion is the transmission. Shifts happen firmly and they happen NOW! No more hunting around and delays in shifts. Very nice.

I'm not defending his treatment of prospective customers, just saying I'm happy with his tune.

So my .02: Any noob wanting to tune their car, get a handheld or HP Tuners along with a reputable dyno or mail order tune. Remember, a good mailorder tune is better then a crappy dyno tune. So get tuned from someone who people talk good about. Also, some of the best dyno tuners out there won't know how to tune our transmissions. Will does. Something to consider if you want your trans to shift and operate better.

Also, tuning the trans will only make it "feel" better. It won't really make it better mechanically. The only way to really make it better and live longer is to crack it open and rework the valve body etc etc etc... $ $ $

I don't recommend buying reflashed modules without a handheld or HP tuners. Too difficult to make future changes that way.

Quick Reply: 05 GXP: Tune Options