LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Is this normal or possible warning to all with a Throttle Body Spacer

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this normal or possible warning to all with a Throttle Body Spacer

Ok, my car going back into the shop tomm due to a bog under acceleration in 3rd / 4th gear. It went in 3 weeks ago but of course the dealership blamed my air intake for messing with the throttle blah blah.. So i gave up living with it and threw back in the stock intake as well as removed the Airaid Throttle Body Spacer. I took these pictures with my cell phone so they might not be very good

Now when i was removing the TBS this is what i saw.

As you can see the rubber grommet looks like it exploded or melted and it caked itself all into the air channels i believe.

Looking at the back side of the throttle body, it was also black..

After cleaning it up, this is what it now looks like.

I was excited b/c I though i might of found the problem with the acceleration but after putting everything back together, it still does the bog under 3rd / 4th..

So my question to all the techs and auto guys, is this normal to look like that? Does airaid put shitty gromments on there spacers? Should the throttle body be that dirty with only 43,000 miles on the car?
Old 09-13-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow. that doesnt look normal
Old 09-13-2011, 06:27 PM
12 Second Club

The oily/carbon mist is normal. Take off TB, and you will find oil inside of the intake. You can prevent this with a oil catch can. Our factory PVC is to blame.

The smashed O-ring is not normal. It looks like it was over torqued. Get another O-ring and clean/re-install your intake set up. It is good for a few more HP with tuning.

I would check your spark plugs and wires. Some people have had fouled plugs with less then, the factory rated 100k. For a great deal on NGK plugs and such look here...http://gmls4.com/index.php?topic=356.0

I change my oil and filter every 6k. Every other oil change I pull my MAF and TB and use CRC TB/MAF cleaner. I also use a can of seafoam every 3K in the gas tank. With my catch can I have not burned any oil and the TB looks much cleaner.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

thanks david for the response. I do clean the MAF every 2nd oil change but never cleaned the throttle body till today of course when i saw that.. I dont think I over torqued b/c it was easy for me to remove it with very little torque. The green factory grommet which is attached to the intake manifold was perfectly fine so if i did over torque it, it would of smashed that also since it up against the TBS?

I am canning the TBS as I just dont like the sound of it anymore plus i worried about that rubber getting into my manifold.. The K&N intake will go back on once they fix the problem i having with my car.. I am tired of Dealerships blaming it for this problem.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

I had a huge bog @ part throttle in 2nd gear that when data logging I found that I was seeing ridiculous amounts of KR when it would bog. Now fully tuned I don't get that bog anymore.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 199 Likes on 99 Posts

The O-ring on the throttle body spacer probably was designed around the RWD croud, not the FWD LS4 that has the exhaust pipe an inch or two away from it.

Just add some heat shielding or upgrade the O-ring to something rated for higher temps.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fieroguru
The O-ring on the throttle body spacer probably was designed around the RWD croud, not the FWD LS4 that has the exhaust pipe an inch or two away from it.

Just add some heat shielding or upgrade the O-ring to something rated for higher temps.
the spacer is made for a trailblazer so you may be right
Old 09-14-2011, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

now it makes sense thinking about how close the exhaust is to the throttle body on our cars.. Either way i will pass on putting it back on, i like it being quieter.

Also by the way, they finally determined that the loss of acceleration on 3rd was b/c they torque converter has issues engaing and disagaging.. They will be replacing it but i lose my car for 4-7 days.. Got an Impala LT as a rental, man is it slow.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i never thought about the throttle body location either. i will have to keep an eye out on my TBS.

good luck with that impala...they are slow

Quick Reply: Is this normal or possible warning to all with a Throttle Body Spacer