LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Attention tuning guru's. Can I drive home with 3.69's without tunning? (Update!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
I will try
And if yo do , please take vids !!!
Old 10-14-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
Got the car back today and what a difference!

The shifts are very firm and the 3.69's rock. I wasn't able to use my PI converter due to fittment issuses. The shop tried two different converters from PI and both were cutting up the turbine O-rings. I spoke with Dave and he has seen this issue before and and has agreed to refund my money, so no hard feelings.

The trans seems to be doing just fine in Drive without tuning. I have not beat on in yet and won't until I get my computers back from Dave. Leaving a few lights with a little throttle and the car shoots forward.
Concerning the PI converter. The issue with the o-ring, was this discovered after trans was in and running or noticed as the converter was installed in tranny out of car? Are you referencing the rubber o ring that is on the end of input shaft?
Old 10-14-2011, 10:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by supercatxr7
Concerning the PI converter. The issue with the o-ring, was this discovered after trans was in and running or noticed as the converter was installed in tranny out of car? Are you referencing the rubber o ring that is on the end of input shaft?
It was discovered while trying to put the converter onto the turbine (trans out, and on the bench).
The trans builder said that the converter didn't feel right, so he pulled it off and noticed O-ring damage. I sent the converter back to PI, and they next day aired me a new one. After trying again, the shop ran into the same problem. The builder said the bevel was machined wrong.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:20 AM
sky
Staging Lane

Last week I ordered my TEP tranny with 369's and a 3200 PI converter! I hope I dont run into any problems like you did David. Shooting 4 low 12's! ! ! I also added a 100 shot of N2o lookin 4 low 11's on the kit! ! ! Are the stock axles ok with the 369's? ? ?
Old 10-25-2011, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sky
Last week I ordered my TEP tranny with 369's and a 3200 PI converter! I hope I dont run into any problems like you did David. Are the stock axles ok with the 369's? ? ?
Axles will be fine and you will love the 3.69's.

Here is the response back from Dave, about my two PI converters

I just got a call back from Jack and sure enough both converters did not have the bevel leaving us both scratching our heads as to WHY this even happened. He said the input shafts they used to check with fit fine but they did not have orings on them...... Soooo he got orings and they test fitted everything they have on hand for turbines to make 100% this wont be a problem again. Sorry again for the converter issue and really burns me more than you believe it or not.

Originally Posted by sky
Shooting 4 low 12's! ! ! I also added a 100 shot of N2o lookin 4 low 11's on the kit! ! !
Good luck with traction! 3rd gear comes up real quick with the new gears. You might wanna just spray thru 3rd.

Last edited by DavidGXP; 10-25-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Pay for a tow. Not worth the risk of burning it up.
What does tuning have to do with a transmission burning up or not? This is not an engine where the wrong fueling, spark etc will cause it to run bad and possible cause damage. It's a friggin' transmission...there's no fueling or spark to tune.

The only thing a tune does for a transmission is set the shift points and have the speedometer display right. None of those would cause a transmission to burn up prematurely if tuned incorrectly (or tuned for a different gear set). Now a cammed/heads/turbocharged engine on the stock tune will run bad and can possibly blow up if driven, but not a transmission.

Quick Reply: Attention tuning guru's. Can I drive home with 3.69's without tunning? (Update!!!)