LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Grand Prix vs Monte carlo

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grand Prix vs Monte carlo

If the Monte Carlo and grand prix are pretty much the same vehicle, why is it that Monte's cost around $1-2,000 more than a grand prix, with the same year/trim/miles etc? Ive seen many regular 3.8 montes run for more than a gtp. I don't get it.

I have been looking into the 2000-2003 grand prix gtp's for a "winter beater/dd" as I am not driving my 4th gen F body in snow. I like pretty much everything about the grand prix except the gauge cluster and center counsel setup. For everything that I like about the grand prix, I like about the Monte even better. The only problem being, montes seem to be more expensive for some reason. To me, the gauge cluster design on the grand prix makes you feel like your driving an early 90's pos buick century that takes a week to get to the speed limit. I honestly love the gauge cluster and center counsel design of the Monte. It just seems more high tech and luxary.

What sort of sucks is that apparently the Monte didn't have the supercharger option until 2004. Is the "Intimidator/Dale Earnhardt" Monte the only trim that comes equipped with the supercharger in 04? I would love to have one as a "beater" but don't really feel like spending $8-10 grand on one.

The average Gen II motor I've seen has anywhere from 100,000 to 160,000 miles on it. Is that just the "break in " period for these engines? I would be more worried about the transmission having issues before the 3.8 going out. Only bad thing I've been reading about these engines is high mileage bearing failures, but either way it is an expensive fix for whichever one gives first.

How common is this "key stuck in ignition" issue with the grand prix? Apparently resulting in taking apart some items underneath the steering column. Although, I have not heard anything about this issue with the Monte.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bjorn20
If the Monte Carlo and grand prix are pretty much the same vehicle, why is it that Monte's cost around $1-2,000 more than a grand prix, with the same year/trim/miles etc? Ive seen many regular 3.8 montes run for more than a gtp. I don't get it.

I have been looking into the 2000-2003 grand prix gtp's for a "winter beater/dd" as I am not driving my 4th gen F body in snow. I like pretty much everything about the grand prix except the gauge cluster and center counsel setup. For everything that I like about the grand prix, I like about the Monte even better. The only problem being, montes seem to be more expensive for some reason. To me, the gauge cluster design on the grand prix makes you feel like your driving an early 90's pos buick century that takes a week to get to the speed limit. I honestly love the gauge cluster and center counsel design of the Monte. It just seems more high tech and luxary.

What sort of sucks is that apparently the Monte didn't have the supercharger option until 2004. Is the "Intimidator/Dale Earnhardt" Monte the only trim that comes equipped with the supercharger in 04? I would love to have one as a "beater" but don't really feel like spending $8-10 grand on one.

The average Gen II motor I've seen has anywhere from 100,000 to 160,000 miles on it. Is that just the "break in " period for these engines? I would be more worried about the transmission having issues before the 3.8 going out. Only bad thing I've been reading about these engines is high mileage bearing failures, but either way it is an expensive fix for whichever one gives first.

How common is this "key stuck in ignition" issue with the grand prix? Apparently resulting in taking apart some items underneath the steering column. Although, I have not heard anything about this issue with the Monte.
The first LS4 was produced as a 2005 MY vehicle.

Wrong forum.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Seeing as this is pretty much the only section of this website that deals with grand prix, impalas, and monte carlos, I figured this section would be the best place to ask this question. If any moderator would like to move this thread to the proper section, go right ahead.

But if you want to play it like that, why is it that the 2005 monte carlos are still rated at a price of $1000 more than the 2005 grand prix, for being the same vehicle? The retail price, according to nada, of the grand prix gxp is about the same as a monte carlo ss for the 2005 year. Isnt pontiac supposed to be the "luxary" version of a chevy, for cars anyway?
Old 10-14-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the point of this thread exactly???

Besides complaining about how one car costs more than another.

Monte's are 2 door cars, 2 door cars usually cost more.

Also Pontiac was the "Performance" division at GM, luxury would be Cadillac.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Launching!

Check out this thread for some info on the 3800... https://ls1tech.com/forums/racers-lo...iscussion.html Some good stuff in there and probably a better place to get your answers
Old 10-14-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

My son has a 2000 Grand Prix and and the key sticks every now and then. After being left in the ignition for what seems to be a random amount of time, it eventually comes out on its own. Sometimes it also comes out after the shifter is pressed in a couple of times.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Seeing as this is pretty much the only section of this website that deals with grand prix, impalas, and monte carlos, I figured this section would be the best place to ask this question. If any moderator would like to move this thread to the proper section, go right ahead.

But if you want to play it like that, why is it that the 2005 monte carlos are still rated at a price of $1000 more than the 2005 grand prix, for being the same vehicle? The retail price, according to nada, of the grand prix gxp is about the same as a monte carlo ss for the 2005 year. Isnt pontiac supposed to be the "luxary" version of a chevy, for cars anyway?
2004+ Grand Prixs differ in many ways when compared to the '97-'03s.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:54 AM
Teching In

I owned a 1997 GP GTP and loved it. I was a great car. It was a 4 door but had the supercharged engine that was very quick. Mine had all the options including sunroof/8 speaker system. I did plenty of mods to it also to make it faster included intake, smaller supercharger pulley, downpipe, u-bend exhaust removal, computer tuned. Right out of the box these cars are very quick. I liked having the 4 door option with the Grand Prix. If you are looking I would look for a 2000 GP GTP as those were the best years IMO. Just make sure you put winter tires on it. I had high performance summer tires on my GP and it was near impossible to drive in the winter even being a FWD.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Teching In

Oh and as far as the key stuck in the ignition this does happen to some of the GP's. My bothers GP GTP had this happen and he had to use the key release hole in the bottom the the steering wheel column to get his key out everytime. I never had any issues with mine and I dont think its very "common". I think all that needed it to open up the steering column and replace a part.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a '98 GTP. Much more moddable than our LS4s. Hella fast with just a pulley, CAI, U-bend delete and a tune. Fun car, too. The only think I hated was the Playskool interior.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
I had a '98 GTP. Much more moddable than our LS4s. Hella fast with just a pulley, CAI, U-bend delete and a tune. Fun car, too. The only think I hated was the Playskool interior.
I see you got yourself a Camaro
Old 11-02-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidGXP
I see you got yourself a Camaro
Yup.

It's nice to be rowing the gearbox for myself again.

Now, if I can just resist the urge to do an LS7 swap!
Old 11-02-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Junkie

I have a 96 GTP 2 door and love the car. I have owned it since 99 great car.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

I didnt get a gxp because I feel like pontiacs use cheaper parts and aren't put together on a average as good as as chevy buick etc. Chevy trucks have a reputation of being dependable, which gives chevy a reason to make somewhat decent cars. Pontiacs has no motivation except building off of past sucess. Same reason a Mountaineer is more than the same model yr explorer.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by KurtMCSS
I didnt get a gxp because I feel like pontiacs use cheaper parts and aren't put together on a average as good as as chevy buick etc. Chevy trucks have a reputation of being dependable, which gives chevy a reason to make somewhat decent cars. Pontiacs has no motivation except building off of past sucess. Same reason a Mountaineer is more than the same model yr explorer.
Kurt thats what all company's have are building off past success. You must of forgotten that Pontiac was GM Performance division and they were awesome. GM started sticking there hands in the other division's and screwed everything
up. Old's & Pontiac paid the price for there stupidity. GM was afraid that Chevrolet couldn't stand on its own so they homogenize all brands and shot itself in the foot. They didn't want competition between brands or cars that's also why the Monte Carlo is gone they didn't want two coupes after the same market.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

huh? Bilstien shocks with a lower ride height, Bigger drilled rotors, wider front tires (bridgestone potenzas) for traction and torque steer, Better sportier seats IMO, tapshift just for a sportier fun factor. IDK how you came up with that especially alot of the parts are also the same.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Agreed!!
Old 11-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp
huh? Bilstien shocks with a lower ride height, Bigger drilled rotors, wider front tires (bridgestone potenzas) for traction and torque steer, Better sportier seats IMO, tapshift just for a sportier fun factor. IDK how you came up with that especially alot of the parts are also the same.
Yup, I definitely envy these differences. I wish they would have included all of them in the Monte Dooes the Monte or Impala even have anything exclusively that the GXP doesn't? Other than the DOD indicator and the Monte being a coupe lol.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Thats it.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All LS4 W-Bodys (and majority of v-6s) were built at the same plant, on the same line, and by the same people. Oshawa, Ontario Canada. Where the new camaro is made (amongst others).

Quick Reply: Grand Prix vs Monte carlo