LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Has Anyone ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has Anyone ?

Has anyone rebuilt or repaired their transmission themselves? Mine is jerking in overdrive and I was considering going into it myself....can it be that difficult?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

There are alot of parts in there. I have watched my dad rebuild a few automatics and don't know how he remembers where it all goes. Need a good manual, not some chiltons crap.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

It is not to difficult to do but like said before get a good manual
Old 12-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Launching!

I think the bigger issue is removing it.
If you can get it out, you can probably rebuid it.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

It is doable, but some things are better left to professionals. I am sure your issue is with your torque converter coming apart which is causing metal to go through your valve body, as well as the other factory defects of these transmissions.

Even if you did it yourself you would be hard pressed to get all of the metal out of the lines, cooler, and the rest of the system. Some people have had success with some of the flush kits you buy from Vatozone, but personally after just having mine rebuilt I would not trust them.

My car took 3 hours on a hotflush machine to get all the metal out of my external cooler, internal cooler, and lines. And my car was doing the same thing as you are describing.

Sure you could get a torque converter, transgo shift kit, a sonnax kit, and attempt to do it yourself. It may work for a long time and it may not.

Personally I would not do anything other than a shift kit myself and I consider myself pretty good with cars.

If your on a budget it may be worth the gamble though.

I had mine done by St.Croix Falls Transmission in St.Croix Falls Wisconsin by someone that knows these 4t65e's inside and out. It was well worth the money, its the tranny it should have had from the factory.