LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Transmission on its way out

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 08:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission on its way out

Well this morning going to work I started noticing a whining noise . So I got I work put it park noise was gone, put it back in drive and whining noise started . So I drive around and notice that once the TC locks up noise is gone . My question is . Is it still driveable ? How much longer can it be used ? Can't afford a repair right now budget is very tight till about March . Thanks
Old 12-20-2011, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by smokin06impala ss
Well this morning going to work I started noticing a whining noise . So I got I work put it park noise was gone, put it back in drive and whining noise started . So I drive around and notice that once the TC locks up noise is gone . My question is . Is it still driveable ? How much longer can it be used ? Can't afford a repair right now budget is very tight till about March . Thanks
When I got mine back after the trans was replaced the second time, it did the exact same thing. When I did the TEP mods shortly thereafter and installed the Precision converter, then it went away.

I would say something is awry in the converter. If you don't have another car to drive, then you're just going to have to roll the dice. It's impossible to say how long it will last. You could have the noise and no other problems for thousands of mile, or, it could it die tomorrow. The one thing I've learned with these trannys is that there is no typical situation. I know that AlabamaGuy has had weird things happening with his trans for years and thousands of miles, but it's still holding up. You just never know.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:10 PM
12 Second Club

I think there was a thread about noise posted a few months ago and it ended up being the front pump. You might want to take it in for diagnosis.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
When I got mine back after the trans was replaced the second time, it did the exact same thing. When I did the TEP mods shortly thereafter and installed the Precision converter, then it went away.

I would say something is awry in the converter. If you don't have another car to drive, then you're just going to have to roll the dice. It's impossible to say how long it will last. You could have the noise and no other problems for thousands of mile, or, it could it die tomorrow. The one thing I've learned with these trannys is that there is no typical situation. I know that AlabamaGuy has had weird things happening with his trans for years and thousands of miles, but it's still holding up. You just never know.
Well for at least three weeks I can use my wifes car since kids are out of school for that time but after that I might have to just risk driving it hopefully it holds up for a couple of months.
Originally Posted by DavidGXP
I think there was a thread about noise posted a few months ago and it ended up being the front pump. You might want to take it in for diagnosis.
Just yesterday I was talking about getting a different tuner and today my trans starts doing these this crap. Your right I might just have to get it diagnosised and hopefully its nothing major.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well took it to a highly recommend transmission shop and well the results are , need to replace TC and 1-2 clutch packs. So Im going to rebulid it in Feb. but in the meanwhile he said I could drive it just have to baby it and it will last me a couple of months.

He checked by trans tune and said it was WAY to aggresive, so I had to pay him retune it . He changed alot of stuff in the tables , he said that the tuner had put my 3 to 1 shift at 51 MPH ! no wonder the other day I was going 50 MPH and when I hammered it ,it downshifted to 1st . It felt nasty even made 2nd gear chirp.