LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Need help with g/f's stratus coolant issue +cel

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with g/f's stratus coolant issue +cel

Having some issues with the g/f's car which is giving me hell.
Its a 2006 dodge stratus sxt w/ 2.7l v6
First issue was no heat, so i changed the t-stat, then noticed a leak at the upper water outlet that housed the coolant sensor so i replaced that as well. Autozone had gave me a bad sensor and that caused me thru a lot of hell untill i once again swapped that part out again. Everything was fine for about 3 weeks and then she told me her check engine light was on. So i scanned a p0128 (Coolant temp BELOW t-stat regulating temp. She had also mentioned hearing bubbling coming from the car (coolant boiling in overflow resovoir) Took the car out with me tonight and outside was 40 degrees. I was on the highway going about 75 mph for about 10 minutes, When i got off the exit i noticed steam blowing from under the hood at the rez so i jacked the heat to full to get where i was going. Temp was at normal on the cluster. When i had the first c/o sensor and housing it would overheat and not budge from cold mark but maybe a 1/8" I got to where i was going and the coolant was all over. couldnt find where it was coming from but it looked like it had came from around the rez but not from the overflow tube? I am lost for what to do now? The research i did for the code said it was either iat, coolant sensor, or t-stat. 2 of 3 have been replaced. one being replaced twice. I dont know where to go from here except change the pressure cap on the rez? the fans seem to come on and off normal and maintain temp according to cluster? Car has 86k and im ready to trade it in!!!! If i dont get this corrected ASAP then i have to pull my GXP out of winter storage for her to drive which i obv. dont want to do!!!!!!! Any advice out there?
Old 12-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Launching!

May have the g/f convinced to trade in her stratus for a 07 gp gt supercharged identical to my gxp minus the obvious...
Old 12-28-2011, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

You may have to bleed air out of the system when topping it off. It could also be the water pump going bad. Make sure while the engine is at temp the radiator lines are firm and have fluid running through them.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Sounds like poor circulation. Plugged radiator?
Old 12-28-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by heavyft
You may have to bleed air out of the system when topping it off. It could also be the water pump going bad. Make sure while the engine is at temp the radiator lines are firm and have fluid running through them.
This.

There may be some bubbles in the system. They could be from improper fill or introduced by a failing water pump. I'd check out a service manual for the car and see if there's a procedure for filling the cooling system, but this after getting it pressure tested.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:43 PM

Sounds like you may need to burp your coolant system(air pocket may be causing this) or you have a pluuged up spt inside your system and then you may ant tohave it power flushed at a shop
Old 01-04-2013, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mechanic1970
Sounds like you may need to burp your coolant system(air pocket may be causing this) or you have a pluuged up spt inside your system and then you may ant tohave it power flushed at a shop
In sure the problem was solved in the last year!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Launching!

problem solved, poured a can head gasket fix in it, clogged the heater core, waited for a nice cool day, then traded it in for a TBSS at BB value.

Quick Reply: Need help with g/f's stratus coolant issue +cel