LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

The End Of Another GXP

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The End Of Another GXP

At 79,000 miles and change I lost my second transmission. The first one had gone under warranty so I hadn't felt the pain of the lose. I fixed the car up with a rebuild and promptly dropped it at the Hyundai dealership as a trade in for a Genesis R-Spec.

I still somewhat disgusted at myself for not buying an American car. My grandfather sold American cars, two of my uncles worked for GM, and I interned there in college. The whole LS4 transmission issue has just left a bad taste in my mouth.

At the same time the car dying is a weight off my shoulders. I knew this was coming. I knew this even though I never took it to the track, even though I changed the transmission fluid regularly, even though I always had the trans fluid temp displayed on the computer and made sure it never went about 200 degrees. I babied the car and in the end the difference was:

First transmission: 34,000 miles
Second transmission: 45,000 miles

I lived in fear of every jerk that came from it shifting. I constantly checked my transmission fluid's color, level, and everything. I crawled under the car and bolted on a finned cooling pan to keep the trans temp lower. That bought me 11k miles at the end of it.

All the while as all our cars failed GM kept saying nothing was wrong. It wasn't their fault (despite the fact everyone's transmission is failing left and right). When the transmission failed I still loved the car enough to call up GM and ask them if they'd pay part of the replacement due to the documented history of problems (haha stupid me) and even now I still miss the sound of a LS series V8.

It just sucks though. 5 years ago if you told me I'd buy a non-GM product I'd have laughed in your face. 2 transmission failures later, and 5 years of stressing out every time I hit the gas and felt any kind of vibration (plus run arounds for GM customer service folks), you'd have to pay me to drive something off GM's lot.

So I wish you all the best and I guess the new cynical me has to say "Get out while the car still has some trade in value".
Old 12-28-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 05CherryGXP
At 79,000 miles and change I lost my second transmission. The first one had gone under warranty so I hadn't felt the pain of the lose. I fixed the car up with a rebuild and promptly dropped it at the Hyundai dealership as a trade in for a Genesis R-Spec.

I still somewhat disgusted at myself for not buying an American car. My grandfather sold American cars, two of my uncles worked for GM, and I interned there in college. The whole LS4 transmission issue has just left a bad taste in my mouth.

At the same time the car dying is a weight off my shoulders. I knew this was coming. I knew this even though I never took it to the track, even though I changed the transmission fluid regularly, even though I always had the trans fluid temp displayed on the computer and made sure it never went about 200 degrees. I babied the car and in the end the difference was:

First transmission: 34,000 miles
Second transmission: 45,000 miles

I lived in fear of every jerk that came from it shifting. I constantly checked my transmission fluid's color, level, and everything. I crawled under the car and bolted on a finned cooling pan to keep the trans temp lower. That bought me 11k miles at the end of it.

All the while as all our cars failed GM kept saying nothing was wrong. It wasn't their fault (despite the fact everyone's transmission is failing left and right). When the transmission failed I still loved the car enough to call up GM and ask them if they'd pay part of the replacement due to the documented history of problems (haha stupid me) and even now I still miss the sound of a LS series V8.

It just sucks though. 5 years ago if you told me I'd buy a non-GM product I'd have laughed in your face. 2 transmission failures later, and 5 years of stressing out every time I hit the gas and felt any kind of vibration (plus run arounds for GM customer service folks), you'd have to pay me to drive something off GM's lot.

So I wish you all the best and I guess the new cynical me has to say "Get out while the car still has some trade in value".
I totally understand your frustration, and, having gone through two trannys my self, I can't blame you for looking elsewhere. I consider myself a hardcore GM guy, but I don't begrudge you one bit for buying an import, even though you may get flamed here for it.

I had already decided that our Impala will go away if the trans fails again. So far, we've gone nearly 50k miles since the TEP upgrades were done, and it's still going strong, knock on wood.

Good luck in the future and let us know how you like your Genesis.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

I have an 05 gxp also. I have about 58k on it. I was just wondering did you replace the transmission with when it went bad both times? Was it the same problem? I know im probably going to have to be saving up for a rebuild sometime in the future, I just wanted to know.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to hear about the loss but I understand why you left I thoght about selling out 6 months ago myself. I hope you like the new car.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

I guess I am just lucky. 65000+ and my first trans is still going strong. I hope you enjoy the rice.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Did you get the sedan or coupe and what engine 5.0 V8 or 3.8 V6?
Old 12-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Launching!

op kinda made me sad
Old 12-29-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kweevuss
I have an 05 gxp also. I have about 58k on it. I was just wondering did you replace the transmission with when it went bad both times? Was it the same problem? I know im probably going to have to be saving up for a rebuild sometime in the future, I just wanted to know.
I lost 1st gear both times. Other people have had other issues though (some people lose 2nd or their torque converter). In both cases my chain spewed so much metal over the transmission the dealer told me I'd be better off with a remanufactured transmission. The dealer said by the time he cleaned up the metal and ordered all the parts, I'd have spent more in labor. So if you want to keep the car, you'll likely need to pay ~2,800 for a remanufactured transmission. It does come with a 3 year/100k warranty though.

Originally Posted by Mels SS
Did you get the sedan or coupe and what engine 5.0 V8 or 3.8 V6?
5.0 V8 sedan. 429 horsepower. The only downside is you have to rev that sucker up to 6,400 rpm to make max horsepower. It does not have a lot of low end power. It's also a direct injected V8 which is awesome from a technological standpoint, but means it doesn't have that low growl you'd expect from a 5 liter V8.

It's not really a stop light to stop light bruiser, but if you're doing 65 mph and decide you need to pass a semi, tap the gas and a moment later you're doing 80 mph.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear that,as much as I hated when my first trans that went out.I bought an upgraded one and have not had a problem. TEP has a way with these trans,street or strip use that motha ****** holds up!I'm a little over 10k now,I wanna see it last 100k with no problem.

And good luck with your new car
Old 12-29-2011, 07:00 PM
12 Second Club

429hp? Wow.. I'm around 430ish and I bet your car weighs a lot less!
If I had to get a new car I would get a 5.0 mustang. I don't Wanna another car payment again. So it won't happen. I will just keep throwing money into the gxp
Old 12-30-2011, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

i've heard that they are nice cars, I just couldn't imagine paying >$50k for a Hyundai
Old 12-30-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

I heard there going to put that 5.0 in the coupe.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jrhartman
i've heard that they are nice cars, I just couldn't imagine paying >$50k for a Hyundai
There are people getting them for 40K or so I believe.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:56 PM
Teching In

your story brings a deep sadness to my heart.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cacicgtp7
There are people getting them for 40K or so I believe.
My off the lot pricing was a few grand under 40k. I live in in a part of Michigan though that has a lot of auto engineers and very few people buy foreign since they have family connections back to various manufacturers and hence the family discount. Trading the GXP in covered about a quarter of the price, so I'm out the door for under 30k. The dealer told me on the coasts they're moving for around 40k, plus or minus 2 grand.

Oh and the other fun part about GM:

When I called up their cost assistance people to talk to them about the transmission and maybe GM helping out a bit (money isn't an issue, but I feel like they owe us all at least some help on the trans due to the widespread nature of the problems) they told me:

"You need to pay 400 dollars more to have the dealer tear down the transmission. After that we'll determine if we help you or not. We will NOT cover the 400 dollar tear down and there is no guarantee we'll help."

It's like they wanted me to go buy from another manufacturer...
Old 01-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Teching In

im new. can anybody point me in the direction of this TEP transmission or what it is? I'm having TC lockup issues on mine now with 54k on the clock.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by ryans06gxp
im new. can anybody point me in the direction of this TEP transmission or what it is? I'm having TC lockup issues on mine now with 54k on the clock.
http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/Transmissions.html

Quick Reply: The End Of Another GXP